Join our zoo community

Any Zoos you plan on visiting next year?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 31 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I recently found out I'll be visited Disney's Animal Kingdom in October.

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'll be visiting Zoo de Granby (third time) and the Quebec Aquarium (first time) during late July.

Pier-Luc Chouinard and Hipporex like this.
  3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They said there's a lot of renovation work being done on their behind the scenes area so it wouldn't be possible.

4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unfortunately I'm going to have to take a major raincheck on my zoo plans for this summer.

This morning I injured my right middle finger in a very stupid accident and as a result it is now in a splint because I tore the extensor tendon (mallet finger is the medical term). I will need to go to a follow-up appointment to see whether surgery will be necessary or whether it will heal by itself.

Unfortunately with the splint I will not be able to operate my camera and as such will not be able to visit zoos as I don't want to do so without my camera (apart from, maybe, my two local zoos). Even without surgery it will likely take several weeks, with surgery I assume it will be months - in which case I will loose the entire remainder of the 2019 zoo season.

So at the moment is is highly uncertain what will happen with zoo visits in the future. There will be none for at least a few weeks, maybe longer.

I am not sure what I'm going to do with my gallery activities. I can manage using my computer, but with far less dexterity and speed than usual, so I'm not sure editing and posting photos will be doable.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Ah yes, it's been going on for some time - so in a way, the fact it's reached a point where the work prevents any access is a positive, as it means things are progressing well :) the majority of the bird oddities have been moved on-display, for what it is worth - if you send me a PM with your mammal priorities I'll be able to tell you whether they are onshow or not to the best of my knowledge!

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just visited Columbus Zoo, The Wilds, and Toledo Zoo for the the first time. I loved all three.

Hipporex and TZDugong like this.
  7. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've just completed booking and planning a trip to Europe for the first time that will definitely include (as far as zoos are concerned): London, both Berlins, Leipzig, Prague, and Plzen. I'll also be visiting the cities of Paris, Amsterdam, and Brussels, but am unsure if I'm going to have time to add on any zoos in those cities.

Hipporex and Neva like this.
  8. TeaLovingDave

You'd need a time machine to add on a zoo in the latter city :p

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Planckendal (or whatever it is spell like) is near Brussels right?

10. TeaLovingDave

It's not far - about equidistant between Brussels and Antwerp - but neither is it in Brussels per se :)

11. aardvark250

I will step foot on Singapore tomorrow and I will visit all 4 wrs collection in the following few days.

Hipporex likes this.
  12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

As well as SEA I hope!

13. aardvark250

Nope.:( My family need to go to other places so there is no time for SEA.

14. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

That's a pity, will you be visiting Sentosa Island at all?

15. aardvark250

Yes. My family want to go to Adventure Cove(which is next to SEA and hold some fish indeed)and to play the luge. Tbh, I visit SEA back when I was a child and I am not really a fond of it.

16. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

I've just bet my year-record with 15 unique zoos visited till now! And another zoos are going on my way soon!
    Maybe it won't be Hamerton, but still amazing places like Berlin, Plzen, Prague, Hluboka or Magdeburg.
    I feel really over the moon and I'm most satisfied with meeting fascinating Asian golden cats at Heidelberg and Munster.

@KevinB I'm very sorry for your accident. I remember all my broken toe-fingers and wrists and it was a hard time for someone who didn't like to be in one place and hates to go somewhere without a camera. However especially when broken wrist I managed some small trips with my camera. Fingers crossed for future trips - if not 2019, then 2020 zoo season :).

17. KevinB

I have since had another appointment with another doctor and I now know I'll have my finger in the splint for six week (until August 11th). I have since tried to see if I can use the camera at all with this splint and while it is not impossible, I have some questions regarding safety and I'm fairly certainly I will not be able to manage my usual number of photos taken nor my usual skill level with this splint.

I have decided I'm not going to go without zoos for most of the summer, however, I am going to postpone some trips and limit myself to my local zoos (Antwerpen and Planckendael) for the time being, with the exception of a possible visit to GaiaZoo as I have visited that zoo 18 times already and am pretty excited about the new flamingo aviary there.

I do have planned visits to Safaripark Beekse Bergen in September and to Pairi Daiza in October (two-day visit). Apart from that my current thought is that I want to try to also visit Burgers' Zoo, Blijdorp and maybe Olmen/Pakawi Park in late summer and fall.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Jul 2019
    snowleopard and ThylacineAlive like this.
  18. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm going to Nuremberg in a couple of weeks and will of course visit the zoo there. I don't have plans for other zoo visits as there are actually surprisingly few zoos in that area, and most of them seem to be a pain to visit with public transport. I won't be there on a Saturday or Sunday, so I suppose Freiland-Terrarium and Aquarium Toxotes aren't a possibility.

19. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I'm not sure how things work in your healthcare system but in the UK I'd have advised you to discuss this with your hand therapy team at the next appointment - they might be able to facilitate certain movements, although this depends on the exact injury and procedure. I'm sure you've been told plenty of times already, but I would urge you not to move your finger without the splint on, despite temptation.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Jul 2019
  20. KevinB

Unless there are any issues or the injury doesn't sufficiently heal, I won't be having another appointment actually. And there was not really any time to discuss this at the Friday appointment.

As far as movement goes, the injury - the ripped extensor tendon - occurred at the distal phalanx so the splint immobilizes the distal interphalangeal joint, which I cannot move at all or I risk again damaging the scar tissue that will grow to replace the attachment of the tendon. I can however still move my right middle finger at the knuckle and the proximal interphalangeal joint. But because of the splint that finger is mostly useless anyway at the moment and I just keep it out of the way while I use the other fingers to try and manage tasks.

I am definitely not going to move the finger without the splint, in fact I take the splint off as little as possible and only for a very short time. When I talked about using my camera I was talking about being able to use it while keeping the splinted finger out of the way and pretty much not using it.

Given that is not exactly the topic to talk about injuries this is the last I'm probably going to say about it, at least for the time being.

devilfish likes this.