Join our zoo community

Aquarium ideas!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by TheBoysofSummer, 1 Jul 2015.

1. TheBoysofSummer

TheBoysofSummer Member

Hey all, I have recently been getting into aquarium design and after visiting she'd aquarium in the spring and Georgia aquarium last year I was hooked. I came up with my very own aquarium design and though I have no visuals I feel it is a complete design encompassing all aquatic habitats. I come from Cleveland Ohio, so I made an exhibit that centered around the Great Lakes. Anyways. Enjoy. And please any suggestions about exhibits or animals to include to complete it would be great.

Northwest Coast:
    Simulation of the Pacific Northwest containing rocky habitats for sea otters, sea lions, harbor seals, and pelicans are all situated here. Down below you can view these species underwater and get up close with a tide pool.

Dolphin bay:
    Watch in wonder as Pacific white sided Dolphins splash around in their lagoon habitat. Several demonstrations are offered daily between the Dolphins and their trainers.

Arctic Coast: The arctic is a chilly place for our resident beluga whales and walruses. Learn all about the inuit way of life and encounter fish and invertebrates from this region underground.

Wetlands Boardwalk: Ohio Wetlands are in trouble! Learn about how you can help save the wetlands and get up close looks with beavers, bald eagles, and river otters.

Life on the Great Lakes: The Great Lakes are the largest source of freshwater in the world and are brimming with creatures many of us have never heard of. Learn about the invasive zebra mussel and touch a lake sturgeon. Watch out for shipwrecks though. Also a variety of turtles, frogs and invertebrates.

Freshwater world: from murky swamps in Mississippi to tropical African lakes. Many aquatic animals are found only in freshwater. Follow the rivers of the world and come face to face with mudskippers, cichlids, alligators, and lungfish.

Colder waters: the centerpiece of this gallery is the two story kelp forest with living kelp. Aside from that are many other temperate marine creatures from pacific octopus to the wolf eel. A nice addition is the sea cliffs habitat, home to puffins and diving birds.

Carribbean reef: one of the aquariums oldest standing exhibits, our colorful carribbean reef contains bonnet head sharks, moray eels, sea turtles and a variety of reef fish. Down the hall are a bounty of seahorses.

Living Fossils: For some species, time stands still. Get up close to small sharks and Learn all about ancient seas and animals from that time that are still alive today.

Amazon Flooded Forest: The second longest river in the world is home to an amazing variety of flora and fauna. From the canopy to its watery basement journey into the amazon to find piranhas, giant catfish, howler monkeys, and an anaconda.

Into the Deep: Step inside a replica submersible and peer into the lives of the inhabitants of the ocean’s depths.

The Open Sea: observe schools of tuna, mackerel, and sardines amongst sand tiger, sandbar, and hammerhead sharks in an expansive blue habitat. Also meet our ocean drifters like the nautilus.

Predator cove: Indo-pacific reefs are brimming with fish. Learn all about blacktip reef sharks, wobbegongs, and zebra sharks. Also meet the Queensland grouper, our largest bony fish. Wings on the water is home to several Ray species.

Coral kingdom: Coral reefs are made up of animals, not plants. Take a look inside at where the aquarium grows their coral and see the many inhabitants of coral reefs from the Red Sea, the Great Barrier Reef, and the South Pacific.

Jellyfish storm: Climate Change has brought about a flux of jellyfish populations, Meet the ainmals that are 90% water, have no brains, and are on the rise all over the world.

Penguin Point: Subantarctic king, rockhopper, and macaroni penguins are at play in the land where the summers are dark and winters are warm. Next door visit Humboldt penguins from South America, and learn about these birds in the discovery center.

Americas shores: There are many species of marine life found on the coasts of America from cape cod to key west. Get up close in touch tanks to stingrays, horseshoe crabs, and other crustaceans. Or walk through the shorebird aviary with our feathered friends.

Amphibian antics: grab a lily pad and hop along past a very unique group of animals. Over 25 species of amphibians call this home including Japanese giant salamanders.

Wild weather: gale force winds, waterspouts, and monsoons are just some of the crazy weather phenomena found in this gallery.

2. TheBoysofSummer

TheBoysofSummer Member

I would also like to add that since there aren't many aquarium forums here, anybody else's aquarium ideas are welcome!

3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

Pretty cool! I love the way you describe it, it's like reading a website for a place that exists.

4. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

I love this idea! I'd love if you went into even more detail on each exhibit

5. TheMightyOrca

Since you're allowing for other ideas...

I'd do a fishing and aquaculture center as an area. Get people to learn where their seafood comes from, and help them make more sustainable choices. Guests would learn about the pros and cons of The animals on display would be sea creatures that are commonly caught or farmed for food. Some of the exhibits would be actual functioning farms where harvested fish and crustaceans get fed to other animals in the zoo. (and maybe on special occasions, even to guests!)

Species would include Chinook salmon, Nile tilapia, common carp, rainbow trout, Atlantic bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, sturgeon, giant tiger prawn, Pacific white shrimp, abalone and other mollusks, Chinese river crabs, crawfish, squid, white sardine, and lobster.

6. TheMightyOrca

Another exhibit I'd do is an Invasive Species one. A series of tanks will display invasive species that have been introduced to freshwater and saltwater environments around the world. Signs on each exhibit will show the native and introduced range of the animals. Guests will learn about how invasive species get introduced to their new environments, what kind of damage they cause, and how they can avoid spreading invasive species. Animals on display include the red-eared slider, red lionfish, zebra mussel, black carp, white spotted jellyfish, snakehead fish, Chinese mitten crab, Nile perch, and perhaps goldfish or koi.

7. TheMightyOrca

Too late to edit the post, but I noticed a typo. :p

8. TheBoysofSummer

TheBoysofSummer Member

Alright. I’ve been on vacation the past few weeks and really haven’t had time on my laptop. I’m home now and after reading the comments and great suggestions i think i will go deeper into the details of each area of this aquarium.

9. TheMightyOrca

Think the Fishing and Aquaculture Center could also have display on the hunting of marine mammals for food?

10. TheMightyOrca

Another idea, a whale fall exhibit! A big tank with a fake whale carcass. Maybe there could be 3 tanks and each would represent a different stage of the whale fall. There could be different types of crustaceans, hagfish, maybe even a sleeper shark.

11. TheMightyOrca

How about this: ultimate orca exhibit! Orcas are found all over in the ocean and are one of the most widespread mammal species on Earth. While they're more common in colder waters, they still inhabit a variety of marine regions. An orca exhibit could be a series of connected tanks where each tank represents a different coast or a different part of the ocean. Each tank has its own separate viewing area and practically functions as its own exhibit. In each viewing area, guests learn how orcas live in these different environments and how the lifestyles, appearances, and diets of different populations vary all over the world. Each viewing area could also have some smaller aquariums to show off other types of marine life in those environments.

A Pacific Northwest tank could have round rocks on the bottom to function as a "rubbing beach". It could also have live kelp. A Norway/Iceland one would have dark blue painted walls, a rocky bottom, and real ice floes placed in from time to time. Maybe even a machine that occasionally throws snow over the tank. (I wonder if this could be rigged so the orcas could turn it on on their own?) The tropical tank would be painted a lighter blue, there would be a sandy bottom, but due to the colder water, coral and seagrass would have to be fake. Open sea would have dark walls, and be the deepest part of the exhibit, and may have live fish. One of the tanks could have an underwater tunnel through it, perhaps the open sea one? There could be an educational show where a trained orca follows the tour guide and the audience through the different areas and performs behaviors based off of natural behaviors.