Join our zoo community

Apparently Drugging of animals?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Elephants and Alligators, 3 Nov 2017.

1. Elephants and Alligators

Elephants and Alligators Member 5+ year member

Theres something odd going on. Everyone on the. Busch Gardens instagram page is spouting that they drug animals. Is there any evidence to prove this claim so?

2. Elephants and Alligators

3. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Animals receive drug treatments all the time. “Drugging” has such a negative connotation though. If no evidence is presented and the only anecdotes are “the kangaroos couldn’t keep their heads up, therefore, they must have been drugged”, you can pretty much write off their claims as unfounded and exaggerated.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. Elephants and Alligators

I agree. I asked for evidence, nothing so far. So I don’t believe them.

I have to take pills everyday. These are technically drugs. Maybe there giving animals drug treatments to help with a condition such as parasites or something like that. In fact, that’s probably it!

5. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m a keeper at a zoo and we give drugs to lots of animals for everything from anxiety, to arthritis, to allergies. I’m sure if you asked these people if it is ok to give drugs to your pets when their sick, they’d be perfectly fine with it but as soon as they’re zoo animals, the institution is “exploiting them”. The hypocrisy is laughable.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Why would you even pay attention to those sort of posts? To see where they came from I did a basic google search (because the mention of kangaroos is oddly-specific) and found a Tripadvisor review from last year saying "The Kangaroos, had a rubbish enclosure and wish they had more room in which we could see them moving, these kangaroos looked drugged, sleeping in their small areas."

Kangaroos like to sleep. In the wild they are crepuscular or nocturnal.

Most zoo visitors know next to nothing about animals. The particular ones on that Instagram thread have probably never even been to a zoo because "zoos are evil". I found a review of another theme park in Georgia (I think it was) where the person was saying the animals looked drugged because they were all asleep, and added for clarity that sure it was a hot day but was she supposed to believe that animals from Africa couldn't take the heat in Georgia.

Most important question you should ask: why on earth would a zoo want the animals in their enclosures to be drugged so that they are just lying there doing nothing? It makes zero sense.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

When I volunteered at my zoo (for many years) the visitors would comment on the sulfur water smell with things like "it smells because they don't take good care of the animals" and "oh my, they must be dying". Yeah, the smell was sulfur from the nearby fountain water that was not used for animals or people..eventually they put up a sign - but apparently people still can't read.

8. Elephants and Alligators

Yeah, it’s silly honestly now that I think about it!!