Join our zoo community

Animals you miss from your hometown zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Bisonblake, 28 Aug 2019.

1. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Milwaukee County Zoo:
    - Whole Australian area with Kangaroo, Tree Kangaroo and Emu.
    - Mountain Lion
    - Diana Monkey
    - Eland
    - Meerkat

2. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I actually forgot some that I miss from Brookfield, the Ostrich, Waterbuck, and Warthog

Bisonblake likes this.
  3. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Add to Milwaukee County Zoo Golden lion headed tamarin

4. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

I miss the Elephants, Polar Bears, Coatis, and the Indian Rhinos from the Philadelphia Zoo. Not to mention the Camel Rides.
    EDIT: The Okapi was one of my favorite animals from the zoo. Also the Capybaras

savetherhino, TinoPup and Bisonblake like this.
  5. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Toronto Zoo -

-African Elephants
    -Chinese Giant Salamander
    -Giant Panda
    -Chinese Leopard
    -Impala
    -Gemsbok
    -Vervet Monkey
    -Dhole
    -Mandril
    -Hamadrayas (sp) Baboon
    -Musk-Ox

Safari Niagara -

-African Leopard (I don't know if he's gone or the exhibit is undergoing renos but haven't seen him all year)
    -Addax
    -Scimitar Horned Orxy

African Lion Safari -

-Bengal Tiger

Bisonblake and Yi Qi like this.
  6. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Also at African Lion Safari, I miss the Sealions and Striped Hyenas, and Toronto I miss their Cape Fur Seals.

7. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Edinburgh: jaguars, wolverine, honey badger, guinea baboon, bushdog, warthog, bongo, orangutan, gorilla, maned wolf, Bactrian camel, pallas' cat, giraffes (not for long though hopefully!)

8. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I miss the caribou, wallabies, binturong, spider monkey, king vultures, and the majority of the reptile collection that is no-longer there at Seneca Park Zoo.

9. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the past decade or so, I’d guess that Detroit Zoo has shed about a dozen or so species of mammal. Some examples of species that have disappeared from their collection in the 2010s include Brazilian tapir, capybara, pudu, common hippopotamus, meerkat, lion-tailed macaque, black-and-white ruffed lemur, African wild dog, binturong, and Sichuan takin. Now, I don’t think that this is necessarily a bad thing, I believe that in many cases these species have been phased out for one ethical reason or another and it seems that much of their conservation breeding programs are for reptiles and amphibians instead. But as someone who’s a devoted mammal fan, it has been a bit disappointing seeing all these species slip out of the collection.

Bisonblake likes this.
  10. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cabarceno hasn't lost many species, it maintains itself pretty consistent on this, but there are some animals that I miss:
    -Some of the reptiles in the reptile house. Now, most of its inhabitants (except for Gila monsters and green iguanas) are snakes, and some of the non-snakes are missed. I remember seeing Cuvier's dwarf caimans (I think), alligator snappers and some kind of monitor.
    -Blue wildebeest. They used to house a pair in the main savanna, and I don't know why they didn't get more of them, but suddenly one of them disappeared and a lone animal was left in the exhibit. Now, the last one is no longer signed.
    -Sable antelope. She was the only sable in the exhibit and seeing what zootierliste says the last one in a Spanish zoo. This one has a similar case to the wildebeest, but I really liked this animal.
    -Cuvier's gazelle. After the terrain wasn't sustainable to house a breeding group of these animals, the gazelles left the park, leaving just a male, which is housed in a small pen at the entrance of the park. The species hasn't really "disappeared" from the park, but it will soon.
    -African wild dogs. Exhibited with the hyenas, these were one of my favourite animals in the park. I didn't have many opportunities to see them, but I used to love them.
    -Warthogs. I have only seen warthogs in Cabarceno once, and it was like 10 years ago. Every time I visited the park, the warthogs seemed to be absent or hiding. Then, out of nowhere, they were replaced by gemsbok. I still wonder what happened to them.

11. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Henry Vilas Zoo
    - Chimpanzees. The zoo use to have them in an enclosure that as too small, which is why they moved them, but it would be cool if they somehow expanded and brought them back.
    - Malayan Tapir. The zoo use to have a Malayan Tapir, but they moved her to a different zoo and expanded them white rhino enclosure into the old tapir enclosure. I wouldn't be picky about what kind of tapir came back, it would just have to be a tapir in general.
    - Reeve's Muntjac. No real reason why, I just really like Reeve's Muntjac. They could easily move them into one of the two large, EMPTY paddocks between the Bactrian Camels and Somali Wild Ass they have been barren for months.
    - Red-Necked Wallaby. Pretty much for the same reason as the Muntjac.

12. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

Oakland would be the closest to a hometown zoo.

I would say roan antelope (a beautiful and underrated species), addra gazelle, tule elk (unique to California), gelada (there were a couple of elderly individuals in the 1990s in a horribly outdated exhibit that was a remnant of the dark ages for Oakland Zoo, but they are still a species I enjoyed), and various Australian parrot species. While Oakland has understandingly never had the largest hoofstock collection, the ungulate collection has gone down from what it once was. I'd like to see at least a few additions.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  13. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here are some species that the Toledo Zoo had during my childhood but no longer do and I miss in their collection:
    General: I think it’s a shame how distorted the African theme of Tembo Trail has become in recent years, with the zoo phasing out many African species in favor of non-African ones (replacing the lions with grizzly bears, the slender-snounted crocodiles with Tasmanian devils, the white rhino with an Indian one, the spotted necked otters with a North American one, the dromedary camels with yaks, reindeer, and Bactrian camels etc). Many of these new animals are cool in their own right but still.
    Others:
    • Sloth bear- their habitat in Tiger Terrace is now home to an elderly spectacled bear which is just as cool but I still miss having sloth bears which are a pretty unique ursid at the park.
    • African wild dog- used to live in Africa! where the cheetah brothers are currently housed. Too bad Toledo no longer keeps these beautiful predators especially since I remember usually taking them for granted as a kid.
    • Chimpanzee- shame that they no longer have species from all three non-human great ape genera.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2019
    Yi Qi, Anniella and savetherhino like this.
  14. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Damn, what happened to the London Zoo?

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One could write a book answering that question methinks :p

~Thylo

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  16. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The London zoo is dead. It's just the London z.

17. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Wait I didn't know Oakland had half of these species. What other species did Oakland have in the past? I've heard that the zoo had dolphins at one point but I'm not so sure how true that is.

Anniella and Hipporex like this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Now, that's a Pandora's Box and a half :p

19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Edmonton Valley Zoo:

African Elephant
    Fat Tailed Dwarf Lemur
    Green Aracari
    Red Fronted Lemur
    Patagonian Sea Lion

Marine Life at West Edmonton Mall:

Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin
    Spectacled Caiman
    Lemon Shark
    Southern Stingray

20. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One thing I miss from my local aquarium is the loss of the walruses, you can probably deduce which aquarium that is :(