Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Any Updates On Whats Happening With Taronga???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by thorney_devil, 12 Oct 2008.

1. thorney_devil

thorney_devil Well-Known Member

Does anybody know whats happening with:

- One-Horned Rhino's: Are we still waiting for a female or has the breeding program stalled, didn't they recently upgrade the facility at Western Plains?

- Rumours of new Langurs i would think Francois'?

- Is the Tiger breeding program going to be continued after the female was loaned to another zoo i believe Adelaide?

- Re-development of Gibbon Island, Old Seal Pools, Old Penguin Exhibit & Old Aviaries? What is in the plans to come?

- Rumours of the afrian trail re-development?

- Giraffe exhibit upgrade/renovations, may be finished last time the giraffes where off-display but due to thier size you could still catch a glimpse...

- Pygmy Hippo pregnancy can this be confirmed?

Any answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated...

2. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

About the rhino, I was at the Los angeles zoo and there is still plans for the female going to Western Plains, but the date is not set of when it'll happen. If you didn't know, the female rhino will make a brief stop at the LA zoo before she goes to Australia.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Mario,

That is good news for our Aussie friends (as the Dubbo bull is somewhat unrelated and genetically important to the SSP/world herd) and will tie a new bloodline into the SSP.

Any indication when the prospective move from Oklahoma City to LA is scheduled (and will she sit out part of her quarantaine there)?

Last edited: 12 Oct 2008
  4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jelle any spare EEP females also would be most welcome :D ;)

5. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I checked at the LA zoo today for new info, but there is still no date of when the move will happen, but I'll report it as soon as I get more info.

6. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I remember I read somewhere that Satu of Melbourne zoo ( tiger ) will meet up with the female cub of Taronga can anyone confirm this?

7. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

Satu's been in Sydney for months now, introduction of the two Tiger's is moving along. The old seal pools up top are heritage so not much can be done, options being thrown around, the old aviaries quite honestly nothing at all can be done due to OHS issues. Gibbon island vacant due to construction, Mary still alive thought so nobody worry, old seal theatre and penguins have been demolished making way for possible Gorilla extension, no news on pygmy hippo's to me, news like that tends to stay within divisions, langurs were always in plan dates unknown.

8. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks for confirming, I visited the zoo like two weeks ago but I could only see two I can't tell them apart anymore,

9. kelvin

kelvin Well-Known Member 15+ year member

are they planning on breeding satu and the female cub (i'm assuming it's jumilah) ? if i'm correct, satu's sire ramalon and jumilah's sire juara are brothers (seletan x shiva) so it would be the inbreeding of first cousins.

10. zooworker

I think we're thinking a different Satu, the one at Taronga came from Germany

11. zooworker

thats from what i've heard, i'm on a different division

12. dragon(ele)nerd

oh ok, I just remember that it said ( insert female cub name) will soon meet a male tiger named Satu, where abouts from may I ask?

13. torie

torie Well-Known Member

they have meet a number of times over the past few months. there was a bit of friction in the begining with jamilah apparently not coping with her mum moving but things settled down towards the end of the breeding season and from what I hear they are looking forward to the next time she goes on heat as they are now accuainted and getting along. but i havnt been in for a few weeks due to a broken foot so things may have changed!

14. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks for the info! hope the foot gets better soon!