Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Antwerp Day Trip

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by markun, 17 Jul 2009.

1. markun

markun Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going to Antwerp for the day, how long should I allow for the zoo? Is it a good destination for a day trip?

It's one of the zoos I'm most interested in the moment, for its architecture and to see what they do with what I guess is a relatively small space.

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Depends really, i could easily fill a day at Antwerp Zoo, but it's not an overly large Zoo so if you're really fast i'd say 4 hours minimum to see everything. It's usually a very popular day-trip attraction, mainly because it's situated right next to the Antwerp Central Station. It's one of the old zoo's in Europe, having a great atmosphere about it...

If you like aquariums and are willing to cough up the dough (it's rather expensive for what it is), you can also visit Aquatopia at the end of the day, it's across the square from the main entrance.

3. markun

markun Well-Known Member

I think I'll do it, it seems easier for me to get to
    Antwerp zoo than it is to many uk zoos using public transport!

4. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

if you use the train to get to the zoo: make sure you ask for a B-daytrip destination antwerp zoo.

you get a combined ticket train/zoo at a lower rate.
    (this formula is one of the main reasons why it is such a popular day excursion with public transport.)

5. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Can you get that with eurostar though? I'll get the return to Brussels which you can use to go to any station in Belgium.

6. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

I don't think you can. as far as I know it's a national thing.
    But does the eurostar come as far as antwerp? I always thought it stopped in brussels.

if that's the case, you can easily get a ticket brussels antwerp combined with the zoo.

7. markun

markun Well-Known Member

It stops in Brussels but you can use the ticket to go to any station in Belgium.