Join our zoo community

Saint Louis Zoo Animals taken indoors

Discussion in 'United States' started by Tree_Frog, 14 Mar 2015.

1. Tree_Frog

Tree_Frog New Member

Hi all, I was wondering if someone knows under what weather condtiions (cold temps, snow, etc) the zookeepers in St Louis move the animals indoors or is there a time of year the animals or more likely to be indoors. We're thinking about taking a trip to the zoo sometime this year but would rather see the animals outdoors. I know some of them have a premanent residence inside. Thanks for the assistance.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think all zoos in cold weather climates have specific guidelines for each specific animal. (For example - and I am just making up these numbers - giraffes go out if it is over 50 farenheit, etc).

Since you will be visiting in early Spring, I imagine the weather could be either blissfully warm or brutally cold or anywhere in between. Unless you live close enough to plan your trip with a day or two notice, I doubt there is a way to guarantee sightings. However, for specific animal guidelines you would need to contact the zoo directly. I am sure they will be very happy to answer your question.