Join our zoo community

Any Zoos you plan on visiting next year?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 31 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will certainly be revising lots of zoos. My annual lineup includes NEW, Special Memories, Milwaukee, and Henry Vilas. I will probably revisit some others as well.

I am trying to visit every zoo in my home state, so I will hopefully get to several new ones in 2019.

2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for a few big trips in 2019 - only the first has been developed at all, spending time in several African countries early in the year. :)

3. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me I am gonna try to add Henry Villas Zoo, Indianapolis Zoo, and Minnesota Zoo to my list

birdsandbats likes this.
  4. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

At the moment, I expect 2019 to be a slower zoo year for me. After vising 26 collections last year (19 for the first time), and 46 collections (30 for the first time) in the last 15 months, things have to slow down at some point.
    I hope to do a few smaller trips this year visiting a few zoos in Canada that I have yet to attend along with some smaller zoos in nearby states such as Michigan, Ohio and New York or maybe heading out into the New England region. This is also dependent on the exchange rate for the Canadian dollar.

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

You’re missing one! There are actually five zoos in New York City, in addition to the aquarium: Bronx, Central Park, Prospect Park, Queens, and Staten Island. What a city!

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Yi Qi I hate to burst your bubble, but about half of the facilities you list are rather well known. Marineland alone brings in WELL over a million guests a year, and combined Marineland and Bird Kingdom are two of Niagara Falls largest tourist attracts, outside of the falls themselves ;)

Regardless, my goals are fairly similar to YiQi's. I hope to knock out several smaller facilities in Ontario this year, and pop my French cherry and visit a couple of different facilities in Quebec (notably Zoo de Granby, Parc Safari, and the biodome). It's not a for sure, but if everything goes my way I might be visiting a few facilities located in northern Florida, but that's a bit more up in the air.

7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have no idea where I'll eventually end up - my trip to Texas last year was only planned about 2 weeks before, and my Omaha trip was planned a month before (and only happened because of airline vouchers from one of my Texas flights being cancelled). For someone who's a major planner, my big trips tend to be rather short notice :)

I am planning on ZooAmerica and Lehigh Valley Zoo on the 9th (Adventure Aquarium if it rains), then Bronx Zoo the following weekend. My realistic goals this year are Queens, Prospect Park, Staten Island, and NY Aquarium, Turtle Back and Bergen County, and Virginia Zoo, Virginia Aquarium, and Virginia Living Museum.

I'm hoping to go up to RI and maybe Boston with stops at the Connecticut zoos and aquariums. If my old dog passes away this year (likely), my mom and I are hoping to do a driving trip to the zoos in southern Ohio, Indianapolis, and maybe St Louis, depending on how much time she can get off work.

8. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll certainly be going to the Gladys Porter Zoo, haven't been there since I was a kid!

I'm gonna try to get to the Dallas/Fort Worth area sometime in the spring. If I get there, I want to go to the Dallas Zoo, the Forth Worth Zoo, AND the Dallas World Aquarium.

There's a chance I'll be going to NYC or Florida in the spring. If time permits, I'll try to go to a zoo or aquarium. But those trips aren't set in stone, I'll figure out details if I end up going.

I'm hoping that in the summer or fall I'll get a job that pays real money and has vacation time... If that happens, I can finally plan that trip to California! If that happens, I'll get to a zoo or aquarium. But that's just a dream... For now.

TinoPup likes this.
  9. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes I should have said the 4 WCS Zoos. We have looked at Staten Island Zoo but aren't sure if we're gonna have time to visit. Hopefully we can add that too :).

10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A very quiet year coming up for me. These things come in cycles for us Antipodeans. Ask me again a year from now.

11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I was trying to say zoological facilities less often visited and photographed by us.

Hyak_II likes this.
  12. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Having just been to Chicago I can give you some advice about the zoos and other attractions in Chicago. Have you seen a Pangolin yet?

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, but it's not likely to be until September unless I can pull a small miracle and make it over in April when my other mate is heading out. I'll PM you closer to the time though; :)

Nope, that's something I'm hoping to achieve though! ;)

TZDugong likes this.
  14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd prioritize the Staten Island Zoo over Queens to be honest. Don't get me wrong Queens is a very nice little zoo, but it's extremely small and I doubt they have anything on-exhibit that you won't have seen yet except maybe Argentine Ruddy Duck? I don't know if it's still there, though. They have a couple oddities bts like New England Cottontail and Wyoming Toad but obviously you won't see those. Meanwhile Staten Island surprised me by how good it was when I went in 2017. It's much larger, has a better diversified collection, and has a fantastic reptile wing with mostly venomous species. I need to revisit at some point to see how the new aquarium turned out.

~Thylo

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also I think it probably goes without saying that I'll be at Bronx like four times over the course of the year as per usual. I'll probably revisit Beardsley at some point in the spring as well, maybe Philadelphia, too.

~Thylo

16. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great thanks for the info. I did just check out the gallery for Staten Island Zoo to see what animals they hold, and noticed your photos were the last uploaded to the thread.

17. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah gotcha :p

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've no definite plans for this year yet, but after smashing my previous record with 100 visits to 48 zoos (only Duisburg & Cologne outside England) and 18 new ones in 2018, if I beat that I'll be very happy!

Friends kindly bought me a ticket to the open day at the Big Cat Sanctuary in Kent (never been) , I also hope to go to Heythrop.

The two zoos I've always wanted to visit in the UK are Highland Wildlife Park and Exmoor. I think the latter will be achieved , but HWP may depend on how much of the next list I achieve
    I will make at least one European trip for 2-3 days, my possible list includes :
    Antwerp /Pairi Daiza /Plankendal
    Burgers /Rotterdam/Rhenen
    Prague /Plsen
    Wroclaw plus ?
    Leipzig /Magdeburg
    Frankfurt /Opel (only for brown hyaena )
    Dortmund /Wuppertal

Neva likes this.
  19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It's basically just a big lizardy-looking thing. Once you've seen one you'll just yawn and say "is that what all the fuss was about? Boring." :p

TZDugong, jayjds2 and Brum like this.
  20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know some about the Chicago zoos as well and would also be happy to provide advice. :)

Brum likes this.