Join our zoo community

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary Any news on Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by CGSwans, 11 Jan 2011.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Going by Google Maps, Lone Pine is in a very, very flood-exposed position, on the banks of the Brisbane River and in a suburb listed as being in danger of inundation. Does anybody know whether they've been affected by the floods?

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I was just checking exactly the same thing. Their website doesn't appear to be working.

The brisbane council has put out a list of streets in Brisbane affested by flooding and several neighbouring roads are on that list including Jesamond Rd, Fig Tree Pocket Rd, Kenny, Mandalay, Ormsby, Donatello and Cubberla St.

A couple of hours ago the river was 11.5 metres round the bend at Jindalee, and it's rising. Expected to peak at 14metres later tonight.

I suspect parts of the park are currently submerged, the waters would first have moved up the swale under the bridge towards the wombat and koala enclosures.

Not good.

:(

Hix

3. CGSwans

As far as I can tell on Google Earth, the Ipswich Nature Centre *should* be ok. The Bremer River is expected to rise 20.5m, but the INC is about 30m higher than the river.

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary appears to have a highest point about 15m above the Brisbane River, so it's thankfully unlikely that the whole property will flood, but certainly parts of it will have done so.

4. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

There's some flooding at Australia Zoo at the moment also. Not sure if the Zoo is even open today. My friend couldn't get to work there from Caloundra to Beerwah today either. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad there.

Hopefully you can see these pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CGSwans

And now Halls Gap in Victoria is facing flooding. No idea whether the zoo is exposed though there are certainly a number of small watersheds through the property, so it's reasonable to assume that there is a fair bit of water about there.

Could a moderator please change the title of this thread to "Flood threatened zoos" or something similar, please?

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I wasn't sure if I should put this in this thread or in its own thread (as Werribee is rather far south of Queensland), but it is on-topic flood-wise
    Melbourne wildlife claims the high ground | Herald Sun

7. CGSwans

Thanks Chlidonias - as I said above I'd like this thread re-labelled to reflect the fact that there are quite a few zoos facing flood threats.

8. Hix

Lone Pine's website is up and running again. The only mention they make of the floods is that they are "closed until at least Monday, due to the rain".

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary - Since 1927

There is also a statement about them being one of the top ten zoos in the world, which is probably true (as they have reported), but a bit much in my opinion.

:p

Hix

9. wombat

wombat Member

I was hoping to get to Halls Gap zoo in the next couple of weeks but am wary of flooding. Gosh its such a worry when there are threats to animals in zoos, and in the wild of course, does any one know of ways to donate directly to the furry and scaley creatures due to natural disasters? Ballarat Park, although not flooded, had alot of storm dammage with a few huge trees down and a cable snapping as well as their newly erected shaded area for presentations. Thankfully no reports of any animal injuries.

10. Hix

11. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that article Hix. :)