Join our zoo community

Apenheul Primate Park Apenheul Primate Park News

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by UntBwe, 9 Jan 2009.

1. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

A female crowned sifaka pasted away. She was 30 years and lived for 12 years in Apenheul, during those 12 years, she gave birth to 5 young.

2. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bad news!!!

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Recently two ape pregnancies were announced.

Most important is that Gorilla Gyasi is expecting a baby. The father is Baobao, who came from Taipei a few years ago and whose genes are completely unrepresented in the captive population.

Bonobo Kumbuka is also pregnant. Both births are expected early 2021.

Kifaru Bwana, Jambo, Goura and 5 others like this.
  4. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Gabby and Jungle Man like this.
  5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2 new males Pied tamarins have arrived :).

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  6. JurassicMax

Last Tuesday (16th) bonobo Kumbuka gave birth to her third child, the gender of the newborn is not yet determined.

Source:
    Bonobo geboren in Apenheul

7. JurassicMax

The newborn bonobo is a female!

Source:
    Instagram of Apenheul (02/03/2021) Login • Instagram

WanderingDragon and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Gorilla Gyasi has given birth, gender and name are still unknown. It is the first offspring of the silverback Bao Bao.

It is the 50th Gorilla Baby born in Apenheul, in the zoo's 50th anniversary.

Gorilla geboren

9. JurassicMax

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  10. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is there a project with giving the javan langurs a new enclosure?

JurassicMax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Specifically a new indoors. The current indoors is rather outdated and off-display to the visitors.

Valentin and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

O, I thought there has been build a new indoor enclosure for these langurs. That has been temporarily used for these proboscis. And the proboscis has left Holland.

13. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Since the proboscis monkeys left, that specific indoors has been used for the lion-tailed macaques as before (their area of the house is still behind the scenes) and the on-display area has been used for a variety of species. It was for collared mangabeys up until a few years ago, then it was for northern talapoin. From what I’ve heard the mangabeys are back in that enclosure now, and the talapoin are either offshow or elsewhere in the zoo.
    The langurs have been in a new enclosure by the exit to the orangutan area for 10 years now.

JurassicMax, Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. JurassicMax

At the beginning of April a Lion-tailed macaque (Macaca silenus) was born to parents Rajaja (female) and Eral (male).

Source:
    Instagram of Apenheul (09/05/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/COpQ0YuACgN/

MennoPebesma and Antoine like this.
  15. JurassicMax

The lion-tailed macaque is a male and was given the name Ravi.

On May the fifth a male Barbary macaque (Macaca sylvanus), he was given the name Tahrir.

Sources:
    Instagram of Apenheul (25/05/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CPS5EXxAvWk/
    Instagram of Apenheul (22/05/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CPLpdvGLEQm/

16. JurassicMax

17. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do not know if the general thread to apenheul is the right place to not this or if a new thread should be created but in case of the later please feel free to move the comment

No idea if this is just an impression but it seemed to me that both regular visitors and even enthusiasts were very fond of apenheul, without aknowleding a major issue that is very limited indoor spaces for the monkeys that almost entirely origin from the sub or directly tropics. Some island are also too small, like the capuchin and howler monkey enclosures at the squirrel moneky walk thru exhibit.

I have not been to the park for some jears now but the nocturnal house was also a bit narrow and the owl monkeys sort of forced to climb directly past the faces of the people.

I do not deny that the park is nice, but I have seen some developments over years I was very irritated by.

I genuinely dislike that the incredidle one of its kind asian farm was shrinked more and more until the domestic breeds had to live under the path system with little light and sand raining from above. The zebu enclosure was tiny and lacked enrichment.

The entire proboscis monkey story seemed to be set up for failure from the start on in my opion. The monkeys were given a very tiny indoor exhibit. Before I had even ever dreames about the possibility to see one myself in real life I have allready how shy and senstive they are, so to the locality was a shock.

Not just have they played the chances for themself to a certain extend but also robbed other european institutions to keep that species.
    They were believed to be the go to expert adress in europe, but from the description above I honestly doubted that.
    I do not state they would entirely be unprofessional but they do not live up to a reputation they seem to have.

I allways fantasized about a large hall with tropical plants that would allow great apes to roam thru a part of their natural habitat, and use to expect apenheul to be one of the first to built bigger indoor exhibits. I mean elephants were given such a lot lately and I believe one of the next candidates to profit from such a trend are great apes.

No idea if these monkey can handle the temperaturs of western europe during the winter, but I think only a limited amounr of time and the current indoor enclosures are on the smaller side especialy for a park dedicated to them.

18. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How long did they prepare for the Nasalis? Did they ever sent staff for training to learn how to keep the Nasalis? How long was the interval between announcing the arrival of the Nasalis and the actual arrival of the big-nosed simians?

19. JurassicMax

Goura likes this.
  20. GreatApeFan7

GreatApeFan7 Active Member

I heard the youngest male gorilla, Jabari, will be leaving the zoo (possibly to join his father Jambo and his brothers Mapasa, Wimbe and Mzungu at Al Ain Zoo?). Is there any news on his?

Last edited: 7 Jun 2021