Join our zoo community

Any weird mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Moebelle, 24 Apr 2012.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Cubian hutia and Somali sheep at Vienna.

2. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

Very under rated mix, had the oppurtunity to see it at San Antonio

Memphis- Wombat, agouti, three band armadillo, greater galago, striped skunk

Capron Zoo- Indian crested porcupine, flying fox, wieds marmoset, sloth, green iguana, turaco, crowned pigeon, african starlings

LCS-Bairds Tapir and Giant Tortoise

Wilds- Bactrian Camel, Pere Davids Deer, Bison, Persian Onager

Busch- Muntjac, Giant Anteater, Crowned Crane

Gulf Breeze Zoo on the panhandle of Florida had some my favorite mixes: the capybara in with the Nile hippos (before its death), barasingha deer eating with gorillas (waterbuck were as well), snow and African leopards together

Gibbonsagainstgravity likes this.
  3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Okay how about Puff Adder,Harvest Mouse and African Orb Web Spider in the Etosha House at Basel Zoo.

4. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Now that's extraordinary!

5. pinkback

pinkback Well-Known Member

Newquay Zoo has Owstons civets and Prevosts squirrel together. Also crowned lemurs living with narrow-striped mongooses.
    All these species have bred successfully.

6. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not in a breeding situation I hope!

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How about Bennetts wallaby, reindeer & llama, Barbary sheep & Persian fallow deer or Barbary sheep & waterbuck. All at West Midlands safari park. Better still Longleats mix of "big game" :- white rhino, Pere David deer, scimitar oryx & Watusi cattle, possibly Bactrian camel as well. They also have llama in the African exhibit & hippo & sea lion in half-mile lake!

8. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Knowsley Safari Park: I saw photos in the gallery with Blackbuck, Nilgai, and Bennett's Wallabies.
    Lion Country Safari: Aldabra Tortoises, Pot-Bellied Pigs, Brazilian Tapirs, Fallow Deer, Florida Brown Pelican, Llamas, Marabou Stork, Common Rheas
    Busch Gardens Tampa: Caribbean Flamingoes, Grant's Zebras, Hartmann's Mountain Zebras, Scimitar-Horned Oryx, Vulturine Guinea Fowl

9. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Toronto's oddest is probably the African Crowned Crane and Ringtail Lemur, temporary, I think, over the colder months.

Safari Niagara has random hoofstock, compiled of Nilgai, Giant Eland, Alpaca, Addax and Scimitar Horned Oryx.

Bird Kingdom has random birds of various contintents mixed in. When they had them, I spotted a Chestnut Mandibled Toucan preening a Silver Cheeked Hornbill :D

10. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is another aspect to this - there are quite a few species whose current range is only a remnant of one that once overlapped with animals that are now thought of as being from different parts of the world. Madagascar until only a few hundred years ago had Dipsochelys giant tortoises (which still live on Aldabra), and Choeropsis pigmy hippos (now strictly West African) for example. An historical perspective might make from some interesting exhibits - I would think that Giant Tortoise/Ring tailed lemur for example should probably work for one.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that aspect was the thinking behind San Diego's Elephant Odyssey

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  12. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Newquay Owston's Civets & Prevosts's Squirrels had a Tree Shrew in there at one time, and may still have. They also had Nene and Capybara together

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Though definately not as odd as other exhibits on this thread, Lowry Park has Ring-Tailed Lemurs with African waterbirds like Greater Flamingoes, Shoebill Storks, Wattled Cranes, Saddle-billed Storks, African Spoonbills, and Great White Pelicans.

14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well someone has tried this, the self-proclaimed world famous san diego zoo, to the tune of 44 million dollars in Elephant Odyssey and it is a colossal failure.

15. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

EO isn't a failure because of concept, only because of execution.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That may very well be true, but if San Diego cannot pull it off then I wonder who could?

17. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The aviary in Omaha has mute swans, wood ducks, golden pheasants, storks, flamingos, Egyptian geese, and tufted deer to name a few. It may not be a geographical arrangement but it is a beautiful, relaxing exhibit. The penguin and giraffe combination is a strange one. Years ago I remember peafowl in the Australian exhibit at Blank Park Zoo with wallabies and emus, although the peafowl may have been free-ranging.

18. cyrildacat

cyrildacat Member

Howletts Wild Animal Park, Kent

Javan Langurs, Javan Gibbons and Capybara

Pudu, Anteaters, Capybara

Eastern Guereza and Gelada

19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Whats weird about Pudu,Giant Anteater and Capybara in a mixed exhibit,as they are all South American species,admittedly not all from the same area,but you do still see those species mixed a fair bit,in fact Chester have just recently added Pudu in with the Giant Anteater,so that visitors get to see something in the enclosure!
    Now if you wnat a weird mix Meerkat and White-lipped Tamarin is a weird mix to me,and one that I have seen at Shepreth in the UK.

20. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw another wierd mix in Omaha; turkey vultures and prairie dogs and on that day there was a peahen with her chicks in the enclosure. The gaur exhibit also had prairie dogs in it.