Join our zoo community

Animals we would like to see imported to Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 29 Apr 2006.

1. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You really know how to work us Aussies up :)

To be honest, right now I'd like to see more South American species. We have a good range of species to make basic Asian and African exhibits but SA is limited to a few monkeys and macaws pretty much. Melbourne Zoo has been making a bit of an effort recently with the imports of coatis (I especially like that we have another small carnivore) and mara as well as bringing in a Brazilian tapir. I'd especially like one more big cat species (jaguar or cougar), maybe a few more small mammals (jaguarundi, giant otter, etc), and some more tapirs to bump up the small number already here.

Also another bear species for Australians zoos to keep. Ignoring the polar bears and pandas kept at one collection each, the only other representative is sun bears. They fit the bill for being a threatened species, fitting into the south-east Asian theme of most collections, and being endearing but they're just not very impressive. Maybe American black bears so that North America could be a viable themed area with bison and alligators.

2. pete_76

pete_76 New Member

Personally I'd like to see Taronga pick up there game. Aligning their collections with the rest of Australias institutes.

They have space but seem to worry too much about aesthetic values of playgrounds, cafes and walkways. Their collection has dwindled over the past few years and the curators need to really take a step back and remember why guests are paying $44 each.

They have made progress with some species over the last few years notable species being;
    - Francois Langur (Importation + Breeding)
    - Sumatran Tiger (Breeding)
    - Eastern Bongo (Importation + Breeding)
    - Asian Elephant (Breeding)
    - Western Lowland Gorilla (Importation)
    - Fennec Fox (Importation + Breeding)

However wouldn't it be more feasible to stabilize and improve species genetics of what is currently held within the ever so limited and restricted regional tags.
    - Mandrill (TZ/TWPZ)
    - Eastern Black & White Colobus (TZ/TWPZ)
    - Golden Lion Tamarins (TZ)
    - Spotted Hyena (TWPZ)
    - Serval (TZ/TWPZ)
    - Coati (TZ/TWPZ)

All six species TCSA could easily accommodate and with their expertise, pursue and establish successful breeding programs to compliment current holdings across the country.

TWPZ I think would do well with new carnivore and primate species. With so much space something new could really benefit them, they always seem to be left out.

3. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would like to see more co operation in joint captive breeding programs with South East Asia. Given the proximity, it's an ideal situation to send a strong conservation message whilst giving Australian zoo visitors an opportunity to see a number of species we wouldn't normally get the opportunity to see. The highly commendable relationship between our local Peel zoo and Bali zoo is an example of how we could take the lead in raising the standards of South East Asian zoos to our mutual benefit.

4. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think the current priorities are to increase the genetic diversity of antelope, giraffe and hippos (both species), several of which are only just hanging on in the region.

After that, I think building populations of already present endangered species is paramount, and the focus should be on South East Asian species for a number of reasons. Imports and breeding of sun bear, binturong, fishing cat, gibbons, langurs and possibly some new species would be great. Growing the holdings of other regionally rare species, such as maned wolf, spotted hyena, Indian & Black rhino and Malayan / Brazilian tapirs would also be awesome.

Bringing in altogether new species (e.g. black bear, which aren't much more impressive than sun bears) should be avoided, as the resources they require disadvantage pre-existing species, which need to have sustainable populations first.

Once issues with exisitng species have been remedied, then new species could be considered. Priorities should still be endangered and/or South East Asian species, but I would also love to see some unrepresented taxa added to the regional collection, e.g. aardvark and giant anteater.

In terms of other species already mentioned, I don't think additional big cat species are going to be viable, but if one was chosen I would hope it would be one of the Asian leopard subspecies, not jaguars or cougars. An endangered South American small cat might be an option, but I would prefer fishing cats established first, then servals.

5. Jet

Jet Well-Known Member

Agree completely with zooboy28 and Goura...priority has to be threatened species and apart from the increasingly very important contribution that zoos are making to Australian species conservation, south-east asian species are at the greatest risk of extinction on our doorstep right now.

Personally (and it's only my opinion) I don't support bears in city zoos unless they are "retirees" or it is contributing significantly to their conservation (which could be argued for sun bears, even if its mostly through awareness raising at the moment)

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps also looking at successfully managed species in Europe and Nth America (ie. aligning more with EEP and SSP) would also be of benefit given the difficulties of importing new blood. The success of coatis shows how this could work. Species such as aardvark, giant anteater, fossa, Amur leopard, red titi, black and gold howler monkey, capybara, various lemurs, giant otter etc would all have to be possibilities.

More support for the species that in the region: maned wolves, francois and spectacled langurs, Indian rhinos, onager, both tapirs, peccary, guanaco, rhea, De Brazza monkey etc.

Agree that the strain on hoofstock populations needs to be sorted out asap.

7. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Couldn't agree more - although I feel more strongly about polar bears in this respect than any other species.

8. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

Beaver.

Cheers Khakibob

9. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well if we could import anything my list would include: bush dog, raccoon dog, dhole, Ethiopian wolf, grey wolf, Tibetan fox, bat eared fox, coyote, American black bear, raccoon, crab eating raccoon, black footed ferret, wolverine, honey badger, giant otter, civet, fossa, striped hyena, sand cat, fishing cat, ocelot, cougar, clouded leopard, streaked tenrec, elephant shrew, bushbaby, aye aye, bald uakari, douroucouli, mandrill, olive baboon, gelada, three toed sloth, giant anteater, pangolin, jackrabbit, red squirrel, side striped ground squirrel, springhare, giant African mole rat, plains vicacha, naked mole rat, African elephant, rock hyrax, aardvark, grevy’s zebra, warthog, bush pig, white tailed deer, moose, pronghorn, okapi, gemsbok, wildebeest, impala, springbok, chamois, kiwi, brown pelican, European stork, scarlet ibis, flamingo, white backed vulture, bald eagle, harpy eagle, secretary bird, tragopan, kagu, puffin, Victoria crowned pigeon, kea, roadrunner, great horned owl, hummingbird, hoopoe, hornbill, toucan, bird of paradise, blue jay, tuatara, reticulated python, boomslang, black mamba, adder, marine iguana, African fire skink, tegu, spectacled caiman and gharial.

10. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

not to be rude or anything to aussies, but how bout Australia shipping animals out?

11. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They do that, I mean look at all the Kangaroos and Emus in zoos worldwide. Even rarer animals such as Wombats, Echidnas and Koalas are still in a few zoos. There are also a decent amount of ecotherms (Reptiles, Fishes, Inverts) from Australia in other parts of the world ( just look at the Baltimore Aquariums Australia exhibit).

12. ZooBinh

Well, there are many animals they don’t allow exportation to other countries, and I think that they should allow those species to be shipped internationally

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  13. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which ones (serious question my mind is drawing a blank) other than Platypus? This is the only major animal that I think would be a hit with mainstream zoo-goers.

What the Australian government does with Australian animals is up to them, and I doubt that they don’t have very good reasons as too why they’re stingy with exportation. Would be nice to have some of these animals in North America however:).

14. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@MattyP Taronga keeps tuataras.

I agree. Platypus, Greater Bilby and maybe Numbat, but that will probably be it. The other big stars (kangaroos, koals, wombats, devils, echidnas, emus) are already in US and European zoos.

TZDugong likes this.
  15. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Xenarthrans, suids, hippos, giraffids, deer and birds are the main remaining class/orders/families of common zoo animals that need the doors to open up in Australia.

Of those, deer would be easily the lowest priority, with already many thriving species here. Hippos are probably the highest with two species already here but an imminent need for fresh blood.

16. ZooBinh

Don’t they also have a ban on some reptiles

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The commercial export of most Australian animals is not allowed. Export to zoos is allowed and frequently happens, there are just general stipulations which (usually) include that the animals must be from captive-bred populations.

MattyP, jayjds2 and MRJ like this.
  18. ZooBinh

Oh... well I feel weird now

19. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks. I didn’t know that.

20. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If the ZAA had put as much effort into importing new bloodlines for Bongo as thy did to import Nyala they would be in a much better shape than they are right now I watch with interest now that Taronga zoo wants to import Okapi how fast they get the green light for importation for them.Also IF they do get them what they will do with them once they obtain them. It appears mountains can be moved for Taronga but much less so for other zoos in the region!