Join our zoo community

April Photo Showcasing

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Julio C Castro, 1 Apr 2020.

1. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/albums/april-photo-showcasing.28/

I hope everyone is doing well and practicing social distancing during these dire times. Just wanted to start the photo showcase for this month so we can show off our best work! Here are the guidelines:

1. 4 entries per month.
    2. They can upload photos that can be found in the regular gallery if they’d like to.
    3. Photos don’t have to necessarily have to be from the month aforementioned in the title although it can take some time to develop photos.
    4. It must be photos we consider our best work meaning not blurry or potentially boring such as an animal butt as said before.
    5. To have the photos be of different subjects per month although they can be of the same subject the following month as long as all the entries for the month aren’t of the same one. Example such as 4 entries of the same big cat or pachyderm won’t be taken into consideration but you can enter the same photo of the big cat or pachyderm the following month along with 3 other different subjects.
    6. Photos aren’t strictly limited to zoological gardens. They can be from sanctuaries, aquariums, nature reserves.
    7. Do try your best to add where they were taken either in the description or by adding tags.

And knowing most zoos and aquariums are closed during to COVID-19, feel feee to upload older photos for the showcasing and just remember to be safe :oops:

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for continuing on with the photo showcase. This is a really great idea you had.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  3. Julio C Castro

Thank you very much! I’m glad it turned out well and being able to see so many talented folks on here with their awesome shots add onto the showcasing has been a treat :p

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I got my film developed last month - 42 rolls! - so I finally have some contributions :)

5. Julio C Castro

Sweet! Can’t wait to see your work :)

6. Arizona Docent

@TinoPup Considering film is a niche service these days, it is considerably more expensive than it used to be. It must have been a hit to your wallet to develop 42 rolls at once!

7. TinoPup

With a discount, it was around $1,000.

8. Julio C Castro

Damn that’s a fortune on developing them but worth it to have the best images in the original medium :)

TinoPup likes this.
  9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Wow! And here's me resisting paying a tenth of that that for more storage to hold tens of thousands of photos.

TinoPup likes this.
  10. TinoPup

Hell, I resist paying for that, too LOL. The rolls got a little out of hand last year; there were some that I had misplaced the year before so didn't get sent, and then I got my other camera fixed and started using the 200 lens on it, which meant more photos that I normally couldn't have taken. My dad offered to pay as soon as his house sold, and there were issues with that, meanwhile I was still taking more photos... ;)

11. TinoPup

@Arizona Docent @RetiredToTheZoo

Here's some photos of my cameras!

So here's the main one I use, with the lens removed so you can see the screw part.

91882636_1168778713488445_1306404059304951808_n.jpg

Here's mine next to each other. The one on the left is a bayonet. The bodies are identical, except for the one on the right having a few extra tiny screws holding the body together and a label on the bottom that says "Assembled in China". The one on the left was purchased by my dad off of a co-worker ~15 years ago. The one on the right I got off of craigslist from a widower. It came with the leather case, plus several lenses and attachments and things.

92133479_3862000113840380_2305111567693250560_n.jpg

Here's the attachment we've been talking about, broken down to each piece.

92160046_527336897985134_4244621904104652800_n.jpg

And here's all of the pieces together.

92460666_1120376931647066_5829379400839200768_n.jpg

12. Arizona Docent

So wait, you have one body with a bayonet mount and one with a screw mount? I know Pentax used screw mount on previous models, but I thought K1000 was always bayonet mount. Is there an adapter you use on the screw mount body to accept that lens, or is the body itself screw mount? If so someone must have modified it (or maybe there were some Chinese knockoffs with that because I thought they were all made in Japan).

13. TinoPup

Yep, one of each. The body itself, and all of the things that came with it, are screw mount; I couldn't figure out an angle to get a photo to show the inside of the camera body. It's not modified. The owner was meticulous - it came with all of the original stuff, the original information booklet, everything, in practically brand new condition. Very few K1000s were made in Japan, most were made or assembled in Hong Kong or China.

It was a pain for a while because I preferred my extra bayonet lenses (I was used to them) and when I broke that camera body, I couldn't use them on the screw mount camera. I finally got that body fixed last summer so I've been keeping both with me, leaving the 200 lens on the one body so I can just grab the different cameras instead of switching lenses.

14. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can definitely see from the photo of the screw mount body that it does indeed have a M42 screw mount to K mount adapter installed. The K1000 was the first K mount camera made and there were no K1000s manufactured with a screw mount. The K in K1000 designates K mount and that designation carries on today. The K mount was designed to be large enough for an adapter to fit inside of it so M42 screw mount lenses could be mounted at the proper distance to maintain infinity focus. The early K1000s were shipped with the adapter included because of the abundance of M42 lenses.

The 2 notches opposite each other (by the red dot and opposite) are for a tool to be inserted allowing one to be able to rotate the adapter and remove it just as you would with a K mount bayonet lens. Many will just use a small screwdriver, needle nose pliers, a homemade tool, or a third party tool. Oddly enough, Pentax never included the tool or offered it for sale. If it says Asahi Pentax or Pentax on the top and Japan on the bottom, then the adapter is genuine Pentax. If it says anything else or has no markings, it is a third party which many have had quality problems and get stuck on the camera that requires a disassembly of the mount to remove. That can be difficult because of the springs and parts inside of it can fly out.

I'm curious about your 35mm lens. If it's one of the versions of the Takumar 35mm, you could have a real gem. The original lens shipped with the K1000 was K mount 50mm. Your lens is probably older than the camera.

Edited to add: If you were to decide to go digital, you can use all your lenses in manual mode (like you do now) on the Pentax DSLRs of today.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2020