Join our zoo community

Another thread about a new zoo...

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by nicholas, 28 Jul 2017.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any updates regarding this upcoming facility? I'm eager to hear more.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2017
  2. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interest but there's nothing new yet. Planning permission is lengthy process.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Will you tell the surface or the size of the site where you are planing a zoo, nicholas, or you can't tell this now.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2017
  4. nicholas

It's 5 hectares (or 12 acres).

pachyderm pro and Arizona Docent like this.
  5. Nikola Chavkosk

Oh that is realy nice, but you are not planing a giraffes or hippos, right/

6. nicholas

No, there are no plans for either of those species, but for now I'm focused on permits and construction of visitor amenities. Collection planning seems less important now, even though I have shared some of the species I plan on holding. All that might change though, as I think the species held have very little to do with the success of a zoo.

animalszoos, pachyderm pro and Batto like this.
  7. Nikola Chavkosk

I share this opinion with you.

8. Corax

Corax Active Member

I for love the guinea pig idea. Perhaps you could at some point hire a part-time animal trainer to teach them some simple tricks. In Heureka, a Finnish science center, there has been a show where rats play basketball. Sorry if I'm being silly.

nicholas likes this.
  9. pachyderm pro

So it’s a been a couple of months, and has any of this progressed? I hate to sound like a broken record but I am just so intrigued with this project. Correct me if I’m wrong, but did you at one point say construction could start as early as Fall 2017? We’re waiting :p

10. nicholas

Still waiting for the planning permission to come through. Hopefully this month, though I thought so last month too. I promise to keep you informed on any progress.

11. nicholas

Planning permission has come through, but some neighbors might appeal against it. I’ll know in a few weeks. Still a positive thing though.

12. pachyderm pro

Perhaps to celebrate you should reveal the next section of your new park ;)!

animal_expert01 likes this.
  13. pachyderm pro

Have any neighbors appealed against the project in the past few weeks? Have you started to begin construction on the facility as of late? Will you be revealing another section of the park soon? Does your park have a name yet?

I'm really sorry for all these questions, but I've been throwing some ideas around in my head recently and have been scrolling through threads like this pretty much all day. Best of luck with this new park of course.

14. nicholas

No need to apologize. I appreciate your interest. No appeals have been filed yet, but there is still time for them to do so. I haven't started construction and I won't share the name yet (though I think it will be something boring along the lines "closestcitytomy location zoo". I'll try to find the time to share some more exhibit plans/fantasies soon.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  15. nicholas

There was no appeal against the planning permission, so these plans are becoming more and more real. Construction will start this summer.

MRJ, birdsandbats, Vision and 15 others like this.
  16. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Congrats!

17. pachyderm pro

*cough*

birdsandbats and ZooBinh like this.
  18. nicholas

Thank you for your interest. There isn’t much to tell at the moment. We’re landscaping and working on permits.

19. pachyderm pro

I really hate to keep being that guy, but has any of this come to fruition since the last post eight months ago?

20. nicholas

I like that someone is that guy! I don’t really have much time for zoochat these days, or maybe I’ve just gotten a bit bored. But I can tell you that funding has been secured!

It’s actually a pretty funny story.

I was a bit scared to go to the bank because I knew that I would get really frustrated and sad if my proposal for a loan wouldn’t be accepted. I knew that was a real possibility and I did have several other options, but still it felt like best way to go.
    So when I finally gathered the guts to go,
    I couldn’t even get an appointment with my bank. They didn’t answer emails and didn’t call back. This went on for two weeks.
    When my banker finally called back he gave me some lame excuse. I wasn’t in a position to hold a grudge so I was nice and polite and went on to tell him why I wanted to see him.
    He was quite uninterested and almost rude and said that no matter what company I was starting they would never even consider loaning money to a new company. Maybe I would be able to take the loan personally, but that didn’t sound likely. He was almost rude in his tone and seemed in a hurry.

I got really mad and immediately called a smaller, local bank. I got an appointment two days later and in the morning I presented my business plan. This banker was very nice and seemed interested. After the meeting he told me that their policy was to have a meeting with several colleagues before deciding wether or not to loan money to a start up business. It could take a few days to a week.

I went home feeling the meeting had gone well, and felt even better when I got an email a few hours later saying they where on board.

So now I’m busy building and dealing with construction workers.