Join our zoo community

Animals that should be more "high profile"

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by brokehalo7, 4 Dec 2007.

1. brokehalo7

brokehalo7 Member

Just a quickie, wanted to see what everyones thoughts are!

If you personally could choose an Animal that you didnt believe had a sufficient Breeding/conservation in zoos, in a certain region (ie, Sun bears in Aust/new zealand are VERY high profile, Asiatic lions in europe etc..) what would it be and why?

Personally I have two/three* species in mind:

1Geoffrys cat,

2 Amur leopard - i know!, bear with me on this one, there is a reason!

3 numbat*- although EXTRMELEY rare in wild and captivity.

just gotta nip out but ill give my "whys" upon return.

2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Kagus & Mountain tapirs, worldwide

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i too would love to see the US zoos secure some additional bloodlines of mountain tapirs from peru. they are so short of fresh blood they are breeding full sibling pairs, who's parents were full sibling pairs!!

i think they are very much trying but with so far no luck. this species is highly endangered but breeds well in captivity. i'm at the point where i fully condone carefully thought out capture from the wild to boost genetics of captive populations.

if its impossible to aquire new blood tehn US zoos should look at repatriation of the zoo population and the support of a breeding (and eventual release) centre in a home range country. that is provided that allows for better options to secure more bloodlines. not sure if there are any mountain tapirs in captivity in south america?

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

oat you make a good point in taking from 'the wild', but what about the small sanctuaries in the americas, couldn.t tapir numbers be boosted through taking individuals from sanctuaries, such has been done with jaguars, which has given increasinly vauable genetics to captive programs.

5. patrick

not sure i get what you mean Zoo_Boy? you saying rather than take mountain tapir from the wild, US zoos could source captive animals from south america?

i'm not actually sure if there are any or many, but i'm pretty sure futile efforts have been made to awquire more MT by the LA zoo.

i found some great info about them on a site someplace a while back but the info is a bit hazy in my head. in any case its not looking good and it appeared peru wasn't playing ball with the zoos.

6. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

There are hardly any Captive mountain tapirs in South America. Cali zoo is trying to help them, but there are other more important things to Save i.e blue billed curassow

7. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@Writhehornbill: I think one should be cautious before deciding which species is "more important" to be saved...

8. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Sun : You're right about kagus but before starting breeding them again, there should be more of them coming from New Caledonia because those belonging to the "french breeder" (I like better calling him : "The french megalomaniac who takes what he thinks is conservation as an excuse to have fun with rare animals") are really suffering from imbreeding, and soon or later, it will also happen with those in Walsrode.

Else, as I'm a huge bird of paradise addict, I'd really like some breeding programs to be developped in zoos around the world, especially about the rare blue bird of paradise!
    I can also add mentawai macaques (the rarest macaque specie) and javan gibbon. Other langur species can be great too!

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have either the Mentawi Island macaque or the Pig tailed Langur ever been exhibited anywhere outside S.E. Asia? (or within s.E. Asia for that matter)

10. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I'm also a BoP addict. Blue, lawe's parotia, Wahne's parotia and black sicklebill spring to mind.

11. patrick

the javan gibbon breeding program is an international one with howletts at the helm. the export of gibbons from the indonesian captive program is proving difficult so effectively the indonesian and "outside indonesia" captive populations are two distinct ones. howletts are trying to import new-blooded indonesian animals but are reluctant to give up any of their gibbons until this is secured. thus, zoos like perth have had to stop breeding their pair as they are fiding it difficult to secure mates for any of the offspring born.

as gorgeous as they are i actually think australasian zoos might as well give up on moloch (or silvery as tehy are called here) gibbons, and keep the spaces for siamang and white-cheeked gibbon instead. if we can't secure mates then the two pairs in australia which are related) may as well be sent to europe the US or even indonesia.

12. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I've seen only one Mentawai macaque so far... a very old female in Ragunan zoo (Jakarta). She's the last survivor of a breeding group previously held in Bukittinggi zoo (Sumatra). It is quite possible that she's also the last survivor of her specie in captivity.
    Here she is :

[​IMG]

Concerning the silvery gibbons, it's mostly a problem with the indonesian government who regularly refuses (and wants money) to send silvery gibbons out of the country (knowing that almost no indonesian zoological institution have regular breeding success for this critically endangered specie!).
    To me that's a shame...

13. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

numbats should be more high-profile zoo exhibits in australia-theyre gorgeous

14. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

I'd like to see bonobos represented more in the US, utilising some of the captive genes from those in cognitive labs such as The Great Ape Trust.

15. patrick

glyn numbats i'm fraid to admit i have never seen. :(

apparently they are not only interesting looking and colourful, they are diurnal, a very big plus when it comes to judging a native australian animals display potential!!

16. patrick

oh and pedro, the macaque looks gorgeous!

17. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I have seen Numbats in the wild pat... zing!

18. patrick

hmmm....elephants, indian rhino, amazon and ganges dolphins and in two weeks, orangutans..............zzzzzzzZZZZING!!!! ;)

19. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

lol you win

20. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Sorry to go OT, can't reply in pm Ben, my reply or new pm to you gets an error message.