Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Antwerp's history in photographs

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by kiang, 19 Jan 2009.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zebraduiker posted this link from a previous thread, but i thought it was too important an opportunity to miss.
    Antwerp zoo has online a rich and varied catalogues of most of the species held in the zoo.
    I have spent the past half hour looking at the photos of the marine mammals kept at the zoo including some all too rare pictures of my favourite the elephant seal, including some incredible shots of them trying to move a full grown animal out of its enclosure (really worth having a look at:)eek:)

Zoo Antwerpen

2. Yero

Yero Active Member

I take it you realize the elephant seal they are trying to move out of the enclosure is actually dead?
    Also, while the archives are interesting, be careful to deduce Antwerp's animal collection from these photos, as there are some pics of animals from other zoos - e.g. Antwerp never had belugas and as far as I know, no giant otter either.

3. kiang

My god that is amazing, never realised the animal was dead, incredible pics though, love the one of the seal with the king penguins, did they share an enclosure?

4. Yero

Yero Active Member

They did share the enclosure for a while, until the seals discovered the penguins were a nice meal.

Also, on a cold winter night, in 1963, the male elephant seal Poseidon escaped from the enclosure and "walked" around the zoo. he was found the same night, but was left alone until the next day, when his keeper lured him back to the enclosure with some fish.

Several southern elephant seals have lived in Antwerp. I have traced back 8 individuals, one of which was born in Antwerp in 1977 and was sent later to Berlin Zoo.

Other interesting marine mammals that were housed in Antwerp include the 3 sotalia dolphins, a wedell seal, baikal seals, patagonian seals, south african fur seals (until they were moved to Paradisio a couple of years ago)

5. kiang

thanks Yero

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Found a nice video-clip of the Antwerp Zoo, made in 1975 :

( esp. intresting that at least one sea turtle was kept together with the dolphins - in a ways-to-small enclosure ! ).