Join our zoo community

Another David Gill appreciation thread! :)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mrcriss, 3 Oct 2014.

1. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

So everyone's favourite loudmouth has been thrown a bone in the case of allowing his ibis to escape on the grounds that wild ibis have apparently been seen in the UK before. As such, he's desperately trying to gather evidence of this from his bizarrely loyal Facebook minions.

Hmmmmm.....whether or not these have passed through england, I'd fairly confidently guess they don't frequent that most bleak corner of Cumbria!:rolleyes:

The jammy sod will probably get out of this one once again on a technicality....once again!:mad:

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How can he prove that it was a wild bird.

3. mrcriss

From what I understand, he doesn't have to....only that they do exist in the wild in the UK

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

He admits the bird in question was his; as such his defence is more or less that he was not guilty of permitting the escape of a non-resident invasive taxon into the wild.

5. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed that within the past few days, Dave Gill has been busy changing his parks status on Facebook, to show how wonderful and brilliant the place is and, how they are so brilliant with breeding, studbook and animal welfare programmes?
    Asking for help from his Facebook followers seems desperate and very dishonest, afterall, he is the owner, he has the ability to ask his staff or compile research himself and should know how to run a zoo/safari park?
    So, are we to assume he is clutching at straws? - No, I fear not. Even though he has stated that the bird is his, the laws can be complex enough for many, even for those with the right acumen. His cards are marked, marked well by his own failures and stupid folly, his benign rants that show clear madness and a failure to comprehend. Indeed, Dave Gill has himself to blame. However, there is also blame at the doors of others too; from council to court, from staff to public alike, from the people who sit there rubber-necking as this sorry parade of nonsense carries on like some dark Shakespeare Tragedy play...

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Given the 'wild' Sacred Ibis in Europe are all the product of feral breeding colonies- its a moot point that any visiting the UK are genuine wild birds. It is classed as an 'invasive species' presumably for just this reason.

Strange though how there is this legal wrangle over a single bird escape from his park, given the other possibly more serious escapes in the past.

7. Pertinax

See my comment on 'wild' Sacred Ibis above. If there were any, given their evident sources and status it might be even harder to prove.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2014
  8. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Many would say that pumas have been seen wild in the UK before...

9. mrcriss

This post made me chuckle:

"A public invitation to all elected Councilors in the Barrow Borough to meet to discuss the positive and exciting future ahead with the Zoo. As the flagship attraction in the Lake District and North West of England we wish to forge partnerships and a relationship that brings the Borough into positive headlines for innovation and constructive partnership in tourism and sustainable conservation."

....especially as it was only a couple of weeks ago that he was publicly calling them all names under the sun! :D

10. mrcriss

If I were the council, I'd take that olive branch and beat him to death with it!:D:D:D

11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another David Gill....

As I think I said before, the Ibis killed several people and laid waste the country for miles around.

12. Pertinax

And then it went off and starting eating eggs and chicks of our native waterfowl. :eek: Was just watching a pop video on the T.V and it showed a rubbish dump somewhere(Africa?), I noticed there were hundreds of these Ibis scavenging on it. I think perhaps they are better off staying in France....

The very similar Black-necked(?) Ibis in Australia are very tame too. I remember seeing them hanging around tourist places and even Zoo cafeterias, scavenging food from around the tables.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2014
  13. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

lol and there was I thinking an ibis was about as dangerous as a mallard.

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member