Join our zoo community

Animals you'll never see in a zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ^Chris^, 22 May 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhinosteve

Rhinosteve New Member

Let you feed him? I could never condone such a flagrant breech of protocol! (Oh who am I kidding, quite possibly!)
    I had left lympne before they were transported, but its unlikely that they removed the horn intentionaly. For rhinos to loose their horn in transit (trying to batter their way out of a crate) is a relativly common thing (Im sure you are aware of its particular physiology), its messy but grows back quite fast. If they arrived home hornless i suspect that was the cause.
    Steve

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, I felt very priveliged anyway....

Torgamba's horns were very long if you remember... They would have been a poacher's dream in Sumatra- worth a fortune... Perhaps they cut them down before transit, or were damaged in transit and later cut to protect him on arrival in Sumatra. Nowadays he sports just the two little bumps typical of the wild rhinos.

3. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how often the site is updated, and whether they still keep Commerson's dolphins?

5. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. Potto

Potto Well-Known Member

If you were still wondering, a male Marbled Cat is currently kept at Khao Kheow Open Zoo.

7. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Sebbe67 also keeps a Marbled cat..

8. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

One of the females grauer's gorillas in antwerp zoo is very likely to be a pure mountain gorilla.
    And Duisburg zoo keeps one old amazon river dolfin in a beautiful tropical hall.

9. Potto

Potto Well-Known Member

I contacted Gladys Porter zoo and they say that 1 male Jentink's Duiker is still on exhibit there. I don't know if it's aging. But their Hunter's Hartebeest (Hirola) is gone, so you were right on that one.

10. Potto

Potto Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any Uakaris, Zebra Duiker or Clarke's gazelles (Dibatags) in captivity?

11. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Uakari's outside of South-America:
    Only at Los Angeles Zoo. They are not reported anymore on their website so they might have moved behind the scenes. Last thing i heared was that they kept 1.3. For more info see my reply to the LA Zoo thread in the North America Section.

During the 1990's i believe all three species have been kept at Cologne Zoo, but their last pair of White Uakari's died in 2005.

Zebra Duiker:
    Last known to my to be kept at Cincinatti Zoo (at least till 2002), but ISIS doesn't report any anymore, so i think they're all gone. Definately not kept in Europe.

Clarke's Gazelle:
    Don't know of any and 99.9 sure they are not kept outside of Africa. Perhaps one of the Sheiks keeps a herd but afaik most of them are on ISIS and pretty accurate so i don't think so.

12. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there any Baikal seals in captivity or flying lemurs

13. Potto

Potto Well-Known Member

Singapore Zoo has some free-ranging malayan flying lemurs. I don't know about the Baikal seals.

14. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

apparently leipzig zoo has one baikal.

the colugo's at singapore zoo are wild and native to the island. thus cannot really be classified as "free ranging".

zooish said that all efforts to keep them alive in captivity, even at singapore have so far failed. which seems odd since they live on the zoo grounds already!!

15. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a real pity about zebra duikers. Not many zoos kept them but they seemed to breed fairly easily. Same story as the saiga. I suppose the reasoning behind studbooks/EEP/SSPs is to stop this sort of thing happening again.

Jentink's duiker is a really striking animal; apparently thousands are being killed for bushmeat. If only some could be exported to get an ex situ population going.

Four-horned antelope/chousingha appears to be down to one animal at Paris. In the 80's there seemed to be one in every other enclosure at Howlett's, I don't know what happened there.

Two more: Chiru and kodkod. I don't think either has ever been kept in captivity.

Re dugongs - not seen any in captivity, but have seen them in the wild...

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Four-horned antelope/chousingha appears to be down to one animal at Paris. In the 80's there seemed to be one in every other enclosure at Howlett's, I don't know what happened there.

You are right, I saw them there in the mid 80s they had quite a few of them.

Two more: Chiru and kodkod. I don't think either has ever been kept in captivity.

I did hear some years ago that one or two of the European zoos had Kodkods

Re dugongs - not seen any in captivity, but have seen them in the wild...[/QUOTE]

Seaworld in Queensland have a young pair on display

17. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Concerning dugongs, there's a young female in Singapore Underwater world and another yound individual in Sea World Indonesia (Jakarta).
    Concerning chousinghas, some english zoos and both paris zoos bred this specie very well in the past but as the founders of the group were only a few pairs, there have been a lot of inbreeding which resulted in diseases and other problems that made most of the newborn animals die very early. The last remaning chousinghas in english zoos were sent to Paris where they bred for a few more years, but then died... in 2005, only three animals remained in captivity outside India... three females, two of them in Menagerie du jardin des plantes in Paris, one of them in Berlin zoo. The one in Berlin died in 2006, same for one of the two Paris females (because of stress as they wanted to put Macropus rufogriseus in the same enclosure... silly!!!!).
    So only one chousingha left... and she's old...

Concerning uakaris, it's interesting to know that Cologne zoo (at the end of the 50s) had breeding groups of all uakari species (white, red and black headed). There are still red-headed uakaris in LA zoo but also a single male (mature but not old) in France. It belongs to the french breeder named Dr. Henri Quinque who also owns many kagus... It has been handraised in Quinque's bedroom before moving to its permanent cage. Dr Quinque's center is absolutely not visitable and I know that he almost never want any exchange of animals (which is absolutely stupid)...

18. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot Pedro for finally giving me the name of the fellow I saw mentioned here again and again.

19. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last year Monaco Aquarium received two young Baikal seals as a gift from an eastern country (russia?) to the royalty's of Monaco.

20. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I would like to see a Platypus in European zoo's. But I think Australia has forbidden to keep them outside their country. The Budapest zoo had some of them a long time ago. They're fascinating animals!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.