Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Animals No Longer at Cleveland Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by cloudedleopard, 5 Aug 2014.

1. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unless Im mistaken the most amazing species Cleveland ever had is missing from this list - a NIGERIAN Pygmy Hippo (Choeropsis heslopi),now thought extinct - in the early fifties (1952?).If this is correct it may have been the ONLY one ever kept in a zoo.

2. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This has been debunked - the animal in question was from Liberia, not Nigeria.
    A 1960 Cleveland guide says that a pygmy hippo received in May 1955 reportedly originated in Nigeria. However, this turned out to be incorrect.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2015
  3. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also unknow to many the zoo also did have a Cuscus. It was never on public display but was rather kept in the basement of the current Primate/ aquatic building. I remember seeing it, but like most nocturnal species was sleeping and only saw it's body on the tree in the cage it was in.

4. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

...additional species Metroparks (Cleveland) Zoo had also:

American Alligators

African Hunting Dog

Bateleur Eagle

Harpy Eagle

American River Otters

Prairie Dog's

Springhare

Red Lechwe ( note: for a brief time they didn't last long cause they learned to jump out of the exhibit )

Last edited: 22 May 2017
  5. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

The zoo had a ground cuscus on display in the old nocturnal section at one point as well - I remember it well, as that was the first time I saw the species. I don't have too many memories of specific exhibits in the nocturnal section, but I do recall the ground cuscus and springhare.