Join our zoo community

Any Zoos you plan on visiting next year?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 31 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also I can think of at least four other popular members on this forum on the spectrum, so if you ever feel isolated based on that know there’s more of us here than you think ;) :)

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It was tentatively announced as Rostock at Zoohistorica 2019 but I've heard nothing to firm this up since.

ShonenJake13 and TeaLovingDave like this.
  3. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

SDZ and SDSP, hopefully.

Hipporex likes this.
  4. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nothing on the website either.......

5. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Congratulations!

I unfortunately don't have any wise words of wisdom so I'll just agree with everyone else in that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. Plus if nothing else, we’ll all miss your amazing photography.

KevinB and Shirokuma like this.
  6. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

Indeed. Your photography should be on the front of a National Geographic magazine!:p

7. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I’d count as a popular member but I’m on the spectrum too as I’ve mentioned in specific threads. I have found that working through things with a good therapist really, really helped. There are still struggles and there always will be and I hope @KevinB won’t be too discouraged, we are all struggling with different aspects of things and there can be strategies and processes to help, I promise. Zoos can bring us so much pleasure but also stress, anxiety, sensory overload and more. But please don’t lose sight of the positives.

ShonenJake13, KevinB and MRJ like this.
  8. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

During January 2020 my wife and I will be taking a Caribbean Cruise with stops in Colombia and Dominican Republic. At Cartagena, Columbia we will visit the small Oasis Nature Park at the cruise ship docks and visit the nearby National Aviary. At Santa Marta we will visit the Aquario Marino. In the Dominican Republic we stop at Santo Domingo and will visit both Domzoo and the National Aquarium.

Neva, ThylacineAlive and Hipporex like this.
  9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

On the subject of zoos I got Artis membership for Christmas and I’ll be in the Netherlands a lot so I’ll be going to more Dutch zoos and some Belgian ones too. On the other hand I might be actually living in northern Sweden so my non-Dutch zoo visiting will probably be limited.

10. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A odd little story, this morning I woke up with the tragic news of the fire at Krefeld Zoo, which is located just across the boarder of the Netherlands. My dad also picked up on this news and got interested in what the zoo was about and stuff and decided we may give it a visit this weekend.
    So possibly my first zoo visit of the year will be to Zoo Krefeld. A first time visit for me, however not one with all bright thoughts due to the fire that occured.

Shirokuma likes this.
  11. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In addition to the above plans, some plans for various other UK spots are coming to light - Crocodiles of the World and Twycross are both being done over the next week. I received a WWT membership this Christmas so I am hoping to visit each of the WWT centres across the UK this year!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  12. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kevin you shouldn't ban yourself from zoos for life for such a minor incident. Those people shouldn't have been so rude and their kids better mannered.

13. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's not anything to make a fuss about.

14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am happy to hear that I am not alone. I'm trying to not be discouraged and to think of the positive experiences I've had at zoos (even at Antwerp, even last Monday) and about why I love animals, zoos and photography. Right now I'm still feeling tired and a little down about what happened, but I am also beginning to think of ways to move on from this and to deal better with the things I struggle with. There's not fixing what is wrong with me, but I can hopefully learn to manage things better. For the moment I'm trying to regain some energy and once I do I am going to try and work on some recent zoo pictures as well as on some solutions.

I'm not going to ban myself from zoos, although it seems likely at this point I probably won't be going again for a while. I need to work on some things and need to learn to not get upset as easily over disrespectful people, as I will meet them again.

Right now I am not going to make any zoo plans for 2020 as I don't know how things will develop from here, and if the opportunity were to present itself for the first visit of the new year, I am not sure whether I should or would take it. However I will at some point be going to a zoo again, hopefully somewhere in the coming months.

All I want to say right now is that zoos that are on my wish list are, besides Antwerp and Planckendael, Burgers' Zoo, Avifauna, Blijdorp, Duisburg and Zie-Zoo. Gelsenkirchen, Wüppertal and Pairi Daiza are others that I am willing to visit again sometime. But we will have to see what will work out this year and at the moment that is all very uncertain.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2020
    Neva, Hammy, Shirokuma and 3 others like this.
  15. LiSom

LiSom Well-Known Member

I don't know yet if I will travel this year and where but if I can one of the places I have been looking forward to go for a long time is Berlin so in that case Berlin Zoo and Tierpark are on my list ;)
    I also would like to travel to the UK, I went a few months ago to visit London Zoo and I also was in Liverpool but didn't have time to visit Chester Zoo so I feel like I must go back just for that

Of course there are plenty of zoos in my list but not that much money in my pocket haha

16. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Apart from my usual, numerous visits to London Zoo, now I have Twycross membership I hope to visit some of the reciprocal zoos in the coming year, especially Paignton, Living Coasts, Bristol and maybe, finally, even a first ever visit to Chester!

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And my plans have already changed, I shall be heading to Exmoor sooner rather than later... :p

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My plans for 2020

I will no doubt visit at least 30 UK zoos I have visited before. I have almost run out of zoos within a 3 hour radius so very few can be done in a day trip now.

Definitely planned

Axe Valley (plus Monkeyworld for my girlfriend)

Prague plus another with my daughter (possibly Vienna if we go for long enough, otherwise Plsen)

Parc de Felins with friends ( plus the monkey place nearby)

Hopefully a few days either in Lake District or Scotland to go to New collections (only been to Edinburgh)

Other new places - West Midlands Safari Park, Hoo Farm, Jimmy's Farm, Noah's Ark, All things wild

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
    Neva, ShonenJake13 and Brum like this.
  19. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No ambitious plans for me. I'm hoping I'll get a decent job soon, then I can pay off my debts and take a trip to Dallas. I want to see the Dallas Zoo, the Fort Worth Zoo, and the Dallas World Aquarium. If I don't make it to that, well, I'll at least be able to get to Houston and finally see the new Texas wetlands exhibit, and the revamped Moody Garden aquarium pyramid in Galveston. (every time I try to go something comes up!) I wish I knew when the Pantanal exhibit at the Houston Zoo opens so I could wait until then to make my visit.

20. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

I probably won't do much traveling for zoos specifically because I have students loans to pay off and Masters programs :') I'll at least be visiting the Dallas World Aquarium, and I'm planning on visiting Memphis while I'm there for work in March. Toronto, Woodland Park, Bronx, Sacramento, and San Antonio are all possibilities while I'm visiting potential Masters programs, though I don't count on most of them happening. And a friend wants to visit Henry Doorly, Potawatomi, Indianapolis, and Henry Vilas this year but again most of those probably won't happen.