Join our zoo community

Everland Zoo Another Asian Zoo in very bad conditions

Discussion in 'South Korea' started by eduardo_Brazil, 4 Oct 2011.

1. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

While im in Ásia I visited China and did not get time to visit Changsha Zoo, but get to Zhangjiajie and could see wild Chinese Giant Salamanders and some in captivity too.

Currently im in Korea and today got some time and decided to visit Everland ats "Zoo"...don´t know if I can call it a Zoo, because it would give a bad reputation to all other zoos.

The zoo itself is very small, devided in African Sector, Primates, Birds, Pinguins and Seals, Safari World (the worst safari I ever saw in my life) and a small mamalls sector.

I started by the Safari World, and in the line already got to know how the collection is based and build, to only attract visitors (of course its a amusement park). The animals in display in Safari World where 20 lions, 14 tigers (mixed), 2 elephants, 12 giraffes, 6 zebras, 2 camels and 14 bears...there where some vultures and owls in cage near the gates too.

The espaces for the animals are very, very small and the carnivores are all confined near the road where the bus crosses by hotwire, even if there was a lot more space avaiable for them, with natural trees, the elephants share a ridicilous minimum enclosure with a very small pool, Im not sure, but it seems there is not space for both in the pool, camels, zebras, giraffes all in substandart enclosures! But what made me feel very bad was when the bus entered the bear section 14 adult bears with steriotopic behavior and trained to make things for the visitors and several babies separated from the adults in small hotwire enclosures!

After I crossed the seal pool...also very small with pinguins at the side.

The bird sector is a common sector, could say, aviaries are normal, but the are several birds in very small bird cages hanging around a platform.

Well the African Sector...I was surprised in see all animals in "aquariums" and in conditions not suitable for them! The collection included marabus in a very small space.

The monkey sector displays some interesting species like Golden Snub Nosed Monkeys, Orangutans, Chimps, Marmosets, Tamarins...

In a tank I could finnd even a fantastic mixed species exhibit: Californian Sea Lions with Oriental Small Clawed otters!

Another interesting point about this collection is that most of the babies are separated from theier families for be displied in the "Baby" area: Lions, Lemurs, Coatis.

The zoo and park is really crowed even during the week and it seems money is not a problem for upgrade the zoo! Is just a question of do it and feeling!

Im uploading some photos...not so good ones, but I tought would be nice to share them with you.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011