Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Antwerp Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Penshet, 29 Jan 2020.

1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Liberec has sent 0,1 Barbary lion to Antwerp zoo. She was born 8.May 2019, parents are lion Terry (Zoo Olomouc) and lioness Shani (from Paris). She is parent-reared and her brother from the same litter still waits for any interested zoo to take him.

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Also young Barbary lioness came from Safari Dvur Kralove this week. Her name is Kira, born 10.May 2019. Father is Bart (born at Olomouc zoo) and mother Khalila (from Neuwied zoo). Her litter brother Kit stays home for now.

3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Max Blundell and JurassicMax like this.
  4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two male Congo peafowl (Afropavo congensis) have been added to the mixed African aviary at the bongo paddock side of the bird house. The species had been absent from Antwerp Zoo's collection (despite them being the studbook keeper) from 2018, and this is the first time the species is kept on show since 2014.

Now let's only hope we can go and look for them in the hopefully not too distant future...

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Now I understand why I missed this species during my visit to Antwerp (2018) despite being listed in ZTL :-(