Join our zoo community

Animals You've Seen That Few Zoochatters Have Seen

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Hipporex, 18 Dec 2018.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Geladas are meh, I see two troops quite regularly! :p

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Worst regret, miss or gut punch in the history of Zoochat!

3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw this species for the first time recently and while I thought they were pretty, I didn't find them any more interesting than any other baboon (and yes I know they aren't "true" baboons)

evilmonkey239 and Brum like this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But it wasn't so long ago there were none in the UK at all. and hadn't been for about forty years. Now present at Edinburgh, Colchester, Howletts, Dudley and Wild Place(Bristol).

5. KevinVar

KevinVar Well-Known Member

That's a very enticing list, a quick skim for fun gave me only five species that I've seen.

I'm guessing my best bet regarding mammals is probably White-thighed Colobus (Colobus vellerosus).

Chlidonias and Vision like this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just realized how few people have actually seen the Tuxuci (Sotalia dolphin) in Munster and the Nilgiri langurs in Erfurt. The rarest taxon Erfurt kept at that time was the last Adolf Friedrich's colobus, a subspecies of Angolan black-and-white colobus, a species seen by many zoochatters.

I have seen about 20 of @Giant Eland 's list, but most of those were seen in the wild and in a few months I should have seen a few more of his list...

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I saw the Sotalia dolphins several times in Munster and, prior to that, saw the same individuals several times when they were at Nuremberg Zoo.

8. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is an interesting topic as "few zoochatters" is such a specific but cleverly chosen term; many of you have seen dozens of species I likely never will, for example, because of the differences between the American and European collections. There's also the point about 'destination zoos' such as San Diego and how any zoochater that travels has seen those species likely; so the topic somewhat favors obscure species from odd collections. This is clever!

I guess Brookfield's pangolion is the only one I have worth mentioning for sure, and I've barely seen that.

9. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Different continent means a lot. You would have never seen a platypus before if you aren't travelling in Australia

ThylacineAlive and JVM like this.
  10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The most spectacular of all the black-and-white colobus races, in my opinion. I must scan my photo from Basle in 1973 ;)
    I reckon I have seen 19 species from Giant Eland's list and have photos of about a dozen (most of which are in the Gallery). I think I have an image of a wild oribi somewhere, which would be worth adding if it's as good as I remember.

11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You are right, I didn't see it at Münster :(. However..... I saw it at 3 other collections : Duisburg, Ouwehands and Antwerp :) !!!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Theoretically I could have seen the last langur in 2014 when I first visited Berlin, as i did consider visiting Erfurt - but ultimately Magdeburg won out. All things considered I reckon I made the right choice though.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  13. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ooo where are you planning to go in a few months??

14. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For those of us that have visited Hamerton - The Southern Aardwolf (Proteles cristata cristatus)

Putting a slight twist on it all - Wild Coqurrels Sifaka (Propithecus coquereli), Mongoose Lemur (Eulemur mongoz), Brown lemur (Eulemur fulvus) and various Mouse lemur species.

Oh and a single wild Malagasy Nile Crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus madagascariensis) - There aren't many left where I was based.

15. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen wild Cuban crocodiles if that counts.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  16. vogelcommando

3 taxa of bee-eaters seen by only very few ZooChatters ( at least I think so ) :
    -Red-breasted bee-eater - saw it at Vogelpark Metelener Heide ( don't know how common this species is in the wild, otherwhile some more ZooChatters could have seen it in its South East Asian home-range )
    - Black bee-eater - found in the much less visited West Africa and I took care for it at Walsrode in the 1980s.
    - Cinnamon-chested bee-eater - quite small home-range in Africa and I took care for it ( and had the world-first-breeding with it in 1986 :) ) at Walsrode.

17. Hipporex

So did you work at a zoo or something along those lines?

18. vogelcommando

Yes.

JVM likes this.
  19. Hipporex

20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Vogelcommando is famous in Zoochat community for have been worked at Walsrode Weltvögelpark when this park have even much more zillion times of the rarest and most dreamed amazing birds of the planet, many of them now completely absent from captivity in the world. What makes much of us jealous :D