Join our zoo community

Animals you'll never see in a zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ^Chris^, 22 May 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I hope this thread hasn't been done before here on zoobeat- sorry if it has.

I was just wondering what animals people can think of, that have never been kept for a zoo audience? Or animals that currently aren't exhibited anywhere? The one's I were thinking of are these, though to be fair I'm not entirely sure about some of them:-

Mountain Gorilla
    Ethiopian Wolf
    Marbled Cat
    Javan Rhino (?, not sure, but i've never heard of them being exhibited)
    Indri (I think the zoo in Madagascar's capital city might have a couple of wild-caught ones though I'm not sure- they don't breed).
    Ganges River Dolphin? Or Amazon for that matter (i'm sure there was an american aquarium with the amazon sort in the 70s.)

Are these right? What other one's are there?

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

many (too many) zoos tried to keep mountain gorillas over the years, none with much success.
    however there are currently two eastern gorillas at antwerp (which belong to the same species as the mountain type).

the only zoo that has recorded keeping the javan rhino that i know of was adelaide zoo a long, long time ago. it was mistakingly thought to be an indian rhino.

the duisberg zoo in germany currently is teh only zoo/aquarium with boto (amazon dolphin) i think there is only one left. prior to this the columbus zoo had one, who died a couple of years ago.

there are no indus on ganges dolphin in captivity.

i have no idea bout the marbled cat or indri but and know of no ethiopian wolves in captivity (though they are a good candidate for a well managed program).

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry but that's not correct. The only proven examples of true Mountain Gorillas(G.g. beringei) entering captivity that I know of are the following four animals;

0.1- 'Miss Congo' to Bronx Zoo NEw York 1920's.
    1.0 - 'Rueben' to London Zoo UK. c.1961 (died soon after)
    0.2 - 'Coco' & 'Pucker' to Cologne Zoo Germany, 1960's ( and died within two months of each other aged about ten years.)

Eastern Lowlands (G.g.grauerii) but sometimes falsely claimed as 'Mountain' Gorillas have also been exhibited in the past at the following zoos;

San Diego (2.0) London(1.o) Bronx NY.(1.1) Chester(1.1) Antwerp(several, still have o.2) Oklahoma/Houston 1.0(same animal)

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

There haven't been any whales in zoos have there? They seem to be too big to keep in captivity.

5. ^Chris^

Thanks for the info Patrick and Grantsmb

Jonathon, I think there have been some whales in captivity, but not big ones.Depends what you class as a whale really, I think there have been pygmy sperm whales in captivity? Not sure if there are currently.

On a completely different note, do any zoos keep pangolins I was wondering?

6. Writhedhornbill

Check the rare species in European zoos threads. There is something on Pangolins there.

7. patrick

some americans returned casually to the states from a trip to africa recently with a pangolin in their hand-luggage. had no problems taking it out of africa and apon entering the states just casually explained that it was an orphan they purchased in a market and that they knew nothing about it and felt guilty to leave it so brought it home. no fines - donated to a US zoo.

imagine if it was like that here in australia?

i can imagine more than a few zoobeat members getting off a plane with a bongo on a leish..

"oh this? yes, not sure what it is. was gift from a friend in africa. felt sorry for it so i brought it home...sure, i'll donate it to the zoo, theres an okapi in my backpack too" ;)

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Ha Ha, Pat,

I guess thats how we could boost our Palm Cocky Population aswell, thats another bird not seen often in Zoos, Australian Palm Cockies, i know of one in a zoo and 2 in private hands. (in aust)

9. ^Chris^

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Rare Animals in European zoos thread Jonathan, I've checked it out and its pretty interesting.

I was reading the other day that Probiscis Monkeys are pretty rare in zoos. Apparently nearly all zoo probiscises are wild caught and die quite quickly.
    Any others?

10. patrick

i only know of singapore having any success with proboscis - which isn't that unusual since they keep them in the right climate and probably have many of their native diet available as fodder...

11. Pertinax

A few European zoos- namely Frankfurt, Basel & Twycross UK. have kept proboscis over several years and bred them in the past (1960's/70's)- but not really successfully as each group slowly died out. So too I think did those at San Diego? Any others anyone know of?

"An Okapi In My Backpack " -what a wonderful title for a Durrellesque style book....:)

12. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow, how could anyone get away with that... aren't pangolins endangered?
    Anyways pangolins are hard to maintain in captivity, something about their artificial zoo diets giving them stomach ulcers. A zoo in Taiwan has been successful in breeding pangolins after they formulated a suitable diet.

And i want an okapi too!

13. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

why dont you uk members get really vindictive and write a list of animals Australians will never see in their local zoos. and in return well write you guys a list-soon we'll have giant pandas and sumatran rhinos, so beat that ;)
    ill start with bilbies. are bilbies miantained in any zoo outside australia, or platypus? or coroboree frogs.

Last edited: 23 May 2007
  14. ^Chris^

Platypus was one I was wondering about. None in Britain at the moment, but I think there may have been at London once. Do any zoos outside Aus have platypus?

We have no echidnas or Tasmanian devils either, or tree kangaroos as far as I know, and only Edinburgh have koala. I'm sure some other zoos have echidna however (San Diego?), and I once read that Chester did have them, or at least planned to have them in their twilight zone.

Actually, talking of echidnas, I was wondering if any zoos kept the long-beaked variety?

15. Writhedhornbill

Paignton Apparently have a pair of Echidna. London has also had taz. Devils and wombats. Penny at Chester loves wombats. Wouldn't it be nice to get them all over so everyone could see them............... Sleeping!!!!

I believe Moscow or another russian zoo keeps the long beaked Echidan. Chester has had the short beaked echidna in the past.

16. ^Chris^

Cheers Jonathan, I knew London used to have quite a few marsupials, I think they were all in the Clore house, but I did not know about Paignton's echidnas, thanks for the information.

17. Pertinax

I don't think anywhere outside Oz has Bilbies. I've seen them in Australia(in breeding centres) and they're impossible-looking creatures- few people in UK would even know what they look like.

D.B. Platypus- (seen them wild in Tasmania too- great).
    In captivity - the ONLY ones I know of were three(1.2) taken in the 1940's/50's to the BRONX Zoo NY. by the australian naturalist David Fleay, who travelled with them on their sea journey. Bronx Zoo kept them successfully for some while. I think they coul have had one more, later on.
    I don't think London or any other foreign zoo has ever exhibited them?

ZSL HAS exhibited Tassie Devils in the nocturnal part of the Clore Pavilion in the past.

18. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paignton have a pair of Echidna. I've been several times but always see an empty enclosure. Chester were thinking of importing Tasmanian Devils several years ago but nothing seems to have come of it. I saw them in London Zoo in 1985. I also saw Bruijn's Echidna and Common Wombat at the same time

Last edited: 23 May 2007
  19. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bronx had a lonely male in their indoor rainforest exhibit when i was there in 2000. I don't know if he is still there.
    I was lucky enough to see some in Borneo a couple of years ago. They are wierd looking creatures.

20. patrick

Long-beaked echidnas - only three outside new guinea. a single male at moscow and a pair at taronga. unfortunately despite having kept this species for a long while has never had any success with breeding. i believe there are a few in captivity in new guniea however.

Pangolin - heres the links...
    http://www.cbc.ca/aih/STEAM/2005/pangolin_2005021.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-01-19-pangolin_x.htm

Platypus - i was under the belief that none had ever survived any decent amount of time in overseas zoos. there certainly isn't any outside australia at the present and i doubt there will be anytime soon..(though i'm sure the japanese would swap just about anything for some!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.