Join our zoo community

Planet Zoo Animals That Planet Zoo Needs!

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by hudson111, 19 Feb 2021.

1. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree that the aye-aye will win out, but if we got both, I'd be super glad! :D
    Although I would prioritize many of the other nocturnal creatures; tazzies, kiwis, porcupines, small cats, procyonids, etc.

James Barber likes this.
  2. BetoYoung

BetoYoung Well-Known Member

i think they explicitly north american beaver, because it's generally found in north america, and racccons not only live in north america but also in europe and asia.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  3. BetoYoung

oh i didnt know that burrowing owls weren't nocturnal, i always thought that all owl species were nocturnal.

JigerofLemuria and Corangurilla like this.
  4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Raccoons are only native to the Americas though. They're introduced to Europe and Asia.

Quite a number of owls are actually primarily diurnal only, and a great many can be active day or night (including the Burrowing). Relatively few owls are strictly active at night, though most species exhibit preference for dusk or nocturnal habits.

5. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

I guess there’s also Cozumel/Pygmy Raccoons (not sure if they’re nocturnal, though).

6. BetoYoung

ah yes, that's it

7. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am specifically waiting for the Tokyo Sea Life Park Animal Pack. Featuring Pacific Bluefin Tuna, Ocellated Icefish, Old Wife, Whitebarred Boxfish, Kuroda's Sea Hare, Nurseryfish, Brooding Snake Star, and Giant Hawkfish.

8. Corangurilla

Retroactively Adding Birds to Every Prior Planet Zoo DLC

Now that we have the Egyptian Fruit Bat, many Planet Zoo fans suspect an aviary/bird DLC in the future. I don't think it's the next DLC, but I think we might get one in spring of 2023 (because birds=eggs=Easter, kind of a stretch, but I think it works). Nothing is confirmed for now, but here are some birds that I would add that fit the themes of every previous DLC (except the Twilight Pack because we already have the bats, which aren't birds, but they fill the role of flying animal).

• Arctic Pack: There is only one correct choice here: Snowy Owl. Probably the most distinct-looking owl in the world, near-synonymous with the Arctic circle, what else can I say?
    • South America Pack: There are so many iconic South American birds I could've picked, from Toco Toucan to Harpy Eagle, but I had to choose a species of macaw. It feels wrong to only choose one color, but the Scarlet Macaw's iconic primary colors made it the clear choice.
    • Australia Pack: We got a tie! The Laughing Kookaburra has a distinctive cry that would make it a superb chorus-caller, while the Rainbow Lorikeet can be kept in larger numbers and is more colorful. Which of these Australian avian icons is better? You decide!
    • Aquatic Pack: Give it up for the all-terrain auk of awesomeness: the Atlantic Puffin! We've got a bird that can fly and deep dive, is one of the most iconic European animals not in the game, and is one of the most underrated animals in the world, IMO. Might be a little hard to implement thanks to the flight+diving combo, but it'll be worth it!
    • Southeast Asian Animal Pack: Rhinoceros Hornbill! I've wanted this bird for the better part of a year, and while some people might prefer the Great Indian Hornbill, the Rhinoceros Hornbill is more endangered.
    • Africa Pack: Time to play "Which Old World Vulture is the Best?" Lappet-Faced? Ruppell's Griffon? White-Backed? Egyptian?
    • North American Animal Pack: What could be more American than the Bald Eagle?
    • Europe Pack: Hoopoe or Eurasian Eagle Owl.
    • Wetlands Animal Pack: Guam Kingfisher is super rare, and would have a distinct diving animation.
    • Conservation Pack: California Condor. Most iconic Critically Endangered bird, IMO, and also HUGE.

9. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Okay if we are talking about walkthrough enclosures then I think any species of callichtrid would be nice for SA pack with squirrel monkey as an alternative. For Europe pack I would go with red squirrel. And I think the walldrapp ibis is more iconic than the Californian condor.

10. BetoYoung

answering that vulture's question, i would say the best is the white backed vulture, it's majestic, critically endangered and it's very common in european zoos, especially in the uk.

11. BetoYoung

well, since everyone is talking about the high probability of the next pack be a bird pack, i will make my own list from the former dlcs that could have birds:
    Deluxe Edition: I personally think that a green peafowl could fit to the deluxe edition, i know it's another peafowl, but they live in a different region of the indian peafowl, and they live in grasslands and it's another endangered bird to the game.
    Arctic Pack: the most obvious pick would be a snowy owl, it lives in cold climates from north america to eurasia, and it's one of the most iconic owls, another alternative could be the red breasted goose, and it would be our first goose to be added to the game.
    South America Pack: There are many south america birds that i don't think i would choose one, but if i had to, i would choose the scarlet macaw, it's very common in captivity like the other macaw species, and another alternative, could be the greater rhea and it would get a bonus interspecies with the capybara, baird's tapir and maybe the llama.
    Australia Pack: Australia is a land of many beautiful birds, but this time is a tie, i would be so undecided to choose between the sulphur crested cockatoo or the kookaburra, both extremely common in zoos, and very iconic to the general public, for ground birds, i would easily choose emu, and the kangaroos and koalas would have another mate to share their habitat.
    Aquatic Pack: There are many seabirds than just penguins, i think a bird that could be a great choice would be the atlantic puffin, it would be a bird that could fly and could use the diving deep mechanics, it would be a great combo, another alternative would be the gentoo penguin and the king penguin would have a new friend to share their habitat.
    Southeast Asia Animal pack: While i prefer the Great Hornbill, the Rhinoceros Hornbill would be a great choice, it's endangered and common in captivity, for ground birds i would choose the himalayan monal, and the himalayan region will be more than red pandas and snow leopards.
    Africa Pack: Africa has so many incredible birds, i think the white backed vulture would be my obvious choice, it's critically endangered, it's common in european zoos, another alternative could be the southern ground hornbill, and could live with giraffes, zebras, antelopes and other african ungulates in the game.
    North America Animal Pack: I don't think people would complain in having another bird that is similar to what is in the game, in this case i would pick the whooping crane, it's endangered and have a great history in breeding programs that were able to make them return to the wild, another alternative would be the great roadrunner, and it would be another desert animal, and it would fit to the north american sections.
    Europe Pack: My definitive choice would be the eurasian eagle owl, it's one of the largest owls in the world, it's widely spread in europe and asia, and we could fit to the european sections, for ground birds, it's a tie again, so i would choose the western capercailie or the white stork.
    Wetlands Animal Pack: Scarlet Ibis would be my personal choice, it's very common in zoos around the world, and are often kept in south american sections and another alternative would be the southern screamer, endemic to south america and lives in the brazilian pantanal.
    Conservation Pack: My obvious choice would be the spix's macaw, one of the most rarest birds in the planet, we would have our first bird that is extinct in the wild, but they are starting to make their comeback in caatinga in the city of Curaçá in Bahia.
    Twilight Pack: I've seen everyone saying that owls would fit in this pack, but i think the correct choice in my opinion, would be the common raven, it's widely spreaded like the red fox, and has a scream that is often used in horror movies.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2022
  12. Corangurilla

I intentionally avoided going for wading birds because they could happen in the game as we know it now without flying mechanics (even if they would benefit from them). I went with the Condor to give North America another animal+their immense size.

13. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Waldrapp are considered as non-wading amongst ibises and are instead native to arid and montane areas.

14. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They still maintain the classic wading bird build though. Worth noting several Ibis species have been modded in off the peafowl rig.

15. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I may as well join this trend too! I'll try to offer something different from the rest of you to add some spice ;)
    - Deluxe edition; for this one, I'll add the quintessential zoo bird, the blue and gold macaw (the scarlet was close behind), seeing as it would also buff the very poor South/Central American base game roster.
    - Arctic pack: while the snowy owl is an obvious choice, I'll go for the barnacle goose; waterfowl are extremely typical in zoos, and I think more should be added.
    - South America pack: with a macaw already added, not many animals can complement them better than the keel-billed toucan, whose rainbow colours are known and beloved worldwide.
    - Australia pack: laughing kookaburra and rainbow lorikeet aside, the other iconic Australian bird, the sulphur-crested cockatoo, would be an excellent addition to the roster.
    - Aquatic pack: the Atlantic puffin is the inevitable choice for a small, flying bird, but I'll go bigger and mention the Dalmatian pelican, though any pelican species will do. I chose this one for its wide geographic range and being the largest species.
    - Southeast Asia pack: My choice of hornbill (because come on, what other type of bird would be chosen for this pack?) Is the Knobbed hornbill, due to its beautiful colour and sexual dimorphism.
    - Africa pack: as cool as vultures are, the secretary bird is one of the most requested African birds, and I feel this would be the perfect occasion to include them.
    - North America pack: the bald eagle is the obvious choice, so I'll go in another direction and shout out the endangered thick-billed parrot of southern North America.
    - Europe pack: of the many beautiful birds of Europe, the great spotted woodpecker strikes me as beautiful and classic, an unforgettable denizen of the deep pine forests.
    - Wetlands pack: with the absence of the bald eagle from my list, I'll add the very similar African fish eagle into the bird slot for this DLC pack.
    - Conservation pack: among all the critically endangered birds to choose from, I'll go for the Bali mynah in this spot, although the Socorro dove is also well worth reconsidering.
    - Twilight pack: owls are a no-brainer for this theme, and to accompany the Egyptian fruit bat, I'm chosing the Verreaux's eagle-owl, one of the largest and fiercest of their family.

16. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Now that a month or two has passed since the release of the Twilight Pack. Once again, I have returned to the realm of speculation to not only update my current roster of pack ideas; but to also create my own roadmap for what the future may hold for the game. With that being said, here are my plans about this possible roadmap, and the very ideas of mine for each of these packs:

Highlands Animal Pack: - (December 2022; formerly known as the Mountain Pack)
    - Spectacled/Andean Bear,
    - Wolverine,
    - Gelada,
    - Rocky Mountain Elk/Wapiti,
    - Markhor,
    - Mountain Hare,
    - Pallas’s Cat,
    - Kea. - (walkthrough exhibit)

Arboreal Animal Pack: - (Spring 2023; formerly known as the Tropical Pack)

- Lar Gibbon,
    - Matschie’s Tree Kangaroo,
    - Southern Tamandua,
    - Margay, - (if not, then the Fossa)
    - North American Porcupine,
    - De Brazza’s Monkey,
    - European Pine Marten,
    - Panther Chameleon. - (exhibit; if not, then Emerald Tree Boa)

Drylands Pack: - (Summer 2023; formerly known as the Desert Pack)

- Dromedary Camel,
    - Sand Cat, - (if not, then the Caracal)
    - Short-Beaked Echidna,
    - Greater Roadrunner, - (if not, then Collared Peccary)
    - Desert Rosy Boa. - (exhibit)

“Children’s Zoo” Pack: - (Autumn 2023, new)

- Nigerian Dwarf Goat,
    - South American Coatimundi,
    - Bennett’s Wallaby,
    - Guianan Squirrel Monkey,
    - Budgerigar. > (walkthrough exhibit)

Airborne Animal Pack: - (Winter 2023)

- Snowy Owl,
    - California Condor,
    - Scarlet Macaw, - (alternatively Hyacinth)
    - Rhinoceros Hornbill,
    - Laughing Kookaburra,
    - Nicobar Pigeon,
    - Roseate Spoonbill, - (if not, then Red-Crested Turaco)
    - Giant Hummingbird. > (walkthrough exhibit)

Last edited: 1 Nov 2022
  17. BetoYoung

well, since we got an anniversary animal that isn't based in a base game animal, i will make my roster about based dlc animals that could be added to the base game.
    1. Southern Tamandua
    2. Ocelot
    3. Guanaco
    4. Eastern Grey Kangaroo
    5. Fishing Cat
    6. Grey Langur
    7. Banteng
    8. Blackbuck
    9. Southern Rockhopper Penguin
    10. Bobcat
    11. Wapiti
    12. Chamois
    13. Grey Crowned Crane
    14. Lar Gibbon
    15. African Leopard
    16. Vampire Bat
    17. Bat Eared Fox
    18. Arctic Ground Squirrel

18. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With the addition of the walkthrough exhibits and flying birds now being viable, I definitely have ideas for what we should get!

For starts, I. Want. Parrots. Really, they could make a model for the scarlet macaw and modify it a little to get a military macaw and blue and gold macaw. Easy way to get iconic species with some color diversity. They could probably do something similar with lorikeets as well. Really want the rainbow one, the dusky lory and the red lory would be cool too. Sun conure and nanday conure would be nice. Gotta have cockatoos as well, palm cockatoo is my favorite, though sulfur-crested is a classic.

Really want some coastal bird options. Atlantic puffins are very iconic, so that would be a good choice. A gull or tern of some sort would be great too.

Gotta have birds of prey, of course. I'd love an Arctic owl, they're pretty and they'd be a great addition to Arctic themed areas. Wonder if the exhibits are big enough for eagles, I really want the harpy eagle.

The walkthrough habitats would also be useful for climbing animals that are too small to be habitat species. Tamarins, marmosets, sugar gliders, tree squirrels... My personal choices would be the golden lion tamarin, the cotton-top tamarin, and the common squirrel monkey.

I wonder if Frontier would ever be down for updating the walkthrough exhibits so that they can be mixed species. Bird exhibits are a lot cooler that way.

19. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

I don’t have a lot to say about this next pack idea, other than wanting to add on and redevelop my own take on the topic. I suppose that this dlc idea could work as either an extra option, or as an alternative to some of the pack ideas that I have already listed above:

Islands Animal Pack: - (December 2022?)
    - Atlantic Walrus, - (represents Svalbard)
    - Tasmanian Devil, - (represents Tasmania)
    - Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo, - (represents Papua New Guinea)
    - Japanese Serow, - (represents Japan)
    - North Island Brown Kiwi, - (represents New Zealand)
    - Hispaniolan Solenodon, - (represents Hispaniola)
    - Fossa, - (represents Madagascar)
    - Christmas Island Red Crab. - (exhibit; represents Christmas Island)

20. Leaf Productions

Leaf Productions Well-Known Member

I feel like this is a fine list, but I'd argue that Solenodon would be better replaced by another Lemur species like Aye Aye, and Christmas Island Red Crab with the more popular Coconut Crab. Good concepts though.