Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Annual Meeting Zoo Chat ???? Why No ???

Discussion in 'Events & Meetups' started by raven75, 3 Jun 2009.

1. raven75

raven75 New Member

I just wonder ( I am new on zoochat ) if is never being organized one meeting for the members of ZooChat . Maybe we can decide all together when , where ... etc , I think is really nice even speak and meet members even on the real world and not just on the computer ... Thanks to everyone let me know if this maybe is a good idea ???

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

A lovely idea.

How about this:

http://www.zoochat.com/2/zoo-chat-community-get-together-71228/

3. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I think it's an idea that can work in the UK but definitely not in the US. Looks like the link above has a lot of action on the idea.

4. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We should have a US version in Cincinnati. It seems that several members have ties there or are relatively near. There are some great ones far away in the west, though. It wouldn't be the same with now Snowleopard or Mstickmanp.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A U.S. meeting/trip could be a good idea if it is planned far enough ahead that people can save up and get a cheap flight. Cincinnati is one of my favorites (because of the extensive cat collection) and I have never been to The Wilds, but always wanted to. But of course Southern California and Florida are perennial favorites with tons to see. (If we do Southern California, I know the founder of Exotic Feline Breeding Compound and could arrange a behind-the-scenes tour).

6. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

It could work. However, I know the hatred to which some bear for the Cincinnati Zoo so I don't know how well that would go over. I would say Columbus but...wow, talk about a metropolis.

7. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

If there are those of us willing to do it, I can make a poll to decide what area to meet up at, lets say in the fall. Maybe pick zoos that opened new exhibits this year? or just those that are big and would be a popular destination for anyone of us...and i dont see why it would have to be restricted to just North American zoochatters, but will welcome anyone to join in at one of these north american zoos.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Why would anyone hate Cincinnati? Plus, I assumed if we were going out there, we would do Columbus as well (and hopefully The Wilds). I'm not sure about other cities, but I know from here in Tucson it's actually easier and cheaper to fly into Columbus, so I would be there anyway, but would not miss Cincinnati while I'm there.

Fall is good, but I know some northern zoos only do special events is summer, like the Cincinnati cheetah run (though maybe we could get them to do a special Fall run just for us? I do have one contact with one of their senior executives, Mike Dulaney, never actually met him but we have corresponded on several occasions).

9. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member