Join our zoo community

animals we havent bred yet

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 28 Feb 2007.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

the recent Australia-first Dhole breeding at Taronga got me thinking...what are some species that our AUSTRALIAN ZOOS have not bred yet but are in collections or planned or both?
    asian elephant
    indian rhino
    binturong
    clouded leopard?
    sun bear

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

melbourne zoo have bred quite a few binturongs - they had five at last count!

i also believe that dhole have been bred at taronga before this latest pair were imported. they kept a small group of dhole for many years - the last i saw them must have been circa 1999

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sun Bears

One of the zoos in NZ bred Sun Bears a few years back, that's where Arataki at Canberra came from I believe. From what I remember 11 (or some big amount of cubs) were born but only 1 or 2 didn't get killed by th mother... a major problem with breeding this species, they tenmd to have alot of cubs but few actually survive, especially in zoos

4. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

dhole @ taronga

i remember taronga's old pair of dhole well, they were named Ken and Barbie, but as far a si know, never bred. thats fantastic to hear Melbourne Zoo has had success with binturongs, i just figured they must have impoted them...