Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Another Pregnant Elephant!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by okapikpr, 19 Feb 2009.

1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

To try and get a really good genetic base to start the program of with, otherwise it will become stale quickly and the option of doing this may not be there in te future.

2. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just that Bong Su is not getting "it" right, if my understanding is correct. He never managed to mate with Me Kapah (I guess she never let him because they had been grown up together), and either he`s definately not getting it, or he needed more time to practise and the zoo wanted babys immediately. Letting nature happen would not only be much cheaper, but also be good enrichment AND would give the serious chance for a female calf.

3. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow, that is going to be a real long term problem!!!

4. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That`s not a problem if zoos breed elephants by natural matings. In Europe, AI is done rarely, if my count is correct only 5 calves sired by AI were born here if you include Israel (3 africans, 2 asians = all males). At the moment, one calf of each species is on the way, in Twycross and Colchester. Thankfully far most zoos rely on natural breeding.

5. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Of course, natural mating is preferable to artificial insemination (and a lot less expensive) but in the case of Australian zoos it was imperative that the breeding program commence, and quickly, in view of the fact that there was so much opposition to the importation of these elephants a few years back. (The last thing the zoos needed was no babies and the animal lib. types saying "we told you so." )

6. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

yep, Bong Su just doesn't know how to mount. But at least one baby over hear was cause of natural mating either way fantastic news.