Join our zoo community

Apenheul Primate Park Apenheul Primate Park News

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by UntBwe, 9 Jan 2009.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2 Gorilla's - Tayari and Iriki ( both born 2011 at Apenheul ) - will be send to Taipei Zoo ( Taiwan ) in November.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1 plus year on and it seems I have been vindicated here. Taipeh Zoo will end up having a breeding group of 1.2 by year's ending. Not smirking mind ... just happy.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A cherry-crowned mangabey (Cercocebus torquatus) was born at Apenheul recently according to a post on the monkey zoo's Facebook page.

Apenheul

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just saw a picture in the gallery of a Guianan saki at Apenheul back in 2014. Is it a Pithecia chrysocephala or just a tanned White-faced saki?

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a lot of colour saturation in that picture, which makes it more yellow, but morphologically it could be (partly) chrysocephala. This split is however based on a 2014 paper, part of whose splits have since been shown to be invalid as only morphology was taken into account using a strict PSC approach (see: Reconsidering the taxonomy of the Pithecia irrorata species group (Primates: Pitheciidae) ). So even though this split is recognized on IUCN, I would be very careful with it, as they only use this flawed paper.

6. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting, thank you

7. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I read the info but I don't know if this link was shared:

Apenheul ontwikkelt

You will find all the info on the future space that will open in 2020 as well as videos.

8. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

KevinB likes this.
  10. vogelcommando

11. lintworm

Apenheul is opening again on May 18th, but with restrictions such as online ticketing. Several areas where no distance between primates and visitors can be guaranteed remain closed: Squirrel Monkey forest, Barbary Macaques, S-American raised walkway (these areas are however still visible from outside). This means some walkthrough areas where visitors and primates can more easily keep their distance (Madagascar walkthrough and some smaller S-American monkeys) will be open. They mention that due to restrictions the Bearded Saki, Blue-eyed Black Lemurs, Sloths and Owl Monkeys will not be visible.

Other news, last week a Red Howler Monkey was born (hopefully a female this time).

12. lintworm

Some updates from a visit last week, which despite measurements to limit visitor numbers still felt like a very crowded visit. In the entrance area and many other places it was well organized, but the limits of having 1 main walking route, which often doubles as the place to watch animals just doesn't work very well if one is supposed to keep 1.5 meters distance. Definitely less well organized than in Burgers' Zoo. What is interesting is that ordering at restaurants now takes place with an app, through which one also can reserve a seat for the Gorilla presentation, so commented feedings can continue with the right measures in place. This is made easier as they have a large stand which allows a large number of visitors, while keeping distance between families.

There has been some moving around of primate species. The two new islands on the location where the Woolly Monkey used to live are now home to Black Howler Monkeys and White-faced Capuchin. The former White-faced Capuchin enclosure has been expanded with the former Mangabey enclosure and now houses the Golden-breasted Capuchins. The Red-capped Mangabey are back at the former Proboscis Monkey island, with no sign of the Talapoin Monkeys anymore. The Woolly Monkeys now live on the former Black Howler island and I can only assume that the Bearded Saki have moved to the former Golden-breasted Capuchin island, which is currently inaccessible.

The new S-American walkthrough features White-faced Saki (2nd group), Silvery Marmoset and Coppery Titi, as well as Red-footed Tortoise, and is very attractively done, with also a good indoor housing with public viewing. The Saki were still afraid to go outdoors, the others weren't bothered. The Golden Lion Tamarin are now in the Red Howler walkthrough (where the Titi formerly lived) together with the howlers, Emperor Bearded Tamarin and Goeldi's Monkey. I saw no sign of the Pygmy Marmosets or the Mantled Tamarin anymore, but presumably at least one of these 2 species still lives in the small enclosure next to the gorilla house, which was also inaccessible during my visit.

Contrary to earlier statements the on-show pair of Blue-eyed Black Lemurs is visible even under covid-19 restrictions.

13. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe the zoo do still have the talapoins. I think they went out of pygmy marmoset last year.
    Before the end of last season, they were down to one pied tamarin, so I wouldn't be surprised if he either died or has been moved on.

EDIT: a friend of mine that visits regularly heard that there were plans to move the pied tamarin to another zoo, so it seems he may have been moved on.

14. lintworm

They still were in the collection last year.

15. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Snap :) was just editing my post to say they went out of them last year!

lintworm likes this.
  16. lintworm

Some news from the latest Zoojaar magazine.

The Talapoins are currently behind the scenes, as the 2 males have been joined by 2 females. They hope to create a new enclosure for them soon, possibly even walkthrough.

Pied Tamarins are still planned for the new walkthrough area (now already with Silvery Marmoset, Titi and White-faced Saki).

They have received a female Bearded Saki, so they hope to breed, even though the male was hand-raised.

LegoOwl, Antoine, twilighter and 5 others like this.
  17. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bearded Saki. That should be nice, a couple. Anything known about destiny of their second male bearded saki? And from originates this female bearded saki?

18. Lemur02

Lemur02 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do they plan on breeding talapoins? I believe the males came from Stichting AAP, which do sometimes castrate their rescued animals

19. vogelcommando

For the first time in 10 years a Lion-tailed macaque was born at Apenheul :).

Antoine and Dustin1999 like this.
  20. vogelcommando

Red titi born at Apenheul :).

Antoine and Jungle Man like this.