Join our zoo community

Any weird mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Moebelle, 24 Apr 2012.

1. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The New England Aquarium has both Rockhopper Penguins and African Penguins living together.

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I once saw Beluga's and Bottlenose dolphins in the same exhibit at Mystic Aquarium. But it was several interconnected pools. Maybe some of them were cooler than others. At times they would even be in shows together. They ended this around 2000 or so, I'm too lazy to look it up. At one point the dolphins were away on a breeding loan so they had a Beluga show to placate those who came expecting a dolphin show. I remember having a fit because there were no dolphins but the show was actually quite good. I learned that Beluga's can jump to quite a height when sufficiently motivated.

3. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure if this counts,but cheetahs,dogs,and wolves at the San Diego Zoo.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not realy weird but in any case funny is the case in Mondo Verde - the Netherlands. Here a large Tropical House and an European Free-flight can be found and the 2 gems of the European avifauna - the Bee-eater and the Hoopoe can be found in the... Tropical House and several species like Red-winged starling and Crowned cranes are housed in the .... European Free-flight ;) !

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Those species are all together?

6. Shellheart

7. elefante

8. Shellheart

9. wensleydale

I think Capron Park has Reeve's Muntjac's and Red Crowned Cranes in the same exhibit. They seem to ignore each other mostly.

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any weird

Nothing odd about having Manchurian Cranes & Reeves's Muntjac together; geographically appropriate.

11. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I never knew that the Bottlenose Dolphins shared the Beluga exhibit at one point. I thought all the dolphins stayed in the indoor theater until around 2000, when they were replaced by the California Sea Lions.

12. wensleydale

Yes, they were in together. First the Beluga's went outside, then Stormy (bless his little heart) passed away from a staph infection (I believe he had a liver problem and was never really a healthy animal to begin with, he was a rescue) and Misty followed him despite their best efforts (she caught the same). They were planning to send them to another aquarium on a loan so that Stormy could be with other males and Misty could learn how to raise a calf. I actually don't like the sea lion show, I wish they had found a way to keep having dolphins.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting, thank you for informing me about this. The aquarium temporarily housed 4 Pacific White-Sided Dolphins and 7 Belugas from Shedd Aquarium in 2008-2009. I think I read in an article that this was a "glimpse into the future", as they planned to bring back dolphins in their master plan.

14. wensleydale

I hope so, and hopefully I will never whine about a Beluga Show again either. I wonder what kind they might try to obtain. My guess is Bottlenose, given that Pacific White Sided Dolphins might be hard to obtain, unless they want to go the capture route, which I think is very unlikely given the current political climate, or another aquarium gives up some or all of their dolphins.

15. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Altina Zoo has an Alpaca with their Barbary Sheep - the Alpaca keeps the foxes away. I thought it was clever that they chose a similar caramel coloured Alpaca to match the sheep! They also have Asian Water Buffalo with Ostrich and Addax with Blackbuck. (I like that combination!)

16. wensleydale

I know farmers who keep a Llama with their sheep. Supposedly a Llama will eviscerate a coyote. The mere sight of one is enough to send them away with their tails between their legs!

17. elefante

The Detroit Zoo has some strange mixed exhibits. They seem to really like fallow deer. One exhibit had white-lipped deer, fallow deer, Bactrian camels, and Mongolian wild horses, another in the South American area had guanacos. Chilean flamingos, crested screamers, rhea, and fallow deer, and a third had kudu, eland, fallow deer, and saddle-billed storks in an African savanna area.

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In artis in Amsterdam they have watusi cattle, reindeer, and bactrian camel. Seems to work nicely, however

20. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lognleat has (or did:eek:) Giraffe, Zebra, Ostrich and Llama.