Join our zoo community

Any advice for animal photography for a upcoming safari trip in 2023?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Jena, 29 Sep 2022.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hi guys, so I am going to Uganda and Kenya in 2023 and the two cameras I plan on bringing with me is my PowerShot SX530 HS, and my newer camera which is a DSLR, my EOS Rebel T7 the longest lens I have for that camera is 75 mm-300mm. Now I have been practicing animal photographery at zoos for many years now with my older camera, and now recently with my newer camera. I been pretty stressed out though because of all this practicing due to me never being fully satisifed with my photos specifically on the newer camera because I am constantly worried it won't be enough or good enough for the safari trip since unlike in zoos, animals in the wild are more further away. I also don't know what other camera equipment I should bring with me to africa that can help stabilize my camera so it doesn't shake or improve the quality of my photos. Another major concern I have is because of money, my mom decided to opt for group safari instead of private safari so that alone has me worried I won't be able to take quality photos because I am worried if who ever is in the group might rush me. I also need advice on what is the best possible settings for wildlife photography. And if I should consider renting a lens longer then the one I currently have for the trip when I go on the trip (since I can't afford to actually buy it).

I know this isn't really zoo related, but it still animal related and needing to vent and just some advice on this because it has been very stressful.

2. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

My advice would be this:- Unless you know how to use your cameras functions really well, just leave it on automatic and let the camera do it's job, whilst you concentrate on the subject.

qthemusic and Lafone like this.
  3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I know how to use some of the camera functions that is the thing. I've done automatic before and the quality of the imanges were never as good as if I put it on program mode. (the imange that is my profile pic is a clear example of how I am able to do my photographery using program mode.)

4. cloudedleopard611

cloudedleopard611 Well-Known Member

I've never been on a safari but I feel like not being able to get close up on the animals could be used to your advantage. There are many great photos taken in African savanna settings that utilize the landscape and show the animals as a part of their environment. I would focus on finding ways to integrate the surroundings into the photo.
    Here are some wildlife photos on this site taken in Kenya that I think are a good example of this:
    Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3

Last edited: 30 Sep 2022
    wstefan, littleRedPanda and Lafone like this.
  5. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

First thing I’d say is don’t worry too much about it - you’ll get some fabulous pictures and even if some are throwaway so what really - the keepers will be worth it. It’s a great opportunity and you’re lucky to be going as a lot of people won’t see animals like that in the wild. Your trip isn’t about whether you get good pics really - it’s about the wow so worth thinking about that in that way maybe.

I’ve been a few times to various places and have had both a longer and a shorter lens. If you are thinking of renting then I’d rent one and try it out before hand as you might not like the weight, balance or the bother. If you do rent and have one body then think about how you change them as it can get pretty dusty / wet in some places so sometimes it’s easier to just commit to getting interesting shots with one lens for the day than fussing about.

I took a tripod which was ok for static / waterhole camp shots but not on a vehicle and slightly pointless in a way. I did take a bean bag though which is quite handy for using as a lens support on the sides of a truck or a window. You can get smallish ones that won’t kill your baggage allowance I think (I was working and flew internally when I went so it was less of an issue). That can help with stabilisation and stopping the lens getting knocked about.

Lots of memory cards and batteries - never a good idea to run out and also provides a backup. Sounds basic but more is merrier!

I don’t know anything about the settings for your camera but you could experiment with some particular settings in the zoo on animals that are a bit further away - think of hanging around your local zoos savannah paddock etc and frame your shots as if you’re at a distance and try a few things out - watching your light and thinking about where to stand.

My main piece of advice would be don’t take any gear you’re not familiar with and haven’t practised on as that’s just effort that’s not needed. So if you’re doing anything new do it at the zoo first - cheaper and more fun.

There are people here who photograph in these conditions much more often than someone like myself though so I’m sure you’ll also get good advice from them.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I've never been on a safari either, but a guy did ask me at a zoo for advice because I had a bigger lens than him. I pretty much said to him what others have posted here.
    300mm can be long enough as longer shots might be affected negatively by heat and from what i've seen, these tours get you quite close to subjects anyway, so the main problem might be keeping tour vehicles out of frame. I'd rather have some full body shots of a lion in natural landscape than close ups that could have been taken in a zoo.

Lafone likes this.
  7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wouldn't worry too much. My (only) experience with a group safari is that there was always enough respect of other group members towards photographing people that you generally only continue driving when everyone is satisfied. That can of-course be a fine line, if you stretch it too far. Your main disadvantage is that you are likely not able to get the perfect angle all the time when the vehicle stops for an animal.

Also animals on safari will in many cases be quite close to the car, my lens is also up too 300 mm, but in most cases that suffices and landscape shots.

I don't consider myself as a brilliant photographer, but the pictures below from Ol Pejeta and Samburu, Kenya, should give some indication of what is easily achieved with your equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]