Join our zoo community

Animals that you are genuinely interested in.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Luke da Zoo nerd, 10 Jul 2020.

1. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

Has there ever been Animals that you just are very enthralling to you? Have you ever pondered about animals that need a lot more acknowledgement, or are there animals just so unorthodox that you have the need to consider these anomalous discoveries by Humanity?. On this thread, you have the opportunity to converse amidst other animal enthusiasts and have substantially informational chats with other zoochat members. I am enlivened to see what we can all acquire knowledge from these concealed jewels in the animal kingdom.

Happy chatting,

Luke.

2. Luke da Zoo nerd

Just to kick off this thread, I would like to share one of the most underrated animals in my opinion.
    Its not like this species is new to me, in fact, I made my own facts notebook all about this animal. This is the immortal jellyfish, A true wonder in the animal kingdom. I have always found gelatinous animals to be so interesting, and also some of the most wondrous and beautiful of all invertebrates. I know so many people who think immortality in living beings is almost impossible or unheard of. Then I tell the person, yeah there is an biologically immortal jellyfish and they fail to believe me:D. Then of course, I show them google images and Wikipedia pages and whatnot. Anyway, if any of you chatters have not heard of this animal, I would highly recommend some research. The way this animal achieves its immortality is quite intriguing. When ever it feels like it, it can revert its age completely back to sexually immature, after reaching sexually maturity as an individual. Much a colonial stage. This jellyfish is not the only biologically immortal of the jellyfish, in fact there are some Aurelia species who can do this as well. But the Immortal jellyfish is the most ¨famous¨, even though it is not well known in general. These jellyfish do live in temperate climates, and are very well carnivorous and have been known to consume other jellyfish. Basically, the jellyfish can escape physical assault, and old age by reverting to its polyp form. It is known to form its own polyp colony as well. Lineage reprogramming can change the state of its biological cells, and transform into brand new cells as well. This animal can still die, but it does not need to. It has a choice, and a lot of them prefer to age into the medusa stage. More research about this gem of the sea can even help us be able achieve immortality, however, I do not believe that is needed. Because individuals should have to die eventually in my book. Unfortunately, this species is invasive. and needs to be targeted back to its original range. In terms of this species in captivity, is very struggling. I believe only one scientist has managed to do this, (If anyone knows who that would be a great help to this thread), Still, these cannot stay in captivity for very long anyway.

But more information is to be discussed with other chatters, as is that is the point of this thread. What do you think? Did any of this information surprised you? Or is this all right up your ally of animal information? If you know any more facts and tidbits about this animal that would be great! This thread is a perfect opportunity to discuss any of these factual references.

3. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Parrots, they are cute, beautifull, smart, social and entertaining. This combination makes them factual the best animals.

AlmightyKingPrawn likes this.
  4. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

I admittedly am really interested in zebras, since they have stripes for no known reasons, and that everyone is unique. Also, people always ask “are they white with black stripes or black with white stripes” and that what makes them interesting to me and I don’t think people really think about this when they think of zebras (other then the color stripe thing).

5. Luke da Zoo nerd

Scientists believe that the zebra uses its stripes to confuse predators. Not has been factually proven though. And I believe that they are black with white stripes. The thing that I find very interesting about zebras is all the different varieties. I absolutely LOVE Mountain Zebras. Also the quagga (Sadly extinct) I believe was such an interesting animal and I wonder what scientists could have learned about it now with updated technology if it was still alive. Selous' zebra I am absolutely obsessed with though. I love unheard of and interesting animals, (Hence the topic of this thread). Lots of animals actually have different color patterns as well though. Such as tigers.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2020
  6. Luke da Zoo nerd

I wouldn't consider parrots being factually the best animals. That is just your opinion. However, parrots I do love, and are probably the most interesting birds to me. (Ah what the hell I like all birds:)!). Parrots are really intriguing though. The different arrays of interesting color patterns are well delivered in parrots color scheme. The ability do mimic human speech is also amazing, however I do prefer seeing parrots not as pets. (In my opinion).

7. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

Exactly. There's lots of theories, but none are proven! Also, guess what variety I prefer.:p

8. Luke da Zoo nerd

Grevy's perhaps? :p.

9. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Since you're especially interested in the stripe patterns of zebras, I suggest you read the book Zebra Stripes (Tim Caro; Chicago University Press; 2016).

amur leopard likes this.
  10. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

A lot of deep sea animals fascinate me. The flapjack octopus is one of my favourites, it's very different from other octopus species.

11. Luke da Zoo nerd

All the way. Deep sea animals are what inspired me to make this thread. They are very little known, and people discover new ones every day. The deep sea is so unexplored that I cant even imagine what the full species list could be. One of my favorites is my profile picture, Stygiomedusa gigantica. I feel like the deep sea is so unknown to the naked eye. Flapjack octopuses are cool, not to mention outrageously adorable, but have you ever heard of the Telescope octopus? They are definition of a strange octopus. Fully transparent, and eyes that function like a chameleon? You should defiantly check out those guys if you have not already.

12. DaLilFishie

No i haven't heard of the telescope octopus, but I did just look it up. They're pretty weird. It's a shame that deep-sea species are extremely difficult to obtain and care for, it would be amazing if more aquariums could keep them. At least, when aquariums do have them, it's a real treat. Many species have only been kept by one aquarium only once, like the vampire squid at Monterey Bay Aquarium and the blobfish at the Fukushima Aquarium. Not to mention the failed attempts, like the goblin shark and frilled shark. And there is so much we just don't know! New species get discovered all the time in ecosystems we know lots about and see all the time, so there are definately so many things no-one has ever seen in the deep dark depths.

13. Luke da Zoo nerd

Actually the most surprising thing you said in this post to me was Blobfish in Fukushima. I never knew blobfish were in captivity. Or at least, in public. But right now I think the biggest Mystery of the sea, (Not necessarily the deep sea) Is the mystery of the lost turtles. Its quite famous. I cannot recall when, but I believe sometime in the 21st century (Or late 20th correct me if I am wrong) Divers started to explore a cave crevice in a coral reef. What they found, was so strange when I watched a documentary on this I thoroughly did not believe this. A whole lot of sea turtle skeletons were discovered. No one knows how they got there, or how they even managed to not get out. I mean, sea turtles are remarkably smart for how they can just navigate the ocean so well. It was not just full grown turtle skeletons that were found there but also turtle eggs that looked like they were hatched out of. But sea turtles lay eggs on land not in the sea. This whole story is so surprising to me that I am always staying tuned for an answer that scientists must have.

14. DaLilFishie

Huh, that's very strange. Never heard about that. It will be interesting to see if the mystery of the lost turtles ever gets solved. With the blobfish, it was kept at the Fukushima Aquarium (I don't know if they still have it) and named Bob. Apparently a problem they had with him was his shyness. He would often hide behind a large rock in his tank, and didn't come out often.

Luke da Zoo nerd likes this.
  15. qthemusic

qthemusic Well-Known Member

Cephalopods in general fascinate me. Followed closely by Crocodylia. Both incredibly sneaky and intelligent.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2020
  16. Luke da Zoo nerd

Can you elaborate more on that?

17. Davdhole

Davdhole Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any large, major predators. Big cats, canids, bears, sharks, birds of prey, crocodilians, and hyenas are some of my favorites. Out of this bunch, I'd say hyenas interest me the most. Their appearance and behavior are so dog-like, but they're more related to cats (even my biology teacher in 9th grade said they were dogs after a classmate declared to me, in a quite serious manner, that hyenas are dogs after I said they aren't. He asked if they could breed with domestic dogs, and me being an animal guy, chimed in with the hyena fact, but that's a different story.)

Also, hyenas (at least spotted, my favorite) are very misunderstood due to folklore and of course, Disney. Their societal structure is also something to marvel at, with the lowest ranking females being higher than the highest male. I just also love their adorable and somewhat terrifying appearance, noises, power, and multitude of facts you can educate people on.

Azubaa likes this.
  18. Luke da Zoo nerd

Well said. You know, I have to say my favorite hyena species is the striped. And actually in the Lion King that was not a remake the hyenas actually resemble the striped species a little more. Disney changed that in the CGI animated remake, but back to the point. Striped hyenas are not cool only because they look absolutely stunning, but also they live in a fairly large range. Spreading from the shores of Africa to even India. But I would have to agree the Carnivorous animals are very interesting, and cats are probably my favorite of them all. The hyena lifestyle really grasps the animal nerd within me, and I absolutely adore the pups. Their so cute!

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There is no mystery about this. It is a labyrinthine underwater cave at Sipadan island in Malaysia, originally discovered by Jacques Cousteau in the 1980s, which the turtles enter and then cannot find their way out of and drown. There is also a dolphin skeleton in one chamber. The comment on "turtle eggs that looked like they were hatched out of" appears to be a fabrication.

TinoPup likes this.
  20. Luke da Zoo nerd

That doesn't explain everything though. Sea turtles are probably one of the best navigators in the sea, and can remember right where they were born to lay eggs again. So why would an amazing navigator of the sea get lost in just a simple coral reef crevice. I do not believe the mystery is quite over yet.