Join our zoo community

AquaZoo Leeuwarden Aqua zoo news

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by kiang, 16 Jul 2015.

1. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Literally said it is yet to be announced and you be throwing the furthest throw out there... I think just wait and see. Think simple species I guess. Aquazoo ain't about the unique big mountain species

MennoPebesma likes this.
  2. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Most probably not. The new tiger area is to represent the Amur River/wetlands.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hoofstock deer as in Sika Deer perhaps? Water deer like Chinese or Pere Davids seem not out of place. Other alternatives?

MennoPebesma likes this.
  4. MennoPebesma

There are some rumours about possible species. Sika deer and Père David's deer are among them. It seems almost certain that the red-crowned cranes, which are currently elsewhere in the zoo, will also move to this area.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. MennoPebesma

The contractor for the new tiger enclosure at AquaZoo took images of the area with a drone this week.

The aim is to have the enclosure ready by mid/end of April.

JurassicMax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. MennoPebesma

Several young animals have been born this spring in AquaZoo Leeuwarden. One of the tammar wallabies (Macropus eugenii) has a young in its pouch. The group now consists of four animals, father, mother, a young from last year and this young.

On 7 March, two Asian small-clawed otters (Aonyx cinereus) were born. At the moment, they cannot be seen by visitors. Soon they will open their eyes and probably soon after that they can be seen in the indoor enclosure. Here they will have to get used to water before they can go outside.

A while ago, tadpoles were born to the Majorcan midwife toads (Alytes muletensis). These can be seen in one of the aquariums, so visitors can see the transformation from tadpole to adult frog.

Source: Lente is begonnen in AquaZoo | AquaZoo

Some other things from my visit last weekend:

- The new aquarium at the beginning of the indoor area now has a gravel substrate. A number of anemones are now growing on the stones. It will probably not be long before the new species can be seen here.

- The Blue vampire crabs (Geosesarma dennerle) also have a number of young.

- It seems that the Hermann's tortoises (Testudo hermanni) are out of the collection.

- It seems that also the Flemish Giant rabbits are out of the collection at the petting zoo.

- The work on the new tiger enclosure seems to be nearly completed. There is still some finishing work to be done, such as laying the visitor paths. They also seem to be working on the new enclosure which will be built on the spot where the emus were previously.

- The Baer's pochards (Aythya baeri) are back in the Asia aviary. Soon a new pair will arrive from Artis. AquaZoo already has two males.

Kifaru Bwana, JoJo22, Antoine and 2 others like this.
  7. MennoPebesma

The first Siberian tiger has arrived! Several visitors have seen a the tiger from a distance in the new enclosure at AquaZoo Leeuwarden. Whether this is the male from Hungary or the female from the Beekse Bergen is not known.

The new Amur area cannot be visited yet. The exact opening date will be announced shortly. In all probability, this will be next week.

It is also known which species will be housed in the new enclosure next to the tigers: Père David's deer!

8. MennoPebesma

The new Amur area will be open to visitors from Saturday 30 April onwards. On Friday evening 29 April there is a special evening opening for season ticket holders.

JurassicMax likes this.
  9. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pere David's deer is a great addition to this park. I rarely see parks refer to how they used to live in swampy areas and I always like it when this is referenced.

10. MennoPebesma

Since this weekend, the new Amur area has been open to visitors! Currently, the only inhabitants of this area are the Amur tigers. Père David's deer will soon join in another new enclosure, and it has also been confirmed that the red-crowned cranes will move to this area. Later on the gibbons will arrive in the area as well. Pictures of the new area are in the gallery!

A few other things I noticed yesterday:
    - AquaZoo Leeuwarden has a new map. There are also a number of new things on it. Longsnout seahorse (Hippocampus reidi) will soon come to the indoor area. The cotton-top tamarins are no longer indicated on the map, but there is still one animal present. The wadden area with the two aquariums will finally be opened in mid-2022. The black-necked swans will move into the tapir enclosure as soon as the measures surrounding bird flu are over.

New zoo map: Plattegrond - AquaZoo, jouw ontdekkingstocht start hier

- The Azaras agoutis have young again. I have seen three.

- The hamerkop in the ibis aviary have built a nest.

- The Eurasian eagle-owls have also made a nest.

- And the black-crowned night herons, little egrets and black-necked swans in the Asia aviary have also made nests.

- Sad news at the South American fur seals. A few weeks ago the male suddenly died. This week the female moved to Wildlands in Emmen. This means there are no more fur seals in AquaZoo Leeuwarden. It is not known what will happen to the enclosure now.

11. MennoPebesma

AquaZoo Leeuwarden has permanently stopped keeping South American fur seals. After the death of the male, it was decided to stop keeping this species and the last female was moved to Wildlands in Emmen. For the short as well as for the long term, the zoo is now thinking about what to do with the enclosure.

JurassicMax and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A White-faced saki has been born at Leeuwarden.

Haliaeetus and MennoPebesma like this.
  13. MennoPebesma

That's correct, but it was born in January (See quoted post below). The recent facebook post from AquaZoo said that the young is almost 6 months old. And thus almost fully grown and mature.

JurassicMax likes this.
  14. MennoPebesma

Yesterday I went to AquaZoo again, here are some updates:

- In the future seahorse aquarium there are currently no seahorses. But there should already be a shrimp in it. I haven't been able to spot it myself, so I don't know what species it is yet. There are also some new corals in the tank.

- At the petting zoo, I didn't see any Java sparrows anymore, their sign was also gone.

- The black-necked swans are now in the tapirs' enclosure.

- The young Asian small-clawed otters are not allowed to go outside yet, but looking at the adjustments to their enclosure, it won't be long before they can.

- Last week, five North American beavers were born.

- The former beach of the Californian sea lions is now a play beach for children. Benches have been placed around it as extra seating at the nearby catering facility.

- A new species is the Père David's deer. In a new enclosure next to the new tiger enclosure, there are now two young females of this species. I have heard that a male will be added later.

- From Artis a new pair of Baer's pochards has arrived for the Asia aviary. AquaZoo already had two males of this species.

15. MennoPebesma

Yesterday I went to AquaZoo again, some updates from my visit:

- The main inhabitants (seahorses) of the new Caribbean Sea Aquarium are not there yet, but the aquarium is increasingly being filled with other smaller animals. Several types of coral and sponges have already been added. There are also smaller reef inhabitants such as peppermint shrimps, snails and a sea urchin.

- The last cotton-top tamarin has left the zoo.

- The Java sparrows in the petting zoo aviary have returned.

- The red-crowned cranes are back in their old enclosure. Here they have also hatched a young.

- One of the young beavers did not survive. The other four come out of the burrow regularly.

- The kangaroos and wallabies have access to the back path and the water again.

- New species in the Asia aviary: the mandarin duck. I have seen two of them. In the same aviary, the little egrets have multiple young.

- Renovation work has been carried out in the former fur seal enclosure, the little beach at the back of the enclosure can now be seen again.. I am very curious what we can expect in this enclosure in the future.

16. MennoPebesma

The two females come from Ostrava Zoo, Czech Republic. They were born there last year. They will soon be joined by a male from Pairi Daiza.

Haliaeetus, JurassicMax and Gil like this.
  17. MennoPebesma

New species in AquaZoo: the longsnout seahorse (Hippocampus reidi). There are now ten of these species swimming in the new Caribbean reef aquarium, together with shrimps, sea urchins and corals.

Source

JurassicMax and Haliaeetus like this.
  18. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

The piranha enclosure in the inside area has been closed off and emptied, though we're not yet sure what's going to happen to it

20220815_112301.jpg

Last edited: 15 Aug 2022
    JurassicMax likes this.
  19. MennoPebesma

It is now known that the piranha aquarium is getting a refurbishment. The piranhas have been temporarily housed elsewhere.

Some other updates:

- Earlier this month, a male Père David's deer arrived from Pairi Daiza. At AquaZoo he is housed together with two females.

- The black-necked swans are back in the enclosure with the Vicuñas and greater rheas.

- A new education point is being built on the lemur island.

- A while ago, the former fur seal enclosure has been added to the humboldt penguin enclosure. At first, the penguins made little use of this extension, but now they can be found there more and more often.

- From 16 September to 30 October, there are Dino Weeks again at AquaZoo Leeuwarden. During these weeks, 20 dinosaurs can be found in the park. Some of them can also move and make sounds.

JurassicMax and Mr Gharial like this.
  20. MennoPebesma

Last week, during a visit to AquaZoo, a keeper told me that the two Amur tigers had been put together in the same enclosure that morning. In the afternoon, they were separated again. As far as I know, this was the first time they were together without a fence between them, or at least one of the first times.

JurassicMax likes this.