Join our zoo community

Aquaculture exhibit

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by TheMightyOrca, 8 Nov 2014.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

So I'm trying to put together a fantasy aquarium, and I'd like some input as to whether my aquaculture exhibit would be a good/feasible idea. It would basically be a big building with functioning indoorr fish farms. Different tanks would feature the different types of marine life farmed around the world. Some of the "farmed" organisms would be fed to animals in the zoo (to help promote a sustainability know-where-your-food-is-coming-from message) and possibly even to guests. Panels and video screens around the building would educate guests about the different types of aquaculture as well as the harvesting of wild fish, along with the pros and cons of each. A few of the tanks would be designed to resemble fish farming done in the ocean. The aquarium would use the facility to conduct research and experimentation for fish farming.

Like, would this work, or is it too impractical for an aquarium?

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Sounds nice and if it's well done I guess it can work very well !
    Even so, the idea is not new. At the beginning of this year I visited X-caret-park in Mexico and found here - next to an Orchid-farm and a Mush-room-farm also a fish-farm. Several ( in this case freshwater ) fish species ( for example Tilapia ) were kept here in a fish-farm set-up with many sign informing about the how and why.
    This farm ( I guess about an hectare ) was however outdoors so your indoor-idea would be new and to educate people about the fragility of the seas and oceans could maybe help at least a little to save them !

3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

I saw an indoor fish farm on TV and was all like "I like that idea I'm stealing it". Pretty cool to know that some zoos are doing it; I just wasn't sure if it was a practical idea cost-wise. (I don't know how much things cost)

4. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

I recently visited Adventure Aquarium and they had an aquaculture exhibit where they showed the different stages of the mysid shrimp and artemia (Brine Shrimp) that they raised to feed some of their animals.