Join our zoo community

Animals we would like to see imported to Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 29 Apr 2006.

1. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the ZAA doesn't technically import anything. Its just an Association that represents the zoo industry's interests. The ZAA might have put in the application for an IRA to be developed for zoo bovids on behalf of a number of their members - but what individual zoo imports what is entirely up to them. In this case Taronga imported a Bongo and Zoos Vic imported Nyala.

I suppose the assumption is that now there is an IRA, the doors are open and thus no rush to import dozens of animals at one time. But I imagine they got caught out on this same assumption almost 25 years ago, so point taken!

Aw, I don't think thats really true. Just because Taronga put in an application it doesn't mean they will get approved. What is it that makes you feel Taronga gets special treatment?

MRJ likes this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In real terms the two major zoos are the ZAA they are the big boys in the region, importing one Bongo at the end of the day is not going to turn the tide to much in the region it needs a major import even if that means bringing them in via NZ like the Nyala, there are quite a few in the USA which could be obtained