Join our zoo community

Any zoos that don't wing clip/pinion waterfowl or wading birds like flamingos or cranes?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by elefante, 10 Apr 2017.

1. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just curious, does anyone know of any zoos that exhibit birds mentioned in the subject line that are not wing clipped or pinioned? I know it's very common but am curious how these types of birds exhibited if they are able to fly.

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With flamingos, there are I believe two American zoos that have them full winged- Sacramento (unsure about that one) and San Antonio. At San Antonio, it is the American flamingo flock nearest to the zoo's entrance that is full winged. They are kept in a netted enclosure, but one side (the visitors' side) is usually left uncovered, and no flamingos have ever flown out.

3. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I do not know if their wings are clipped or not, but the chilean flamingos at the Dickerson Park Zoo were in a fully enclosed aviary which could suggest their wings are not clipped.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Someone posted a while ago that Tracy Aviary (Salt Lake City) had a large enclosed aviary for flamingos. Hopefully it is larger than the one mentioned above at San Antonio Zoo, which is pitiful. If I remember correctly I think I also saw a large mixed species aviary with flamingos at the new Paris Zoo.

5. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bristol moved their flamingo flock into an enclosed aviary some years ago. The older birds are pinioned, but those which have been bred inside the aviary since then are full winged. I think the general tendency now is for most birds to be kept inside aviaries and left full winged, as this not only helps to isolate them from potential diseases carried by wild birds but also full winged birds tend to have higher fertility rates.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Edinburgh keeps their flock of Chilean flamingos in an aviary, a fairly small flock 20 odd birds, which reproduce every year.
    HWP, keep their European cranes in an aviary, so far no breeding.
    Greater flamingos are kept in an aviary at Bristol zoo.
    Chilean flamingos are in a new aviary at Dublin zoo