Join our zoo community

Animals you don't like?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by sealion, 16 Sep 2010.

1. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Which animals are your least favourite?
    Do you have any that you are really afraid of/cannot stand?

Obviously in theory we should love them all, but everyone has their pet hates. Pun included. :D

Personally I have the common spider one. I'm fine as long as they are kept in a tightly sealed tank, although you may find me moving swiftly past the tarantula exhibits!

Thought I disliked cockroaches until I held one the other day....:cool:

I'm also not a wild fan of apes and/or monkeys, although some of the smaller varieties, (spiders, tamarins etc) are alright. I have little or no interest in chimps, orangs and gorillas. Not really sure why though- I'm sure you'll all disagree! :p

2. Deviant*Strain

Deviant*Strain Well-Known Member

Pretty much anything in the Mustelid family that aren't Otters or Badgers... seriously phobic of them.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some catfishes are just too ugly: I will nominate the electric catfish (Malapterurus) as one of the ugliest, but I don't really want to think about alternatives which might be even uglier.

Alan

Last edited: 16 Sep 2010
  4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I think chimpanzees are quite scary, I can watch gorillas for hours but always rush past chimps.

5. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one! I can spend about 5 seconds vieiwng great apes. The only primates that intrest me are gibbons, prosimians (not lemurs) and baboons.

I don't like wasps or ticks (for obvious reasons), big cats, (excluding jaguars), and bears (excluding sloth, and spectacled).

6. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can find something to like and be interested in in nearly any animal except cockroaches ( and there's probably a cockroach somewhere that could fascinate me.)

7. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I live on a farm so naturally we have a wood fireplace. I like the fireplace it's just the having to go get wood that I don't like because of all of the multi-legged things that live in it. In broad daylight it's not as bad but when you go out in the dark and one of those bright orange centipedes crawls out onto your hand it's enough to make anyone hate them. Same with huntsmens, cockraoches and earwigs.

8. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have probably one of the most mix-and-match group of animal phobias. Wasps are a very mixed group. Sharks are stunning animals but of course I would never be particularly fond of meeting one whilst swimming. All solitary wasps are fine; I can watch them for hours. But the black-and-yellow lemonade-drinking jobbies that seem to exist just to scare the willies out of me, are not fine in the slightest. Horses and big dogs I find are the worst. I really never feel comfortable around horses particularly. And then people think I'm strange when I am perfectly happy around spiders, scorpions and centipedes when I almost run for the hills every time I cross paths with a horse.

9. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

No, I think I like them all...though in terms of the enclosures that get the least attention- it's probably the fish/aquatic inverts. I like them of course- but they're lower priority on the list of must-sees when zoo-visiting. There are no animals I dislike though (how very diplomatic of me?!)

I wonder how long it'll be before someone complains about not liking meerkats (a la the "Boring Animals" thread)?

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't dislike any animals.

In terms of what I find least interesting - great apes, particularly chimps and gorillas. Just don't see the particular appeal, really.

Was an unusual day for me at Heidelberg to be sat watching the gorilla exhibit for ages. Not for the gorillas, but the elusive White-tailed Mongoose that shared with them!

But then, I'm the guy that started this thread: http://www.zoochat.com/2/escape-abcs-94004/

So my leaning towards the obscure is a matter of public record!

11. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had no real phobias before, I don't like a few things out of cages, but behind cages it's all fine. Until I went to Berlins insect house, they had a glass tank packed with small bodied long legged spiders, like harverstmen, they were crawling over each other and all you could see was a mass of spindly legs writhing about. Chills went down my spine and I had to leave the building, terrifying!

12. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Like Maguari, I don't have any dislikes, but I have some I'm a little less interested in. For instance, at Chester I will walk past the camels, tapirs, penguins and flamingoes without too much interest. However, I must say that sometimes I will stop for a good luck. I think it is more about prioritising, if I haven't seen one of these animals for a while they'll make it onto my 'must see on next visit' list. That usually ends up being the bat cave ;p

13. safariman

safariman Well-Known Member

I don't dislike any animal.. but dislike KEEPING some animals. Highly intelligent animals such as elephants, grate apes and zoo-mammals. Allways hate to see them kept in a zoo.

14. sealion

Eww

Having fun googling some of the more obscure creatures mentioned on the thread!

I'm surprised by the amount of people not into primates, I thought I was really abnormal!

15. sealion

Excuse me if this is a stupid questions, but what do you mean by "zoo-mammals"?

16. sealion

Penguins? They are usually very popular!

17. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's not that I don't like penguins, I think it's more a case of 'you can see Humboldt's at nearly every zoo.' At Edinburgh I loved watching the penguins, just because they were a less common species (I'll assume you know, but just incase they have Gentoos, Kings and Rockhoppers). I think if Chester got a less-kept type like the ones mentioned, or even ones that aren't currently in this country, I could watch them for a lot longer.

18. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry @safariman, but I think you are in the wrong Thread for that.

To come back to the origin question:
    I do not HATE any animal, but there are a few I don't LIKE: wasps, mosiktos, tsetse-flies (after my experience, they can follow you for miles), sandflies (those tiny friendly fruitfly-looking guys, that are in fact nasty Bloodsuckers), fleas, bedbugs an all other crawling and stinging or biting invertebrats.

I also not very excitet about yelling dogs (specially when I think they are yelling for no reason).

But there are no real Zooanimals I don't like. Just some I would consider as not really beautiful like naked molerats..:)

19. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

You've reminded me of an animal I don't like - those tiny little flies that appear in summer time and beeline for the nearest glass of wine to commit suicide in. Very annoying.

EDIT: I should say your post has reminded me of them, not you in particular.

20. safariman

safariman Well-Known Member

Sorry for this mistake, I meant marine mammals.. To summarise: all intelligent social animals... eventually we should get rid of them in zoos. I don't like it, keeping them, for what that matters.. my two cents.;)