Join our zoo community

Anybody know where I can find a solenodon, glass frog, bilby, blue-footed booby?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by urbangeek, 24 Apr 2013.

1. urbangeek

urbangeek New Member

Looking for these animals in US zoos so that I can film them for an educational show. Having a tough time finding them...

Thanks!

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

You won't find them in zoos. Go forth into the wild.

3. condor

condor Well-Known Member

"glass frog" covers an entire family with hundreds of species and a few of these are in US zoos, incl. Atlanta Zoo, Atlanta Botanical Gardens, Henry Vilas, Smithsonian National, Houston, Miami Metro and more. However, many of these frogs are kept backstage as part of breeding programmes. For the remaining species on your list, the answer by jbnbsn99 covers the situation in US zoos. Bilbys are hard to see in the wild but kept in several zoos in Australia, blue-footed boobies aren't generally kept in zoos anywhere but very easy to see in the wild, and I believe solenodons only are kept at the National Zoo in the Dominican Republic (if they're still there) and very hard to see in the wild.

4. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Smithsonian has glass frogs. They used to all be in the back, but recently 2 were put on public display.

5. urbangeek

urbangeek New Member

Thanks jbnbsn99, condor, and Shenandoah!

Yes, ultimately we would love to film them in their natural environment. That would be amazing. Unfortunately, we don't have the budget ... and as you mentioned, we may not even find them.

I'll check out some of your suggestions.

Cheers!

6. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Manchester Museum here in the UK did work with glass frogs I think they chap in charge is a world expert if he is still there.

7. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Santo Domingo zoo currently keeps a solenodon. It's the nearest location to NY.