Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Animals we would like to see at whipsnade

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ajmcwhipsnade, 3 Oct 2009.

1. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I guess a thread like this has already been done ages ago so sorry about this.

JUst was wondering what we would like to see at whipsnade, obviously keep it realistic (for example as cool as it would be to see gorillas at whipsnade that aint gonna happen!). For me i would love to see maned wolf's in the old cheetah enclosure, kafue flats lechwe in the paddock behind the cheetahs, and the old musk ox paddock for Babirusa (it could be redone)

What do you think?

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would love to see polar bears back at Whipsnade, realistically, they are amongst only a handful of zoos in the UK, that would have the space and ability to build a worthy enclosure for bears, as is proven with their European brown bears, something similar would be fine for polars.
    I would also like to see a few more unusual or rarely seen African antelope in larger herds making more use of those enormous paddocks, species such as impala, bontebok, any species of wildebeest, sable antelope, any other hartebeest species and bring back the Thompsons gazelle.
    Talking of bringing back species bring back the musk oxen, Cape buffalo and black rhino

3. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Leopards at Whipsnade in a large enclosure with a Kopje in the middle with plenty of mature trees, Aswell as a large netted enclosure for them to be seperated.Other Species:
    Maned Wolves,
    Gelada - would be great to see them on the downs with the view of the surrounding area just like the moutains where they live ;)
    Bonobo's would be a great attraction in a complex next to the Chimps.
    Will think of more species soon :)

4. ajmcwhipsnade

one idea i had was to join the giraffe enclosure with the rhino's to make a massive african plain enclosure.

Gelada's would be very very good on the downs!

5. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

I like the idea of merging giraffes and rhinos, and perhaps you could then add a few more antelope species, zebras and ostriches. Then you could make that the second drive-through, 'Passage through Africa', as I've heard one of the problems with that paddock is the animals can be hard to see if they stay in the centre.
    With the geladas, you could then mix them with barbary sheep and/or nubian ibex to create an even more impressive exhibit on the windy downs. :)

6. ajmcwhipsnade

i dont think you would need a new drive thru, just create a lookout tower, build a watering hole and it could be like a kingdom of the wild type thing! Rhino, Giraffe, Ostrich, Roan, Waterbuck....brilliant!

They could always move the bison and put geladas there? that would be pretty cool (although i love seeing the bison as i drive past them).

Its a shame they got rid of the old cat enclosures they could have used them for primates, i think they used to house anoa and vultures at one point.

Tapirs would also be awsome, perhaps near the sloth bears?

7. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Apparentley Whipsnade will be getting Brazillian Tapirs soon. :)

8. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

wow, good news!:D

what would i like to see at whipsnade, i could go on for ever, i might post mine later:D

9. ajmcwhipsnade

Maybe if they ever were to mix the giraffes with the rhinos, maybe okapi could go in the giraffe paddock?

10. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure Whipsnade will never mix the White Rhino's and Giraffes, The White Rhino enclosure is great as it is giving them plenty of space.The Giraffes have their purpose built enclosure which is great for them so theres really no reason why they should mix them.
    The View over the Rhino Paddock seeing them grazing on the plains is great.Just because they arent close doesnt mean anything you still get a superb view.

11. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

AFRICAN SECTION:

I Would like to see A Massive Themed African Paddock Like what the White Rhinos Share with the Roan Antelope Now, But I Was thinking it could have White Rhinos, Giraffe, Zebras and Gemsbok and Ostrich, and The Antelope Buildings could be Demolished to make Way For Hunting Dogs and Next to the Building could have a Hyena Enclosure.

Whipsnade could also Bring in African Elephants and that could be where the Toilets are on the Downs that Extends Up to The Hippo house And Cheetah Rock, The Hippos could have a New Enclosure that would be Bigger than the House they have Got Now and The Cheetahs could have New Enclosure Next to The Hunting Dogs and The Hyenas, The Lions would also Have a New House and Enclosure along with Leopards.

Also There could be A Larger Paddock for Antelope Species Like Kudu, Gazelle, Blackbuck, Waterbuck, Bongo and More (With Red River Hogs, African Monkeys, Meerkats and Porcupines Nearby)

WOOD SECTION:

The Wood Section that i would like would be the Same as what the Zoo Has Now with The Brown Bears, Moose, Bison ECT, But i would Move the Chimps to the African Section of the Park and Add a New Species in its Place Like Fallow Deer or Red Deer and A New Enclosure for the Wolves

ASIA SECTION:

The Asia Section would Include Asian Elephants, Asian Rhinos, Gaur, Asian Deer, Tigers, Onagers and Prezwalski Horse, The New Enclosures that i would have Would be Tapirs with Maras, Flamingos with Pelicans In a new Water Hide and Lake, Takin with Markhor on a Themed Mountain and Red Pandas in a New Enclosure with Giant Pandas in another Enclosure and House

I would Also get Rid of the Passage thru Asia and Move Deers to A New Enclosure.

DESERT SECTION:

The Desert Section would Have A Aviary with Desert themed Birds and and Next to the Aviary would be A Massive Paddock with Camels, Oryx, Addax and Desert Livestock

There would also be a Reptile Section with Tortoises, Lizards and Snakes

AUSTRALIAN SECTION:

The Australian Section would have Kangaroos, Koalas, Tasmanian Devils, Wombats and Other Mammals and Birds in a Themed Borough Area.

POLAR SECTION:

I would have in the Polar Section and it would be a Themed Mountain area with Owls and Arctic Fox at the bottom, Musk ox, Yak and Arctic Deer in the Middle and Polar Bears, Seals and Snow Leopards at the Top

SEA SECTION:

The Sea Section would have Sea Lions in a Themed Boat and Otters, Giant Otters and Fish in a Pool and An Aquarium with Sharks.

RAINFOREST SECTION:

The Rain forest Section would be Themed as A Rain forest and it would have Gorillas, Orangutans, Crocodiles, Monkeys, Sloths, Jaguars and Spiders and then it would be a Under ground Village with Jumping Rats, Bats, Naked Mole Rats and More Underground Animals.

OTHER SECTIONS:

The Other Sections that the Animals would be Are Giant Anteater in a Garden Themed Enclosure and House and the Giant Anteater would live with Capybaras and Maras, A Reptile House and A Garden With Deers and a Walk wood with Lynxes, Small Cats, Bush Dogs and Other Mammals

12. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

where would all this be?

13. Max Blundell

All Around the Acres of Whipsnade Zoo

14. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I would like to see Jaguars and Orangutans at whipsnade.

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I would like to see correct use of capitalisation :p

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For starters, let's have the return of Polar Bears, Musk Ox, Wolves, Jaguar or/and Snow Leopard, a few small cats, Hyaena of any species, African Hunting Dog. black Rhino

An Australian house with Tree Kangaroo, Koala, echidna, wombat...

All that may cost less than land of the lions & the Snowdon renovation!

17. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above.
    To add a few of my own to this fantasy Whipsnade wishlist :

Hartebeeste (any flavour!)
    Pronghorn
    Bontebok
    Malayan Tapir

18. Max Blundell

What new species do you think Whipsnade will Introduce after they have opened the new Elephant Conservation Centre in 2016/ 2017?