Join our zoo community

Applications of Chemistry related to Zoology

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by sealion, 26 Apr 2010.

1. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

I am thinking of studying either a Zoology degree or a Biology and Chemistry joint degree at university and would like to know whether chemistry is at all helpful in aspects of zoology and if anyone has any experience of studying chemistry at university level.
    I would probably be just doing the chemistry for interest but if it could help at all with anything zoological, that would be even better!
    Thanks

2. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

I do Zoology. Obviously my modules will be different to the one's you do, but in my first year, it was quite biological and chemistry based with some modules being lab based, looking at different chemicals that speed up reactions, and in ways they relate to the body. There is a lot of statistical maths involved as well, which is needed for all essay reports when proving or disproving hypotheses etc.
    I wish I had studied Biology at A level, as i felt it was a big jump going from GCSE biology to being expected to understand most of biology A level.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My degree was in Chemistry (with supplementary Biochemistry) many years ago. It was of some use when I was keeping fish (as an amateur hobbyist), but otherwise it has not helped me in animal related fields. I work as a chemistry and science teacher, with a few hours of animal care on top.

Alan

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The first time I went to uni I failed miserably in first semester because I couldn't get my head around the chemistry. First year biology was all about cell biology, so was full of chemistry too. If you're interested in microbiology, marine biology or biochemistry then a chemistry degree will be of benefit. If you want to work in a zoo, then chemistry will be of benefit if you want to be a vet or work in an aquarium.

However, if you enjoy chemistry, I would suggest you do it anyway. I found uni easiest when I was doing the subjects I enjoyed (and not the mandatory prerequisites I wasn't interested in). It certainly won't disadvantage you to have a chemistry degree and you may find uses for it we haven't thought of.

But I agree with PaulKarli08 - stats is a big part of a science degree, and most people hate it, but you will find statistics to be invaluable later in life (at least, I have).

:p

Hix

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Every study at university has statistics, so get used to it;)