Join our zoo community

Animals you miss from your hometown zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Bisonblake, 28 Aug 2019.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The kingfisher is the only non-drab species I have seen. Just because they have streaks of colour, that doesn't make them colourful because they aren't full of colour. :p
    I guess it all makes sense anyway because they are trying to camouflage in with the drab English countryside... :p

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most animals must look drab to you then ;):p:rolleyes:

~Thylo

3. Elephantlover

Elephantlover Member

I miss red shanked douc langur and secretary bird from the Philadelphia zoo

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who doesn't miss the langur?

Elephantlover likes this.
  5. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Phialdelphia's last Red-Shanked Douc passed away?

6. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, she did.

7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

September 2018.

8. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I miss the Lesser Flamingos and Saddle-Billed Storks that used to live in the Rift Valley Aviary (now called River Valley Aviary) at the Jacksonville Zoo. Saddle-Billed Storks also used to live in the Wattled Crane exhibit. The breeding pair in the aviary were gone as of before February 2011 and the last time I saw the pair in that used to live in now Wattled Crane exhibit was January 2013 and at that time they were living with the giraffes. I also miss the African Buffalo that used to live in the exhibit where the Okapis do now.

9. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I miss the Asian elephants at Buffalo Zoo. I know there's no way for them to come back, but I'm always happy to see elephants.
    I miss the melanistic leopard at the Bronx Zoo. It wasn't in a great exhibit, but he was a beautiful animal.
    I miss the roadrunner at the Queens Zoo.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  10. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Woodland Park is my hometown zoo, although I haven't actually been there is over half a decade now. Travel is expensive ;-;

I miss the elephants there a lot, I still keep tabs on how Sri and Bamboo are doing at their respective zoos. I also miss the old nocturnal house.

11. ZooNerd1234

ZooNerd1234 Well-Known Member

I do miss elephants at Brookfield but it was right for them to go

evilmonkey239 and savetherhino like this.
  12. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I miss from Budapest Zoo:
    Walrus
    Chimpanzee
    Okapi
    Sable antelope
    Nilgau antelope
    Musk ox
    Serows
    Himalayan tahr
    Reindeer
    Moose
    Milu
    Ocelot
    Lynxes
    Wolf
    African painted dog
    Maned wolf
    Hyenas
    Colobuses

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  13. Portsmouthcrocohunter

Portsmouthcrocohunter New Member

what phased out species do you miss from your local zoo/aquarium/safari park. here's mine. you are more than welcome to do the same place twice.
    Marwell
    Dwarf Crocodile
    Celebes Crested Macaque
    Ocalot
    Several
    Caracal
    Bat Eared Fox
    Giant Anteater
    Ring Tailed Coati
    Dama gazelle
    Gemsbok
    Takin
    Forest Buffalo

NMM likes this.
  14. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

I miss from Beauval Zoo :
    Fennec Fox
    Kinkajou
    Sugar Glider
    Tammar Wallaby
    Parma Wallaby
    Plains Zebra
    Blesbok
    Markhor
    Barasingha (according to Zootierliste, this species stayed for a very short time, and may not be displayed to the public)
    Nile Crocodile
    Tonkean Macaque
    Mangabeys
    And many species of birds (including Hummingbirds), reptiles and amphibians

15. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bush dogs, Przewalski's wild horses, Southern screamers, Siamese crocodiles, White-nosed coati, Binturong, Southern pudu, Common barn owl, Lion-tailed macaques, and African wild dogs all at you guessed it: Detroit.

I also miss the Maned wolves at Toledo.

16. NMM

NMM Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What I miss most from Marwell.

• Babirusa - An interesting and unusual species.
    • Malayan tapir - They were replaced with Brazilians. Malayan tapir are rare in the UK, only 3 zoos currently hold them whilst the Brazilian species are common.
    • Takin as mentioned above.
    • Arabian sand cats - Not a well known species but I always noticed a positive reaction from visitors due to the cuteness factor.
    • Not a specific species but the reduction in the cat collection. The cat species currently held are Amur tigers, snow leopards and servals. This is a zoo that at one point held lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, snow leopards, cheetahs and several smaller species of cat a the same time.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  17. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sacramento - Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby, Margay, Geoffroy's Cat, Great and Knobbed Hornbills, Crested Guineafowl, Keel-billed Toucan, Emperor Flat Lizard, Peter's Keeled Cordylid for a few.

18. Jambi

Jambi Well-Known Member

I don't have a home town zoo per se, but for the two that are closest to me:
    - Safari Zoo Cumbria - they used to keep babirusa, cheetahs, mandrills and pygmy hippopotamus, as well as a little tropical house with a yellow anaconda and some Rodrigues fruit bats. All of those things are gone today, it's still a fantastic place to visit, but I do miss those species.
    - Lake District Wildlife Park - they used to keep American bison at one point in their history, but haven't kept them for years at this point. They also used to have a really good reptile house with things like alligator snapping turtles, but now it's been reduced down to a small handful of reptiles.

19. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Barcelona Zoo has lost some animals I've been able to visit and really miss since their disappearance; black lemurs, black-and-white ruffed lemurs, mandrills, black-and-white colobus, common squirrel monkey, Tibetan macaque, lion-tailed macaque, siamang, Cuban crocodile (may be offshow, but I doubt it at this point), Morelet's crocodile, mugger crocodile, American alligator, Malaysian gharial, Red tegu, panther chameleon, leaf-tailed gecko, Cuban boa, yellow anaconda, reticulated python, African rock python, giant waxy monkey frog, fire-bellied toad, tomato frog, Chinese giant salamander, toco toucan, keel-billed toucan, Great Indian hornbill, rhinoceros hornbill, golden-headed quetzal, Congo grey parrot, turkey vulture, king vulture, Andean condor, common rhea, emu, Hawaiian goose, coscoroba swan, greater flamingo, golden eagle, common eland, greater kudu, gaur, American plains bison, collared peccary, nilgai, wapiti, waterbuck, sambar, Asian elephant, Southern tamandua, Eurasian lynx, snow leopard, cougar, African wild dog, Asiatic black bear, American black bear, harbour seal, bottlenose dolphin... The list could go on, but I'm gonna stop here XD
    In all seriousness though, while I do miss these species, I do believe that a large part of them left for logical reasons, most notably for the optimization of the space the collection has available.

Bisonblake and Haliaeetus like this.
  20. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

I do miss the sea lions at Whipsnade though it wasn’t the best enclosure any more and their new home at Yorkshire is simply lovely. It was the right move. But all the same I miss visiting them - they were a highlight. And the old enclosure looking increasingly like a bit of a wreck is a sad reminder of more dense collection times. Perhaps it’s the proposed new reptile house though.

I also miss our old lion pride - the visiting lions are great to watch and I hope we will get some more but as a frequent visitor you do develop an affection for animals over many years (in my experience anyway) and I do miss the old gang.

JigerofLemuria likes this.