Join our zoo community

Paradise Valley Springs Another Lion cub for Rotorua

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by jones, 15 Aug 2010.

1. jones

jones Well-Known Member

A female cub, "Ella", was born at the park on 18/06/2010 and rejected by mum "Luca". "Luca" gave birth previously on 02/02/2010 to a male cub, "Chase".

Paradise Valley Springs Wildlife Park

2. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. It's a shame Luca has rejected her last two litters though.

3. jones

jones Well-Known Member

Paradise Valley has euthanized their eldest Lioness "Honey" in December 2010 at 22 years old.

Honey was born at the park on 08/04/1988 and has resided at the park her entire life. Her son "Max" still resides at Paradise Valley and is their breeding male. Her daughter "Millie" was moved to the National Zoo in Canberra in 2001 where she mother three male cubs.

4. felix

felix Well-Known Member

one cub is a small litter
    were there more and they died?

5. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point. I too have often wondered why the lioness' produce such small litters. I know Ryo's second litter (born in 2004) comprised of three cubs but one died at birth. The two remianing females were named Luca and Lea.

It is unfortunate Paradise Valley do not import new lions to strenghten the pride's bloodlines. Many of their lions are inbred and the breeding male (Max) is the father of the breeding female (Luca).

6. felix

felix Well-Known Member

one result of inbreeding is lower fertility,
    i suppose with limited space and other zoos not interested in inbred? progeny it is fortuitous that the litter sizes are so small for their cub patting experience