Join our zoo community

Planet Zoo Animals That Planet Zoo Needs!

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by hudson111, 19 Feb 2021.

1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Originally, I did consider on having the aye-aye in the solenodon’s place. But since I thought the Caribbean needed some in-game representation; I just thought it would be nice to have the solenodon in that place instead. As for the crab, I had mainly chosen the species just because of the name. Especially, if the dlc was ever released in December. But I suppose that the coconut crab would be an equally better alternative in the exhibit slot.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  2. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

If you wanted some Caribbean representation, why not the Cuban Crocodile? I know we already have 5 crocodilians, but we don’t have a good mid-sized crocodile, plus the Cubadile has that distinctive gallop to make it stand out.
    And while I’m down for walruses in PZ, I don’t know how I feel about them in an Islands pack. Everything in this pack of yours is endemic to their island, but can’t Atlantic walruses be found in places other than Svalbard?
    Regardless, good pack.

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which is certainly fair, but at least Aye-aye or even Sifaka is much better known and also are reasonably represented in zoos. A lot of people look at the solenodon as an ugly rat.

No, no, and no! We already have one too many with the addition of Spectacled Caiman. If anything Tomistoma, but preferably they would give us other reptiles that are sorely lacking.

Austin the Sengi likes this.
  4. Corangurilla

One too many caimans, yes. I think the Spectacaiman ruined crocodilians for a lot of people, much like the Himalayan Brown Bear did the same with bears. I want more bears AND more crocodilians, just not any more brown bears or caimans.
    Again, the only actual crocodile we have is the saltie, which is the literal largest living reptile. I think a smaller one wouldn’t hurt.

5. Great Argus

I have nothing against Spectacled or Sloth Bears arriving - they're common in zoos and are fairly different in appearance from what we already have. I have both added as mods for that matter.
    Crocodilians I wouldn't be as annoyed with if Spectacled had been something a bit more distinctive like Tomistoma, Slender-snouted Crocodile, Dwarf Crocodile, or Chinese Alligator. Especially as the latter four are endangered species - Spectacled Caiman is LC and considered stable, even successfully introduced in a few areas. Just did not cut it as a worthwhile roster addition.

6. Corangurilla

So, are you against more crocodilians in the future or not? I’m a little confused.
    By the way, Cuban Crocodile is critically endangered, so that’s another point in its favor.

7. Great Argus

I would prefer not, but if it was one of the four I named I wouldn't be too upset about it. I'd rather see another large tortoise or monitor come instead, or perhaps a large freshwater turtle species.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  8. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While I do think Cuban crocodiles would be a cool addition, I must agree that I would prefer a more distinct-looking croc, the slender-snouted especially as an african representative. I feel that, while the colouration could be quite different, cuban and saltwater crocodiles look quite similar, physically speaking, having a broader snout for crocodiles. And even still, I think large aquatic turtles should be prioritized, as we don't have any yet. I'd do anything for the inclusion of the alligator snapping turtle!

9. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Considering the recent rumours of a biome animal pack for Planet Zoo (as in, one new animal per biome), I thought I'd chip in with some suggestions:
    Desert: Collared peccary
    Tropical: rainbow lorikeet (exhibit)
    Grassland: Serval
    Temperate: nine-banded armadillo
    Taiga: mishmi takin
    Tundra: musk ox
    Aquatic: alligator snapping turtle

These are just the ones I would like to see, but I'd like to see what y'all think should be added in such a pack.

Corangurilla likes this.
  10. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Right now I have all the living species I want except for the Lesser Adjutant to go with the Marabou & Greater Adjutant storks. I hope that Monsoon makes it because the Greater Adjutant mod is absolutely phenomenal. My only request is that it would have full breeding colors of a yellow neck and reddish/purple face like this:

[​IMG]
    Photo by @pachyderm pro

Haliaeetus likes this.
  11. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

I think Galapagos and Aldabra are good enough for large tortoises, I prefer seeing some giant snakes like Reticulated Python or Green Anaconda in the future packs.

zoomaniac likes this.
  12. Great Argus

Well I was thinking something like Leopard, Radiated, or Red-footed as far as tortoises go. I agree the large snake roster is (surprisingly) rather lacking, one of the large pythons, Green Anaconda, or King Cobra would be quite nice indeed. I do wonder if perhaps the Yellow Anaconda was chosen simply for the sake of spreading out the roster alphabetically...

Corangurilla likes this.
  13. StellarChaser

StellarChaser Well-Known Member

The exhibit species for the Asian theme are too few, King Cobra would be a great idea as it can be used for general Asian, Southeast Asian, Chinese or Indian themes.

14. Great Argus

It baffles me why we have no cobras at all so far, given the well-known status of the group and relative prominence in captivity. King Cobra especially would be an excellent choice to add.

15. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Frontier: Uses an engine called Cobra
    Also Frontier: Doesn't have cobras in Planet Zoo (as of the time I'm writing this)

16. Corangurilla

Sulcata would be my choice for the next tortoise. Decently large, a staple of zoos worldwide, and a nice throwback to ZT2 African Adventure. If we can have Nile Monitor available from day -42, then surely the sulcata isn't too big of an ask.

17. Great Argus

While I certainly like Sulcatas, I'd kind of like a more colorful species to join the roster to offset the two giants. Three species of giant dull-colored tortoises is a tad much. I still think Sulcata should have replaced one of the giants in the base roster.

Corangurilla likes this.
  18. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

I agree, maybe red-footed tortoise or something tiny like a spider or leopard tortoise.

Corangurilla likes this.
  19. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I totally agree that Planet Zoo could do with a few more Tortoises, not too many but Radiated and Sulcatta Tortoises are a must.

20. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Given that it has now been a full month since the release of the Grasslands Animal Pack. Once again, I have returned to the realm of speculation, and since then; I have made some rather notable changes to my current roster of pack ideas. With these said changes, I have also changed out the layout of the annual roadmap, and the very ideas of mine that could very well end up happening for the future of the game:

“Children’s Zoo” Animal Pack: - (Spring 2023)
    - Nigerian Dwarf Goat,
    - Domestic Donkey,
    - Southern/Ring-Tailed Coatimundi,
    - European Rabbit,
    - Common Squirrel Monkey,
    - Bar-Headed Goose,
    - Kunekune Pig,
    - Western Honey Bee. - (exhibit)?

Islands Pack: - (Summer 2023)

- Tasmanian Devil,
    - Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo,
    - Fossa,
    - Lowland Anoa,
    - Coconut Crab. - (exhibit)

Drylands Pack: - (Autumn 2023; formerly known as the Desert Pack)

- Dromedary Camel,
    - Sand Cat,
    - Collared Peccary,
    - Greater Roadrunner, - (if not, then Darwin’s Rhea)
    - Moloch/Thorny Devil. - (exhibit)

(Anniversary Selection; new):

- Spectacled/Andean Bear.

Coldlands Animal Pack: - (Winter 2023, new)

- Wolverine,
    - Pacific Walrus,
    - Southern Rockhopper Penguin,
    - Musk Ox,
    - Golden Snub-Nosed Monkey,
    - Siberian Musk Deer,
    - Alpine Marmot,
    - Alaska Wood Frog. > (exhibit)

Arboreal Animal Pack: - (bonus; formerly known as the Tropical Animal Pack)

- Aye-Aye,
    - Fossa, - (alternative placement from the Islands DLC)
    - Brazilian Porcupine,
    - Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo, - (alternative placement from the Islands DLC)
    - American Black Bear,
    - Geoffroy’s Spider Monkey,
    - Southern Tamandua,
    - Veiled Chameleon. > (exhibit)