Join our zoo community

Any Giant Water Buffalo Breeders In The US?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Sarus Crane, 31 Mar 2021.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just came across this video of what appears to be a breed of domesticated Asian Water Buffalo that looks very much like the wild type (Bubalus arnee) with its long horns, clear white markings, and was wondering if there are any breeders in the US that raise them. I looked up different types of domesticated buffaloes and the closest breed that I could find was the Siamese Buffalo. It looks to be at least 5.5 feet tall and 2,500 lbs! It looks like the type that Zoo Berlin, Port Lympne and Monterey Zoo in California have.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  2. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The breed that TP Berlin and Port Lympne houses is the Kerabau water buffalo (Depending on zootierliste).

Sarus Crane likes this.
  3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So is that the Philippine breed, also spelt Carabao?

4. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would make sense to me! But I don't really know much about water buffalo breeds.

5. RandomConservationist

RandomConservationist Well-Known Member

You can actually find the official directory from the American Water Buffalo Association, and if you do a little digging into their records and make a few calls you can find almost any breeder you want. We have a captive population of over ten thousand now I believe in the US with varying levels of domestication and wild traits. Most of our original herds were from Guam and Trinidad and since then there have been alot of different localities brought into the pool and it's a really interesting gene book to dive into if you have the time.