Join our zoo community

Zoo København Another elephant house?

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Kwambeze, 7 Feb 2010.

1. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Hello! I have been to Copenhagen once, in 2009. I was really exciting , and also my first travel outside Sweden :p. It was amazing to walk in a totaly new zoo, with many new spicies for me. But when I came home, I was still thinking about the elephant house. You probably know that a new elephant house is up-build in Copenhagen. The old elephant house was a photo Exhibition with old pics. My question is, after I have seen an tv-show ín Swedish television with some danish elephants, where did the young elephants from thailand (i think) lived their first year/s in Copenhagen? It was not in the old elephant house? From the show I also remember that they played with some jungle hen´s ...

I hope someone can answer my question. I am really sorry for my bad english.

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right in your assumptions, Kwambeze. Let me see if I can explain it to you.

Go find the map of Copenhagen Zoo of today. Look at the corner a bit down to the right of the old elephant house as it is showned today. Imagine a perhaps 600 - 700 square meter rectangle, consisting of a house (perhaps 200 square meters big) and a square or rectangle of perhaps 500 square meters of plain sand/grovel filled enclosure, surrounded by a thick iron fence.

This was the former giraffe enclosure, evacuated when the giraffes got a better enclosure "on the other side of the road", OK? And this was the enclosure that the young Thai elephants were kept in before they were moved to the old elephant house and exhibit built in 1914.

I think that they were kept in the former giraffe enclosure for 2 or 3 years. They were kept in "free contact", just like the elephants in "the old house", and I saw the keepers playing with them in the exercise yard. They were also taken for walks around the zoo.

After some years they were introduced to the herd in the old elephant exhibit and then the building of the new exhibit eventually began. What hurt me the most was that the bull among the Thai herd eventually got banned by the herd and had to spend 22 hours a day locked into a small pen in the old elephant house until the new exhibit was finished. Everytime I visited him I felt so ashamed that I could not look into his eyes.

3. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Thanks Dan! It was what I thought, it looked like a giraffe house. But the giraffes could not have a big outdoor area? You do not have any pictures from back there?

It is really intresting facts!
    Thanks!

4. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Glad that I could be of help! But no, unfortunately I don´t have any pictures of it. But it really wasn´t much to see anyway... like I said, a square or rectangle grovel filled yard, perhaps 500 square meter big.

5. zoo chp89

zoo chp89 Well-Known Member

hello kwambeze1 im from sweden to live in stockholm! hej där jag kan mycket om köpenhamn zoo så fråga bara om elefanterna och historien om elefenterna i köpenhamn zoo