Join our zoo community

Animals that are only found in one American zoo or aquarium

Discussion in 'United States' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 10 Jun 2017.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Do any of you know an animal that can be found in one facility? For example, manta rays can be only found in captivity at the Georgia aquarium. I'm asking this question to figure out what zoo/aquarium I'm going to next. Any answer is helpful. Thanks!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Wallcreeper is only held at Alpenzoo Innsbruck.

Semioptera likes this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is this supposed to be "one facility in the USA" (given that it is to do with which zoo you'll visit next)?

For example, mantas are kept at more aquariums than Georgia - that is just the only one in America.

4. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think so.I think okinawa,ocean park hong kong, and some other aquarium in asia definitely have them.I think SEA also have them?

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think of amazon river dolphin in duisburg,and numbat in perth(?)(I'm not sure if other zoo hold this),Caspian seal in kamogawa(?)(I'm not sure if any russian zoo/aquarium hold this),flying fish in kamogawa and uakari in LA zoo(any south american zoo hold them?)Also formosan serow in taipei zoo.

6. TheEthiopianWolf03

Yes I mean American zoos. European zoos work also. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've moved the thread and modified the title.

8. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@aardvark250

3 zoos in the world keep Amazon river dolphin, actually. As you said Duisburg keep an elderly individual but Acuariuo de Valencia in Venezuela also keeps some along with Zoologico de Guistochoca in Peru.

As far as I'm aware Healesville Sanctuary and a few other Australian zoos (along with Perth) keep numbats.

There are South American zoos with Uakaris, such as Huachipa if they still keep some.

I don't know about the others, sorry.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2017
    TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Some here for you, @TheEthiopianWolf03 :

The Los Angeles Zoo holds the only red uakaris in North America. They are not officially on-display, but the enclosure (and usually the monkeys themselves) are visible at a distance from the walking path.

The Dallas World Aquarium is likely to be a treasure trove in this instance, as I believe it is the only holder of many species in North America. Unique mammals include three-toed sloth, red howler, red-backed bearded saki, and yapok; many of the bird species held at DWA are not found anywhere else in the country (umbrellabird, black hawk-eagle, and curl-crested jay, for example).

Bronx Zoo probably has several unique species (@ThylacineAlive would know), the only one I can think of right now is the ring-tailed mongoose.

SeaWorld San Diego: emperor penguin
    Palm Beach Zoo: Pondicherry vulture
    Cincinnati Zoo: aardwolf and Gray's crowned guenon? (not entirely sure, @Moebelle or @Kudu21 could confirm)
    Denver Zoo: Lake Titicaca frog (known crudely in some circles as "scrotum frog")

Gladys Porter has had some rare hoofstock in the past, I don't know if any remain.

10. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brookfield Zoo used to keep the only red-face spider monkey in the United States, Esmeralda, who passed away of old age in 2016. Although a few facilities will soon display them, I believe Brookfield is currently the only one displaying White-bellied Tree pangolions?

Pittsburgh Zoo was the last American facility to hold the Amazon river dolphin, who died in 2002.

I love my local facilities, but can't much recommend them for rare species.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  11. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We shouldn't forget Philadelphia - home of the last Red-shanked Douc Langur in America.

12. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Up until recently the Cincinnati Zoo house the only Sumatran Rhinoceros in the captivity and like wise for San Diego who housed the last Northern White Rhinos in captivity

13. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Omaha should still have some, right?
    There is some doubt about whether the species is still in the collection. The aquarium keeps changing its answer.
    Correct on both counts. They also keep the only on-exhibit banded palm civet.
    Harnessed bushbuck. Gladys Porter also keeps the only long-nosed potoroos and only Guatemalan mantled howler in the country.

Bronx- guanay cormorant (seasonally off exhibit), Peruvian pelican, hoopoe

San Diego Zoo- capuchin babbler, sociable weaver, Talaud red and blue lory, collared lory, presumably more

San Diego Zoo Safari Park- goliath heron, Barbary deer, Western European roller (?), purple roller (?), Ugandan kob

Toledo Zoo- white-headed vulture (if it's still alive)

Zoo Miami- red-billed malkoha (on exhibit)

Capital of Texas Zoo- fanaloka

Ría Grande Zoo- Tasmanian wombat

Reid Park Zoo- black-faced friarbird

Los Angeles Zoo- Chinese giant salamander (on exhibit- do Cincinnati and Saint Louis still keep any?)

St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park- white-crowned hornbill (B. cornatus), desert crocodile, mugger crocodile (I know it's in private trade but any other zoos?)

Georgia Aquarium- whale shark

Adventure Aquarium- great hammerhead shark

Mandalay Bay Aquarium- Galápagos shark

Mystic Aquarium- spotted seal (?)

Detroit Zoo- harp seal (still alive?)

National Aquarium in Baltimore- Irwin's snapping turtle, northern Australian snapping turtle (E. dentata), various odd frogs (mostly off exhibit)

More, including DWA, later.

14. TheEthiopianWolf03

I visited the LA zoo's website and it looks like the red uakaris are on exhibit in the rainforests of America section. Since LA zoo is closer to me, that will probably be my first visit.

Looks like there are a lot more than I expected. Thanks for helping me out!

15. drill

drill Well-Known Member

the Shark Rays at Newport Aquarium, Beal's four eyed turtles at Tennessee Aquarium, African darters, Chestnut bellied seed finches, and Green-backed twinspots at Burgers Zoo, Tiger sharks at a aquarium in Japan, Kultarr at Alice Springs Desert Park, and Lumholtz's tree kangaroo at David Fleay Wildlife park come to mind.

16. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, I didn't know all these species were kept in America! (Check out the title of the thread)

Coincidentally, the African darter is kept in San Diego Zoo Safari Park, though I believe the San Diego Zoo may have some as well.

There is a tiger shark at Maui Ocean Center.

San Diego Zoo Safari Park also seems to have America's only white-breasted cormorants.

Zoo Miami seems to have the only Javan cochoa.

Now, for the Dallas World Aquarium (I assure you I probably missed a/some species: Venezuelan red howler, brown-throated three toed sloth, curl-crested jay (if they have it), three-wattled bellbird, Guianan red cotinga (if they have it), scarlet cock-of-the-rock, thick-billed euphonia, resplendent quetzal, crested quetzal, tyrant hawk-eagle, Guaianan crested eagle, black-and-white hawk eagle, saffron toucanet, fire-billed aracari, many-banded aracari, prong-billed barbet (if still present), versicolored barbet, red-capped manakin, blue-crowned manakin, lance-tailed manakin, little tinamou, Antillean manatee, yapok, and even more small species behind the scenes.

iluvwhales and Nikola Chavkosk like this.
  17. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw Shark Rays at Mandalay Bay, I also know that the Adventure aquarium has them and I believe Aquarium of the Pacific.

18. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I have seen them in several aquariums, including Mandalay Bay (as you said), the Georgia Aquarium and the Grapevine Sea Life Aquarium. Newport makes a big deal about them, but because I had seen them before many times I was genuinely not that impressed by them.

19. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They make a big deal about them because they are the most successful place to breed them, which little is known to the world about that entire process.

Coelacanth18 and d1am0ndback like this.
  20. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As of now (about to change soon with San Diego) Bronx is the only place in America holding Geladas
    (If the zoo still displays them,) they also have only Maxwell's Duiker in the World
    Javan Lutung I'm also unaware of other zoos
    I believe @jayjds2 mentioned all the birds, although the zoo does keep some birds which are fairly rare such as capuchin bird, maleo, white throated bee eater, etc...