Join our zoo community

Any Zoos you plan on visiting next year?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 31 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well I'm pretty sure I can make that work as well. ZooChat comes to Birmingham 2019! :p

Crowthorne likes this.
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Or visit both, as I shall be doing ;)

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

TLD in sunshine? Oh my God!!!! :D :p

No getting tipsy in the heat... ;) :p

4. TeaLovingDave

Well, avoiding the heat is why I'm going in February ;)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I set a goal of visiting 10 different zoos this year, and will kick it off with Burger's Zoo as soon as the manatee calf is born, as it's my local zoo I intend to visit it twice this year. Asap as the calf is born and during nov/dec to see how the calf has grown and to catch-up with all their new additions.

Other Dutch zoos I am aiming for:
    - Zie-Zoo
    - Rotterdam
    - Artis
    - Oliemeulen
    - Overloon
    - Amersfoort
    - Ouwehands
    - Gaia Zoo

There are some plans on the table involving a week-long trip to Southhampton (England), so I may try and get to Marwell Zoo while I'm there, and IF possible I want to visit London (mainly for the Potto and the historical influence of the zoo).
    I may try and visit some zoos just over the border of the Netherlands, so Belgium and Germany. Main zoos of interest; Krefeld (mountain anoa, obvious) and Antwerpen. I haven't looked much further yet. One zoo I don't intend to visit is Duisburg, as I went there last summer, so luckily I can check Baby off my ''must-see'' list. But if I get the chance to return, I may, cause how many chances would I get to see a river dolphin again in my life.

Neva and FunkyGibbon like this.
  6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It seems the time of day to see them varies, though. I personally saw them easily in the morning but never again the rest of the day, while others see them more later in the afternoon.

For anyone looking to see the European Mink, on my visit they were let out about an hour after opening.

~Thylo

Neva likes this.
  7. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Great :)
    That's where I am now ;)

Crowthorne likes this.
  8. ThylacineAlive

I'm more jealous about where you're going next ;)

~Thylo

devilfish and FunkyGibbon like this.
  9. TeaLovingDave

I just run on the basis that wherever @devilfish goes, it is liable to be somewhere that makes me jealous and thus it isn't worth worrying about :p

10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Oh exciting, which places are you planning on visiting? In a way this takes the pressure off me, you'll do a much better job of reviewing things than I would! Also jealous that you're actually there!

My hypothetical list for the area is:
    Mitchell Park Zoo
    Umgeni River Bird Park
    uShaka Marine World
    Durban Botanical Gardens
    Durban Museum (for the dodo skeleton)

Last edited: 14 Feb 2019
    devilfish likes this.
  11. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately, the one cultural attraction Boston lacks is a really good zoo. They've improved the Franklin Park Zoo but in my opinion if you're a zoo buff it's worth a trip if you're there but not a special trip to see it. The Stone Zoo is not much; again, if you're in the area stop by but not worth a trip.

Anyone who plans to visit the Detroit Zoo, let me know, especially if you do not have a zoo membership that gives you a discount. I have an Individual Plus membership, one guest per visit, and I'd be happy if times mesh to take you in and show you around.

12. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I make an annual trip to Toledo, Ohio...zoo, brewpub, and Mud Hens game, so I'll be seeing that zoo. I live within walking distance of the Detroit Zoo so I'm there all the time and sometimes on nice days in the summer I'll bring a book, stroll around a bit, find a nice bench, and read for a while.

The Society for American Baseball Research convention is in San Diego and if I can swing it I'll stay over to see the zoo. Last time I opened the place at nine and they had to throw me out at five p.m.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  13. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Enjoying a good book in a zoo you are familiar enough with to not worry about seeing everything is one of life's great pleasures.

14. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have refrained from posting in this thread up until this point because I did not know where exactly my life would take me this year; however, now that plans have settled, I can say that I plan on doing a Tour de California, of sorts. As it stands, I plan on visiting Safari West, Sacramento, San Francisco, Oakland, Fresno Chaffee, Los Angeles, and the San Diego parks. I also plan on hitting a few on my way across the country, specifically Henry Doorly and Denver and perhaps St. Louis and Kansas City, depending on time. I will be visiting my usuals of Cincinnati and Columbus, as well, of course.

15. ThylacineAlive

I'd very much disagree. As I posted on the first page of this thread, the two zoos are home to quite a few rarities not often seen in US zoos (the list I gave are species which I assumed might be lifers for @Kakapo specifically, but the zoos are also home to unusual species such as Potto, Bush Dog, and Central American Agouti). While FPZ doesn't really have much outstanding in terms of exhibitry, Stone has a very unique Jaguar enclosure and their Himalayan and Mexican Wolf exhibits are pretty amazing. I'd definitely recommend both zoos.

~Thylo

16. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

Thank you for the tips :). Ya, I know these cats' tricks depending on a zoo (e.g. Pallas's cat in Zoo Wrocław is like 'hi, I'm here, a fluffy cat you always wanted to see' and in Kraków 'hehe, you'll never see me!').
    It's really helpful. Lisbon Zoo entice me also with their interesting species but iberian lynxes -are and will- be a priority. I was also wondering about conditions to observing and photograph, where are better or worse, so this year I will become sensibilized on the spanish/portugal topics :p.

@FunkyGibbon agree totally with a book, however I prefer sit near cats and write one! (...or ten briefs)

17. ThylacineAlive

@Neva I haven't seen Lisbon's lynx enclosure but Madrid's is excellent for photographs as long as the cats aren't hiding. There are multiple viewing areas from multiple angles and all are either mesh or glass viewing. The enclosure also is very naturalistic but not too dense up by the viewing windows.

~Thylo

Neva likes this.
  18. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

@ThylacineAlive, I feel convinced now ;) Definitely want to see this enclosure!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

It's probably the best in the whole zoo.

~Thylo

Neva likes this.
  20. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very late to this thread, as it's this year now haha

I have at least three trips planned for the coming months.

LOW COUNTRIES TOUR - April 2019

This shall be done together with @MagpieGoose, @Nisha and another friend of ours who isn't present on Zoochat. The following zoos will be done over an 11 day itinerary:

- DAY 1: Travel to Eindhoven, Antwerp Zoo on the way
    - DAY 2: BestZOO, Zie-ZOO (likely with @Mr. Zootycoon)
    - DAY 3: Beekse Bergen
    - DAY 4: Travel to Arnhem, Duisburg Zoo and Krefeld Zoo on the way
    - DAY 5: Burgers' Zoo
    - DAY 6: Apenheul
    - DAY 7: Travel to Amsterdam, Uilen- en Dierenpark De Paay and Ouwehands Dierenpark on the way
    - DAY 8: Dolfinarium, Artis (with a quick pit stop at AAP enroute between the two)
    - DAY 9: Blijdorp
    - DAY 10: REST DAY
    - DAY 11: Travel home, Pairi Daiza on the way (possibly meeting @Vision whilst we are there)

Otherwise I have two trips planned in May, a long weekend in Jersey with family (of course visiting Jersey Zoo), and a tentative trip to Berlin planned with @devilfish (so Berlin Zoo and Berlin Tierpark)

Apart from that I don't see myself getting anywhere outside of the UK until after the summer....at which point I at the very least have a second trip to Pairi Daiza currently being discussed...

It should also be noted that out of all of those the only new collections for me will be Best, Zie, De Paay and Jersey :)