Join our zoo community

Anyone got tips for international travel?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TheMightyOrca, 17 Jun 2018.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm leaving the country for the first time in a week, and I know a lot of people here do a lot of travel so I bet I can get some good travel tips here!

I'm gonna be in Barcelona for five days, then I'll head off to Ciutadella, Menorca for archaeology field school. I'm gonna get some days off at field school so I'll have a little time to explore Menorca, or I could take a boat to Majorca as well. I hope to go to Majorca cause they have whale watching tours.

For those of you who have been to Barcelona or Menorca or Majorca, what are some good places to go to? Any tips on how to dress? I'll be in Barcelona the last week of June and Menorca for a few weeks in July.

I've never been on a flight longer than two hours. Anything I should know? Should I get compression socks?

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You don’t need compression socks unless you have a medical condition (including obesity) affecting blood pressure or circulation. Get up every hour or two and you’ll be fine.

How you dress is entirely dependent on what you want to do. If you’re likely to be hitting bars to meet attractive young Barcelonans (or boozed up Brits) then dress as you would for a night out at home. If you’re just wanting to see the sights dress in whatever makes you feel comfortable.

3. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Barcelona is hot this time of year. It is a very cosmopolitan city. yOU MUST SEE THE ZOO, it very accesible, a nice urban zoo with various species you will not see in the US. Do not go on sundays,it is very crowded. arrive early at the zoo to see the animals more active. The aquarium is ok.if you have time to spare,but you have seen better ones in the US. The sagrada famila church and the guidi park are also nice.Enjoy the gothic guarter,too. you will eat well, there are many nice restaurants.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  4. TheMightyOrca

My hostel is in the gothic quarter, I'm looking forward to that. And it's a five minute walk from the aquarium, ha ha. I'm totally gonna do that, Texas doesn't have a lot of aquariums, (EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE A HUGE COASTLINE WHAT THE HELL IT'S NOT FAIR) plus aquariums tend to be more region-focused than zoos are. It sounds like that's the case with this one, website says it has a lot of Mediterranean focused exhibits.

My mom actually asked me to visit the Sagarda Familia church to get her something. It looks cool too so it's on my list. I'm also gonna visit the Barcelona Cathedral! I'll have to look into Guidi park, thanks for the suggestion.

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Read George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" on the plane over. This will give you some background into Spanish history and the current political situation in Catalonia.

6. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Barcelona is a great city, you’ll have no shortage of things to do.

The Zoo and Aquarium are a given, I never made it to the zoo, but the Aquarium was quite nice. Sagrada Familia should also be a must, it’s unique and brilliant. Gaudy Park is nice, but I’d also recommend Casa Baillto, another Gaudi creation. Another great thing to do is just walk around the Gothic Quarter and Las Ramblas, soaking in the atmosphere.

7. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Barcelona is possibly the most un-undiscovered city in Europe, so you will not have any problem at all following a tourist trail. The downside of this is that the city can feel overwhelmed by tourists - to the occasional chagrin of the local residents. As always, sensitivity and politeness will take you a long way.

Whilst it is important not to overstate the problem, Las Ramblas in particular is notorious for petty crime, with young naive tourists being an easy target. When you are there (and elsewhere) just keep your wits about you, don't wave valuables about, and you should be fine.

And, of course, both the zoo and the aquarium are far more interesting and worth seeing than any architecture or art....

8. TheMightyOrca

Yeah, I hear the pickpockets are bad in Europe, I'm nervous about that. I'm pretty paranoid about my stuff already so hopefully I'll be fine, will a closely held zippered purse be good? I also have a neck pouch I'm gonna keep my passport in, under my clothes. Maybe I'll keep my phone in there as well.

What should I do if I do get pickpocketed? Like, what contact information should I make sure to have if my debit card or passport get stolen?

9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

No, they're not, and you've nothing to be nervous about - just, as in any crowded area, be careful. Crime is really not a significant concern in Europe, so long as you are aware fo your situation: tourist hotspots anywhere will attract people who wish to exploit a circumstance.

Just the usual stuff! You're heading to Spain, not the Central African Republic - it's really no different to what would happen if you were unfortunate enough to be mugged in Texas. With the benefit that any crime in Europe is far less likely to involve firearms.

10. TZDugong

Don’t be scared off of walking in Barcelona due to pickpockets. As long as you’re smart and keep your wits about you you’ll be fine. I didn’t really find crime prevelant in Europe, it’s no worse than in the USA.

CGSwans and TheMightyOrca like this.
  11. TheMightyOrca

Lol. Yeah, the latest big shooting happened in my area and has me a little on edge. Just a little. I know that statistically it probably won't happen to you but it's scary when it happens so close. Thanks for assuaging my fears about pickpockets, I'll just keep my important stuff in the zipper pocket inside my zipper purse, to be super duper safe. I'm careful about my stuff anyway. I'm so glad my field school is right by the beach, so I'll get to swim and snorkel without having to worry about my stuff there too, ha ha. I'm always paranoid about that on the beach.

Any particular foods I should try?

I hope I meet some cool people in the hostel. Hostels are fun! Also hope I see some cetaceans. I'll be in Barcelona Monday through Friday so I'm hoping that means I'll avoid the worst of the crowds.

12. TZDugong

I would recommend Paella, Spain's national dish.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  13. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Catalans are very nic e people in general. Any problem you have consult the Us consulate.
    At the zoo see the wisent,forest buffalo, dorcas gazelle,talapoin, spot nosed guenon,iberian wolf, libyan auodad,drills among others. Not certain If it opens monday. Climb the mountjuic hill there for nice Photos and the reptile house and bird house is also nice.
    Paella, gazpacho, jamón Serrano, and tapas de mariscos you will try . Tortilla española is not mexican Corn tortillas by the way. Dinner is late in Barça. Taxis are not expensive.
    There are various places to hear flamenco músic at night. Ask for prices.
    I a m certain you will have a good visit in Barcelona.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2018
  14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The neck pouch things look silly and are really not necessary, to be honest.

Buy a small carry bag with a large, heavy duty strap that you can wear across your body, like a sash - that means nobody can bump you and have it slide off your arm like they could if you wore it on one shoulder. Wear the bag so that it sits in front of your hip on your non-dominant side and keep your passport, phone and wallet inside. If you’re very concerned keep them in an inside pocket of the bag.

Do that and you’ve made yourself much too much trouble to bother with.

sooty mangabey and TheMightyOrca like this.
  15. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe you could visit the Barcelona 1992 Summer Olympic Venues? I'm no expert, but this is just some thinking.