Join our zoo community

Appreciation?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CiaranDUK, 9 Sep 2009.

1. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

I have recently bought a season card for Banham Zoo and was reading the magazine that came with it. I didn't realise the amount of animal movements that have happened at Banham (which is a small zoo) in only a year! They are (incase you're interested)
      • Female Cheetah to Africa Alive.
      • Male Fennec Fox to Africa Alive.
      • Male Fennec Fox from Africa Alive (different male),
      • Male Royal Python to Africa Alive,
      • Helmeted Guineafowl chicks to Africa Alive (hatching at Banham),
      • Male Ocelot to Amazona Zoo,
      • Male Cuban Amazon Parrot to Zoo Emmen,
      • pair of Yellow Faced Amazon Parrots to The Parrot Zoo,
      • pair of Salvin's Red-Lored Amazon to The Parrot Zoo,
      • Male Jardine's Parrot to The Parrot Zoo,
      • three Sun Conures from The Parrot Zoo,
      • flock of Rainbow Lorikeets (possibly from The Parrot Zoo aswell as others),
      • Male Roadrunner to Cotswold Wildlife Park,
      • Female Hawk Owl from The Hawk Conservancy,
      • female Bactrian Camel from Cotswold Wildlife Park,
      • Male Pygmy Marmoset to Port Lympne,
      • Female Pygmy Marmoset to Whipsnade,
      • family of three Ring-Tailed Lemurs (Mum, Dad and Son) to Manor House Wildlife Park,
      • Male Spider Monkey from Curraghs Wildlife Park,
      • female Sri Lankan Leopard to Zoo de la Palmyre,
      • Meerkat (sex unknown by me) to Calderglen Country Park
      • and Male Red Kangaroo to Zoo Emmen... ! Lol.

Basically, this has made me appreciate the lengths that Zoos go to to acquire new species to aid breeding programs of the animals in their care.

So, after all that, I was wondering why do YOU appreciate your local Zoo? I appreciate Banham because they have tried hard to acquire animals you don't always see in Zoos like Guirra Cuckoos, South African Fur Seals, Prairie Dogs, Crested Screamer, Red-Legged Seriemas, Formosan Sika Deer, Sri Lankan Leopards, Snow Leopards, Ocelot, Sun Conures, Sambirano Bamboo Lemurs, Red Bellied Lemurs, Sclater's Lemurs etc etc... Also all the animals are happy in their enclosures and never stereotype!

2. mammalguy

mammalguy Well-Known Member

thats quite a large figure for 1 whole year alot of public dont realise how much work goes into moves and stuff from zoo to zoo an banham isnt really that well known compared to woburn or west mids

3. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

There are a lot of movements between zoos, not just in the UK but globally as well. It's all part of various breeding programmes, collection changes and so on. Also some animals you might think that you've never seen them at your local zoo but there are a lot of animals held off show. I sometimes wonder if people really are aware of the work, effort and co-operation that goes on between zoos at all levels behind the scenes. All of the work being done very much with the animals well being and future in mind. A job of passion and dedication from all involved and a big well done and keep up the good work to keeper involved everywhere that allow us to enjoy and be amazed by the wonders of animals.

4. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

I appreciate my Local Zoo, Linton Zoo because they mayb be a very small family run Zoo but the ammount of effort and passion that goes into running the place and looking after the animals as best they can is just astounding.They really do love their animals so much :)

5. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

At Marwell, we recieve an animal update at each monthly oryx club meeting. This chronicles most of the births, deaths, arrivals and departures at the park, and it's amazing how much does occur within just a few weeks. We don't have meetings in August and December, so the September and January updates can be quite long. :)

6. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If only all zoos kept their members so well informed.