Join our zoo community

Any good walkthrough exhibits in north america

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by marmoset23, 12 Mar 2021.

1. marmoset23

marmoset23 Active Member

Does anyone know the location of any good walk-thought exhibits in na

2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kangaroos at Columbus and Cincinatti Zoos, a bunch of good Walk-through aviaries, the deer forest at Southwick's Zoo, that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

3. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

The deer forest at Southwick's Zoo is a good walkthrough exhibit if you want to see mosquitos.

Neil chace likes this.
  4. Neil chace

That whole zoo is perilous for bugs though. I haven't been to Southwick's in a number of years, but one of the things I remember about it is the prevalence of bees, especially around the dining areas.

Smaggledagle likes this.
  5. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A couple of my favorite walkthrough Australian exhibits would be Kangaroo Kickabout in Nashville with a large, grassy, hilly habitat for red kangaroos and perches for cockatoos - plus the Aussie theming and details are nice touches (and the excellent pair of cassowary exhibits nearby add to the experience); and Walkabout Creek in Racine - a lush, scenic loop with kangaroos, wallabies, emus, and I believe wallaroos.

Other unique walkthrough exhibits I've seen include:
    - White-tailed deer habitat in Kids Kingdom (Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium)
    - Red ruffed lemur habitat in Expedition Madagascar (Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium)
    - Penguin & Puffin Coast (Saint Louis Zoo)
    - The African Aviary in Flights of Fancy (Indianapolis Zoo), due to the surprise addition of hyrax

marmoset23 likes this.
  6. Neil chace

I forgot about Penguin and Puffin Coast- that's definitely a contender for the country's best Walk-through habitat, or at least the most unique. I'm also glad that there's an AZA zoo with a Lemur Walk-through, I've known this is possible, but didn't know of any AZA zoos with one of these exhibits. Personally, I'm a big fan of walkthrough habitats and would like to see them more often, when safety allows of course. Ideally I believe every zoo should have at least one walk-through or interactive Exhibit, guests seem to really respond well to these kinds of interactions with animals- whether it be birds, kangaroos, goats, or anything else.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2021
  7. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

They do have a Lemur Walk at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park with Ring Tailed Lemurs that can hop right in front of you :)

Neil chace likes this.
  8. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

One not mentioned yet is Walkabout Australia at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. The walkthrough section is the Marsupial Walkway that is separated from the rest of Walkabout Australia. There are western grey kangaroos, red necked wallabies, magpie geese, radjah shelducks. The kangaroos are more curious of the whole bunch and they have right of way even on the walkway :D

Westcoastperson likes this.